“Cheap hotel, but bad experience”

Tower Hotel Waterford
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I've had to stay in Waterford a few times for work, and on a recent visit decided to stay in the Tower Hotel, as there was an excellent deal available. I think I paid around 30-35 for B&B. I arrived around evening time, and I was given a lovely big double room, but it emerged that the WIFI wasn't working - its vital that I have WIFI for work purposes... I was told that in some parts of the hotel the signal is poor. Not impressed!

Had an okay meal at the bar, not anything to do with the hotel but some crazy tried to start conversation, so had to leave for peace of mind (evening was getting progressively worse!). Then... at around 10pm I was awoken by the sound of live music downstairs - when I rang reception I was told that there was an event on in the ballroom, and that the music would be on for a couple of hours. It literally sounded like my room was right above the ballroom, and I asked to be moved. Grudgingly, a lady from the hotel brought me to a new room - sarcastically asking me if "I couldn't sleep" and throwing my bags into my new room definitely got the blood boiling! The "new" room was in the older section of the hotel, the bathroom and windows were mouldy and were not doubleglazed, so I was awoken a few times with people coming home (?) from nightclubs. I'm not a light sleeper, and it's not something I usually complain about!

So, overall, not a good experience in the Tower. Will happily pay an extra 20euro for one of the other 3star hotels in Waterford.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)

Reviewed March 18, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for one night on 16 March Room 306. We went to the bar first for a drink ..lovely bar ..the two lads behind the counter really couldnt have cared less about the customers. We were told we were ugraded to an executive suite free of charge( great views) and the room did have iron, kettle tea making facilities etc just a bit dated. The car park was free and huge (please ignore previous ridiculous comments) . Had a look into the leisure facility ..was doing a roaring trade unfortunately didn't bring my swim gear..fab looking pool. We had a meal for two in the restaurant €59 for 2 for a four course meal including wine and it was excellent. .Checking out a blonde receptionist was alone and under pressure ..it showed!!. All in all a nice hotel..the small things let it down bnut nothing major...it's very central, the staff are pretty nice especially the restaurant staff are really excellent and breakfatst staff would definitelf recommend if you get a web deal its a fab hotel overall.. two thumbs up!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Treatment from the staff here wasnt what i would expect from such a big place, they obviously havent heard much about customer service! from rooms not being ready, mistakes with the therapies bookings, and tryin to cover there tracks, it wouldnt really rate this place! On the other side though, room was bloody massive! pity they didnt clean it!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2011

The Tower was one of the city's premier hotels but now 'enjoys' considerable competition from others. The Tower has a leading edge on location with a good car park behind. Competition has brought down the rates without diminishing the service too much. We booked one night's bed and breakfast as we were in the city on an errand. We had planned to eat at Cafe Goa on the quay (wrongly mapped on Trip Advisor!) but as it was lashing rain, we ate in the hotel bar. Two very enjoyable steaks, each cooked as ordered, with excellent chips and a bottle of good house Cabernet Sauvignon went down a treat. Two well made Irish coffees followed and hit the spot. Our bill of just under €120 for dinner, bed and a cooked breakfast was good value.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2011

A few weeks ago, I had the displeasure of staying in this spectacularly bad hotel. When I came home, I badly wanted to write a review in the hopes of sparing potential guests the horrors which await them. I held off though, thinking that the hotel was having and off day and everyone deserves a second chance.

The booking was made on a corporate rate and is the main hotel they use in Waterford.

The first time we stayed there were plenty of problems. First off is the world’s smallest carpark, tapered at one end and if there are more than a handful of cars in it, you haven't a hope of getting in.... or out. Checked in and in fairness, the staff were nice. Up to the room then and I was dismayed by it. Dirty stained walls, paint chips everywhere. The TV didn't work. That usually wouldn't bother me much. But the bed was terrible. You could compress the springs with an apple. You could put the pillows through a letterbox. And there was only one each. In the restaurant, we had dinner. More due to lack of options than anything else. Everything that was meant to be hot was lukewarm. Everything meant to be crispy was limp and I'm pretty sure that the desert came straight from Aldi. Worst nights sleep in years and I was delighted when morning came. It was a Sunday morning, with nothing to do - and we were out of bed and ready to leave at 7:45.

Imagine the surprise when we had to go again. The room quality this time was much better. Apart from the following: 1)The shower had about as much pressure as the tear ducts of a weeping child, 2) The TV had BOTH channels (RTE 1 and 2), 3) The room was cold and the radiator wouldn’t work and 4) The bed felt like there was only 4 springs in it and the top and bottom of it were like concrete. Imagine, if you will, trying to sleep on a wooden sandwich, where the wood is separated by a balloon. Every few minutes, the springs went sideways.

After our experience in the restaurant the last time, we opted for bar food this time. Again, the service was shocking. There were no more than 10 people in the bar – and it’s a big bar – and they still took 15 minutes to even notice we were there. The waiter must have passed us 5 times and even when we said “Excuse me” he scurried off like someone who lost a winning lottery ticket in a gale. The food, when it came, was okay. The chicken korma wasn’t a korma and the chicken had the same consistency as chewing feathers.

I had the second worst sleep in many years that night. (For the worst, see above) Up at 6:15 because I couldn’t lie there awake anymore.

Went for breakfast and waited at the “please wait to be seated” sign for a good 5 minutes as the same waiter from the previous night continued to pursue that lottery tickets. He passed me at least 5 times, not once acknowledging my presence. I lost my patience and just walked into the dining room. I’d love to know why the waiter was so busy – there were 9 people in the dining room and 3 of them were staff. You probably wouldn’t tell by this review that I’m not all that hard to satisfy when it comes to hotels. Comfy bed, decent shower and half-efficient service is all I ask. Incidentally, if you’re looking for wallpaper paste, ask them if they have any porridge left from the morning I was there.

For a hotel to get this much so badly wrong takes some effort. A little bit spent on tidying the rooms up would go a long way. And assuming that waiter catches up with his lottery ticket, the service can only improve.

But in the meantime, for me, a leaky tent at the foot of the tower itself would be more appealing that this abomination. To be this bad takes effort and that alone should be a source of pride.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Boumticlad
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Tower Hotel and enjoyed it very much. Nothing about the hotel caused complaint, we were really happy with everything about the service, the setting, the food, the staff etc. etc. etc. There were some really noisy guests on the Saturday night which the porter or night manager managed to quieten with some effort but that was not the fault of the hotel, only the guests!!!! I had a facial and massage which was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2011

without doubt, the worst hotel I ever stayed in. Awful yellow walls, smallest bathroom on the planet, bed linen awful, curtains awful. never ever again will I go anywhere near it

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family