“Worst Ever !!”
Review of Woodlands Hotel

Woodlands Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

I am currently sitting in my room and in all honestly of I could leave I would. 3 hour drive and I'm quite tired and hungry. The restaurant is closed but you can eat in the bar. The bar has kids running around at 8pm. Made 3 members of staff aware I wished to order food and over 15 minutes later not even a menu. I then asked for a manager and was told that there were no mangers on until tomorrow ???? The receptionist simply bit her lip and had a vacant look on her face and offered no assistance to help or resolve the issue.

I've ordered room service which was fun also as it took quite a while to have reception pick up the phone. Was then transferred to the bar and put on hold for an age.

Appalling service and if I knew the area better Id be gone.

Take my advice and avoid as if your life depended on it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank brum041
Deirdre K, Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on tripadvisor, your opinions and feedback is appreciated.

I know our general Manager, Larry Bowe has spoken personally to you in relation to your comments and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Woodlands Hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here on Saturday 8th of march with my 2 sisters and my niece(aged 10). When we got to our room the smell of paint was so strong we had to open the window straight away( which didn't really help). 3 walls in the room had been freshly painted and 1 of the walls was just covered with plywood! As I'm 8months pregnant this really wasn't acceptable so we decided to see if we could change rooms, the receptionist said she could change our room but the only other one available was over the ballroom where there was a large function on and with a child with us we decided it was better to stay where we were! We were just settling into the room when there was a knock at the door and a man came into tune our tv, I understand these things have to be done but when you can't check in to the hotel until 3pm you'd expect this to be done before you check-in!!

We booked a table in the restaurant for 7pm and arrived to a freezing cold, freshly painted, empty dinning room. As we were the only table in the restaurant it seemed like we were given the menu from the function that was on, which had basically nothing on it! The food was horrible, cold, bland and the dessert was in edible!!
The only nice thing about our stay was the staff and the breakfast!! For what we paid for the hotel it was really disappointing and don't think any of us would return again!!
I complained to the receptionist when we were checking out and she took down all my details and assured me the manager would call me that afternoon which was Sunday the 9th of march and as of yet I haven't heard from anyone at the hotel.

I understand that all places of business need a lick of paint every now and again but as I booked the hotel in January and had been in contact with them before we arrived I really think they should of told us they were renovating the rooms. What was supposed to be a special night for my sister before her upcoming wedding was just a real disappointment!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Suzi T
Deirdre K, Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your recent review of the Woodlands Hotel.

We are very disappointed to read of your experience during your recent stay and are truly sorry for any inconvenience caused. We are currently in the final stages of our refurbishment of which will be completed this week.

We were also disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with our Dining offering. We take pride in the quality of our cuisine and in our service and it is disheartening to know that we did not meet your expectations. We have taken note of your comments in relation to this and will discuss it with our team immediately.

I sincerely hope that we do have the privilege of welcoming you back again and I am confident then that you will have a more memorable experience.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Thank you for you stay the hotel was lovely and the food was too but the lasangh was a bit dry and the chips but it was very expensive for a small piece of it and a small of blow of chips were lovely the room was very stuffy and the pool was my favorite and the steam room and jacuzzi was nice and relaxing the breakfast was lovely

Room Tip: it a lovely place to stay
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Deirdre K, Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time and interest in reviewing the Woodlands. It is with pleasure to read that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and leisure centre.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We are currently staying in this hotel (but only for another hour). Kids allowed to run riot through reception and bar all day long. And considering the wooden floorboards in the bar, this is very annoying to those of us having a rare night away from our own kids. Parents are at fault, but staff should have said something. Bar food is VASTLY overpriced, and woefully below standard. €16 for a burger? Just up the road is a great little place called Oskars with a huge, reasonable menu. Do yourself a favour. We were upgraded to the bridal suite because it took the hotel 5 days to return my call to make reservation. Nice room, but hate to imagine the other rooms. This room is right next to the lift. And we had to listen to more kids playing with the lift until the early hours. The room is right over the outside smoking area, and my wife and I woke this morning smelling like we have had 20 Rothmans each. And the best of all. I have just switched the kettle on, and blown the power to the room. No lights. No shower. Incredible. I have never seen anything like in any other hotel. We are just about to head for breakfast. In trepidation.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PaulMc66

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit.

I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and would like to extend my apologies to you for this. I have taken into consideration your constructive comments and can assure you that they have been observed and acted upon by us.

It is unfortunately that you didn't advise management during your stay as we would have made every effort to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, however, I do hope you will visit us again in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Lovely hotel that has great staff. We did get on the wrong side of the night porter one night but once that was rectified we met him the next night and he was very lovely. The food in the main function room was AMAZING! The bar food was ok, the hotel room was dead on - I didn't think it an over-priced hotel and so you get what you pay for. For the price of our stay, this hotel is great! It has good sized rooms, a good bar, reception area, function room, a pool and spa, loads of parking and is very handy to Waterford city. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Deirdre K, Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review the Woodlands Hotel, we are delighted to read you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Woodlands in the very near future.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here twice now found the staff very friendly and was very clean the food was great and enjoyed the swimming pool every chance I got. The bar was fantastic the prices were great really felt like home from home hope to be back again soon. Took my brother with me the second time and he thought the same, also a great location. Patrick Byrne Oban.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Mr. Byrne Oban,

Thank you for your lovely comments and look forward to welcoming you back once again to the Woodlands Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 9, 2014

i enjoyed swimming in the pool and the hot tub and steem room, however, the telly was old the room was stofy i heard loud music coming from my room i couldnt sleep at all and i suffer with panic attacks and didnt get a distace sleep, the pillows was unfortable, the staffs in there are very helpful down at breakfast and the swimming i hope to come back there soon in the future

Room Tip: i want the room to be on the way top floor and a smoking room and not too softy and confortable pill...
1  Thank softgirl2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for completing a review of your recent stay.

However, I was disappointed to read that some of your experiences were not up to standard and I very much apologise for this and will certainly take on board your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Woodlands Hotel in the very near future.