“Great stay for family”
Review of Woodlands Hotel

Woodlands Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Recently stayed in the woodlands with family. Have to say one of the best weekends we have had in a while. The staff are friendly and accommodating without being too in your face. Food was good for a 3 star hotel. All in all a great weekend. If I had to mention a staff member it would have to be the manageress that fixed our door handle(dark hair white shirt)She is Very friendly and professional and gave great tips on things to do in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
ClaireOMahony01, General Manager at Woodlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your respond. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Woodlands Hotel. I will ensure to pass your comments on to the team as I am sure they will find this very motivating especially the manageress. In these tough times I am very fortunate to have a team that are so flexible

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Woodlands Hotel, Waterford.

There are newer reviews for Woodlands Hotel

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for business about 3 times. The first 2 stays we're unremarkable. I booked this hotel as it was relatively cheap for B&B and I was only in Waterford for business. The hotel is very basic but clean. The bar food is ok as is the breakfast.

On the night of my last stay I was awoken at 1 am by the fire alarm which another guest had accidentally set off. At 5 am I was again awoken by someone entering my room. I must say this was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. A man approached my bed and saw me as I froze with horror. He retreated in silence and closed the door behind him.

I was in a state of shock as I turned on the light. I picked up the telephone to call reception to report the intruder. The phone rang out a couple of times which seemed odd. I persisted to call and eventually the night porter answered, I explained what happened and he flippantly responded by saying it had been him who entered my room and that he didn't realise there was anyone staying there!! He said he was looking for a table to set up another room for a meeting which was obviously a lie as it was 5am!

Obviously I didn't get anymore sleep after that so I decided to check out early. On check out I reported the incident to the receptionist who actually thought it was a big joke- she passed it off as no big deal and said the manager was unavailable. Later that day I called the manager myself and reported the incident, the receptionist had not relayed my message and deliberately was trying to cover for the night porter as apparently it was common practice for him to sleep in unused guest bedrooms during the night when he should have been up looking after the security of the hotel.

I will never again set foot in this establishment and would advise anyone travelling alone to steer clear of this place as privacy is not considered important and the reception staff are appalling. The only plus was that the manager Mr Howard was professional but it was too little too late.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Fangdoc
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in the Woodland Hotel for three nights midweek with one evening meal. The hotel itself is nice and our room was really nice. We had a family room which was a double and two single beds (much better than the fold out bed option in most hotels) and the pool and gym were really nice and very child friendly. However although the staff in this hotel are very nice the service really lets it down. When we booked our evening meal we were told we could only have bar food as the dining room was only opened at weekends, we didnt mind this too much but the service in the bar was awful even though there was hardly anyone there we waited over half an hour and then they told us that our food had gone to another table! When it did come it was not exactly what we ordered and was really only ok. Breakfast was a bit of a shambles each morning and again only ok. The hotel is about two miles out from waterford and you really need to go into the city for any kind of entertainment. We have been going to Waterford every year for the past six years and usually stay in a hotel in the city, will we be going back to the Woodlands? while we enjoyed our stay I dont think I would go back which is a pity as there is so much good about the hotel but the few disadvantages really do outweigh the good im afraid.

Room Tip: This room is fine to stay in dont eat here. You need a car as it is quite a distance from Waterford...
1  Thank Marie C

Dear MarieC,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay at the Woodlands Hotel. I assure you that the standards you encountered in the main bar and breakfast room are not the standards that one can expect from the Woodlands Hotel. I am currently reviewing the standards within these departments. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our comfortable accommodation and that you were happy with the extensive leisure centre that we have at the Woodlands. I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me directly at the Hotel on 051-392700 so as I may discuss the details of your stay. Thank you for your review and comments.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a friend's wedding and had a great time. Was only back in Ireland for a few days, so I found it very relaxing after arriving from the airport. No problems when I arrived the hotel, receptionist and service was excellent and very quick. The room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable, and the room was nice and quiet. The food in the bar was delicious, and the staff behind the counter were very chatty and competent. The prices were also pretty reasonable. As for the wedding itself, the function room was very comfortable, and the staff were as competent when it was very busy and very quiet. The next day, the hangover cures of the pool and a good feed were enjoyed a lot. If people are looking for a relaxing city break just outside the city, I'd recommend this place very highly

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review & comments. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Woodlands Hotel. We pride ourselves on the high standard of wedding service that we have built over the past few years. I am pleased that you also enjoyed our extensive bar menu and of course our very witty and chatty bar staff. I will pass your comments on to the team as they are always delighted to hear when our customers leave satisfied. Hopefully on your next visit home to Ireland you will visit us again. In these tough times I am very fortunate to have a team that are so flexible

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We recently stayed at this Hotel and we were happy with the standard of accommodation. A few directional signs on the approach roads would be help however,

The bedroom was clean and tidy - as you would expect. There were two wedding receptions on the two nights we were there, we requested a quiet room and we got same and slept soundly in very comfortable beds. The breakfast was fine and the free newspapers were a nice touch. Reception staff (One lady on her own any time we were at reception) were friendly and professional - and very busy - answering phones. dealing with queries, booking in and out, etc - Well Done for multi-tasking. !!

The Woodlands is not the Ritz - it does not pretend to be, and the prices are not 'Ritzy' You get what you pay for - Good accommodation, good food, nice bar, plenty of parking, friendly staff - thats not bad is it ?.

Some of the reviews we checked before we arrived had us a little bit in trepidation but overall we were pleasantly surprised and content.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marger50

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Woodlands Hotel. At the Woodlands we believe in providing value for money with a high standard of customer care and I am pleased that you experienced many of the great members of the team here at the Hotel. I will certainly pass your very positive comments onto the staff. As General Manager I am very fortunate to have a team that in these tough times are always willing to multitask while providing and efficient service. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Woodlands.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed there for a friend's wedding recently and wish I'd have booked in for longer! The reception was fabulous - considering there was a huge crowd of guests there was still plenty of room to move around, food was as yummy as my friend (the bride) was looking and service was just brilliant - staff couldnt possibly do any more for us and we were really looked after well by people who obviously enjoyed what they were doing until we headed up to our room in the early hours. Our room (for two) was really nicely done up, none of the rustic deco or minimalist style, it was just right to relax. From a cleanliness point it was spotless (and yes i did check), the bed was super comfy and to be able to hop into the pool in the morning was the icing on the cake. definitely be back for a couple of nights!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Woodlands Hotel and your friends wedding. We cater for both small and very large Weddings and it is vital to our success that larger weddings receive the same high quality of service than a smaller wedding party. I have a fantastic team that are fully aware of the importance of customer care. Thank you for your comments , I will certainally pass your review on to the staff. When booking again please contact me directly so as I can ensure that I meet with you in person on your next visit to the Woodlands Hotel.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went to the woodlands expecting a country retreat what we got was more like a trip to Ibiza. Music till 2.30 in the morning, fine if you are on a party weekend away but not so good if you are there with children (as we were).
Manager was disinterested in hearing comments.

Dear Guest.
Thank you for your review, I am disappointed that we did not reach your expectations. I am also disappointed that you did not have a comfortable and peaceful nights sleep. I apologise that I did not speak to you in person on check out or during your stay, As General Manager the comfort of my guests is paramount. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly at the Hotel 051-392700 / declanmoriarty@woodlandshotel.ie so that I may discuss your stay in more detail. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I personally assure you that all of your comments have been taken on board and are being dealt with.