“Even if it was free I wouldn't be tempted to stay..........”
Review of Woodlands Hotel

and 1 more site!
Woodlands Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Thankfully I didn't actually stay at the woodlands but did attend a function there over the course of a weekend.

I have no idea what the bedrooms are like but if the state of the common areas of the hotel is anything to go by, I am glad that I didn't get to try one out.

The reception and bar are dull, souless spaces with a smell of deep fat frying permanently. The bar food was expensive and poor to mediocre in quality. Getting a drink on Saturday night, despite the presence of 3 staff, took 25minutes standing at the bar.

I could perhaps get over all of that were it not for the state of the toilets which were littered with paper..etc and showed no sign of being cleaned at any stage. Boy was I glad that the Woodlands was full and I had to stay elsewhere !

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank ZeeZeeCork

Reviewed July 14, 2007

I stayed a this hotel on a short break (3 days) with my family. We really enjoyed the whole experience. The staff were very friendly, from the receptionist who arranged help with our bags up to our bedroom, to the typical friendly Irish barman, who gave us some excellent recommendations on things to do in the local area.

The bedrooms were very spacious, which is very important to us, especially with two small kids. The pool area was of a really high standard, very clean with nice staff and has a kids pool as well for the little kids.

We went to Tramore and Dunmore East on day outings with the children and found that there was lots to do. The price of the amusements in Tramore is a bit expensive, but the surf school seems good value, although we did not try it - maybe on our next trip! Dunmore East is a delight, the marina and thatch cottages are so picturesque.

The food in the hotel is good, I was a bit worried having read some of the other reviews, we ate there on the first night and enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank enjoyslifeIreland
Reviewed June 29, 2007

The hotel was absolutley fine, most of the staff we met were very friendly. The room was clean but, perhaps a little on the tired side. The restaurant was nice although the menu limited and I would not call it ala'carte. The breakfast buffet was very good but, note "the make your own toast". The absolute best thing about our stay was the five minute walk to "Becketts Bar and Restaurant" - food and service excellent and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DINKEtravellers
Reviewed May 18, 2007

My Wife and I are just back from a 3 night midweek stay in the Woodlands Hotel in Waterford.
From the moment we entered the hotel to the minute we left I can say that this was the most perfect hotel break we have had in Ireland.
From the outset let me say that I am quite a fussy person and do expect a lot from an Irish hotel. Over the years I have stayed in about a dozen Irish hotels and the standard in Ireland is general very high.
What set this hotel apart from all of the other Irish hotels was their attention to detail that we experienced. First impressions are very important and we were greeted with a most friendly and extremely helpful receptionist Ellen. Our room was tastefully decorated and beautifully clean. Our first meal was in the Hotel bar and the menu was quite variable. My wife had the mussels and I had the Thai fish cakes. Both were beautifully cooked. For our main we have Battered cod and Chips. We waited about 20 minutes, which to me is a good sign and lo and behold our wait was well worth it as we were served beautifully fresh cod coated in a lovely light beer batter. The wine list was not extensive but we had a bottle of South African Pinotage which was quite exceptional.
On our return to the Woodlands Hotel we returned to our room to find that it had been attended to by the room staff in a meticulous way. The linen had been changed and the room vacuum cleaned (very unusual after 1 day), this apart from the usual bed making etc. The towels were extremely soft (obviously fabric conditioner used). Just perfect. Each day this attention to cleaning our room was repeated.
Breakfast on each 3 mornings was to an exceptionally high standard, fresh and hot and the mushrooms which I love were extremely tasty. The toast you put through an escalator type toast maker yourself which ensured that it was fresh and hot to compliment that beautiful fry.
We had an evening meal in the hotel on the third night and once again was exceptional and both my wife and I had the half roast duck which was, compliments to the chef, succulent.

We will remember our stay with fondness and would recommend this hotel highly to anyone who wants a quiet mid week break with friendly staff, beautiful food and an attention to room cleanliness. Oh yes, they have a great leasure complex that we enjoyed daily as well.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Seanogdublin
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend with my partner. Room was fine however they neglected to tell us that there was renovations to leisure centre being carried out. Bar food was fine,however the breakfast and dinner which were included in the deal I booked were to say the least dreadful. Wine list was non existant only two types of wine available chile or french throughout the entire hotel. The dinner was like something out of faulty towers it was so bad the cesar salad for starters was a sight to behold and to add insult to injury they served a sorbay before serving a main course of frozen veg and over -cooked meat, dessert again was a disgrace a total mess and a hugh embarrassment for a so called chef to send out. Will definately not return ever!

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank sna39
Reviewed January 13, 2007

booked here through tourist office, suffolk street, dublin.
got great deal for myself and the girlfriend. 198euro-friday/saturday night plus dinner Friday.
Dinner was lovely.we should have gone again on the saturday but got dodgy chinese restaurant instead.
room was good for what we paid.
breakfast was really good, must have got word of criticism from reviews before. ten euro by taxi into town. didnt try leisure centre. will definitely return.
ps one criticism- wine list was brutal in restaurant. the one we picked was not good.
so better selection next time please!

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank irishspurs
Reviewed October 29, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for one night only. Having twins, we were given a very large room owerlooking the car park. The decor was poor considering the cost of the room, and lacked basic things such as a hotel information guide and minibar - even though there was ample space. We were the last in the restaurant at 20:45, and the food was poor - the steaks were fatty, mash was dry and tasteless and the vegetable soup had never seen any vegetables in its life. We then had to wait a very long time for desert, even though we were the only people left in the dining room by 21:15. However the worst thing by far was the barman gave us the wrong change, short by 5 Euro. That was after he had served all the local customers who came in afterwards. The Manager kindly gave us the missing money but this tainted the whole stay. Would not ever go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family