“A dreadful experience at Travelodge Waterford”

Travelodge Waterford
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Booked a family room - given a double
When I queried it, was told they had nothingg else. they brought a mattress up, expected me to make that bed myself, and work out myself how the sofa worked for a 2nd bed. Only when I insisted was I shown where the 2nd bed was. No one seemed bothered. I left a number so manager could call the next day. He didn't, so not even an apology. Fittings in the bathroom were broken. The place was scruffy. A dreadful dreadful place, and not only will I never stay at Travleodge Waterford again, I will never stay at Travelodge ANYWHERE. You should be ashamed, having a family arrive at 11pm at night and the family room they booked is not given to them. I wasn't even pre-warned at reception. We were left to make our way to the room, with 2 young children, to find there was only one bed in it. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE.

Room Tip: Don't choose this place - I wouldn't even grace it by calling it a hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Yvonne H

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We only stayed here for one night, but it was very pleasant. The room was clean and every thing was satisfactory in our family room. The location was quiet, but very far out of town 30 minute walk! Also there was no restaurant but I think that was temporary as there was a partially burnt down building next door. The staff were brilliant, very helpful about what to do in Waterford and even looked after our bags after we checked out so we didn't have to cart them around town all day before catching our train.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here on our roadtrip around Ireland and chose it for price it's position within our larger journey.
Yes the hotel is out of town and appears to be in a bit of a dodgy area but as a place to crash it's just fine.
There is a fantastic SuperValu supermarket less than 5 mins walk away which has some great fresh and healthy options. We got a heap of stuff from here for our dinner back in the room as we didn't feel like driving anywhere for a feed. There is also a Maccas next door.
Downtown Waterford is less than 10 mins drive if you want to go further afield for dinner.
Room itself was about what was expected from the chain but again, more than adequate for what we were after.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We got a really good rate for the hotel but no one mentioned that the restaurant had burnt DOWN ??? So, with a child & disabled senior in tow, it was McDonalds OR NOTHING?!?!? The location wasnt great.........taxis to the main drag were about 10 Euros. the hotel was tired but clean enough. Rooms VERY VERY BASIC. Staff werent falling over themselves to practice their Customer Service skills........Overall, if I had a car, I would go back as it was very cheap but only once I verified the restaurant was up & running. If I didnt have a rental car then I would look closer to the river front for lodgings.

Room Tip: Double check on the disabled aspect if needed as they didnt really care that my mother had to walk 2...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here in late June as a base for a fly & drive tour of the south of Ireland. Having read previous reviews, we asked for and got a quiet room at the back and were very pleased with it. We booked a family room and the rate was outstanding: Euro 35/day for two adults and 2 dogs. The Rocket Diner had burned down earlier in the year, but there is a McDonalds next door, (not our choice). However, far better than this, go to the People's Park for breakfast - outstanding!

This was our first time in a travelodge and we were impressed. The value for money is unbeatable and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, (at the side towards McDonalds).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on a trip round Ireland. What an awful place it is. The rate might have been really good - I think we paid about EUR39 but it was truly awful - I felt like everything hadn't been cleaned properly and the door didn't lock so had to put a chair against it to ensure no-one came in during the night - that was the sort of clientele they had!! I would avoid if you can.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I realise that the place is cheap but at the end of the day it gives them no right to have the standard of their lodge so low! It was disgusting! I brought along my husband and my 11 year old daughter, i was mortified the few days i was there no one even came to clean the room or bring more towels! NOTHING... the sheets were filthy, the carpet was a disgrace!! I could even see out of the windows! They should really consider updating their pictures because i was in for a rude awakening, looks nothing like the pictures only thing i can think of is that those pics were taking when it was first built!

Room Tip: My tip Dont choose any room! Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family