“Fine for a cheap stopover”

Travelodge Waterford
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here on our roadtrip around Ireland and chose it for price it's position within our larger journey.
Yes the hotel is out of town and appears to be in a bit of a dodgy area but as a place to crash it's just fine.
There is a fantastic SuperValu supermarket less than 5 mins walk away which has some great fresh and healthy options. We got a heap of stuff from here for our dinner back in the room as we didn't feel like driving anywhere for a feed. There is also a Maccas next door.
Downtown Waterford is less than 10 mins drive if you want to go further afield for dinner.
Room itself was about what was expected from the chain but again, more than adequate for what we were after.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We got a really good rate for the hotel but no one mentioned that the restaurant had burnt DOWN ??? So, with a child & disabled senior in tow, it was McDonalds OR NOTHING?!?!? The location wasnt great.........taxis to the main drag were about 10 Euros. the hotel was tired but clean enough. Rooms VERY VERY BASIC. Staff werent falling over themselves to practice their Customer Service skills........Overall, if I had a car, I would go back as it was very cheap but only once I verified the restaurant was up & running. If I didnt have a rental car then I would look closer to the river front for lodgings.

Room Tip: Double check on the disabled aspect if needed as they didnt really care that my mother had to walk 2...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here in late June as a base for a fly & drive tour of the south of Ireland. Having read previous reviews, we asked for and got a quiet room at the back and were very pleased with it. We booked a family room and the rate was outstanding: Euro 35/day for two adults and 2 dogs. The Rocket Diner had burned down earlier in the year, but there is a McDonalds next door, (not our choice). However, far better than this, go to the People's Park for breakfast - outstanding!

This was our first time in a travelodge and we were impressed. The value for money is unbeatable and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, (at the side towards McDonalds).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on a trip round Ireland. What an awful place it is. The rate might have been really good - I think we paid about EUR39 but it was truly awful - I felt like everything hadn't been cleaned properly and the door didn't lock so had to put a chair against it to ensure no-one came in during the night - that was the sort of clientele they had!! I would avoid if you can.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I realise that the place is cheap but at the end of the day it gives them no right to have the standard of their lodge so low! It was disgusting! I brought along my husband and my 11 year old daughter, i was mortified the few days i was there no one even came to clean the room or bring more towels! NOTHING... the sheets were filthy, the carpet was a disgrace!! I could even see out of the windows! They should really consider updating their pictures because i was in for a rude awakening, looks nothing like the pictures only thing i can think of is that those pics were taking when it was first built!

Room Tip: My tip Dont choose any room! Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane M
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Plus points, handy location, free car parking and clean.

Staff terrible and accommodation gives new meaning to word basic.

Had phoned ahead and advised them I would be arriving early . Due to traffic I was actually late arriving. The check in was a joke, just a guy literally giving out keys. When got to the room door was open and laundry everywhere...obvious cleaners not even started. Decided to leave them to it. On return the room was set up with just double bed even though I had booked a twin. Having complained at reception I was told the hotel was full and they could or would do nothing. Each time I went through reception there was a long line of people complaining. Accept my warning and don't stay here...they don't care.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BogtrotterBelfast
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Although the location is close to town and shops the hotel itself is very run down. The sheets on the bed seemed clean but the bed felt very damp and solid as a rock, had an awful nights sleep!..the carpet was absolutely filthy!!..i had to go wash my feet again before i went out after just having a shower!! it is cheap if you just wanna put your head down for the night but in my opinion i wouldn't bother again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends