“5 stars”
Review of Bellissimo

Bellissimo
Ranked #31 of 178 Restaurants in Waterford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Mediterranean dining experience to savour! Always a pleasure. Bellissimo is a tried and tested favourite, that is almost without comparison in Waterford City. Our aim is to welcome each and every customer and make every effort to ensure that they enjoy their dining experience with us.Casual dining, high quality food at value for money prices.... Ranging from finest Chargrilled Steaks and local Seafood to traditional Pizza's and scrumptious Pasta dishes. One of our highlights is our artisan Cocktail List which has been added recently along with a great range of Beers and Spirit's.Each meal is cooked to order. All menu's are available on our website. Seating for 80.Beautiful South facing sunny balcony. Ample free car parking. Enjoy a pre dinner drink in our "Snug". Truly "A Restaurant for all occasions "
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“5 stars”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Had early bird here on a Sunday evening, would highly recommend and have no complaints...5 stars all the way

• Visited September 2013
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Shane, thank you for visting Bellissimo, i think it was your first visit although your partner has I believe enjoyed dining with us on a couple of occasions in the past while.
We appreciate your feedback and rest assured we welcome each of the 5 stars that you've given us!!
We offer a great Early Bird menu on an ongoing basis and have an even better offer for a limted time only, so make sure you enjoy again in the next week or so.

We lookk forward to your next visit !

• Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
“Not coming back.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been a customer in the old Bellissimo Restaurant and after not very pleasant experience I decided I will never go back again. This time one of my friends suggested we give it a second chance as the restaurant moved to a new and much nicer premises. Well...I guess this was definitely my last visit. I did not enjoy my pizza, it came oval shaped and very dry, almost burnt. My friend ordered a pasta dish which was too heavy to eat. For the price we paid for our meals and drinks we could have gone to a much better restaurant where we would enjoy our dinner.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank wwwjohn
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Firstly, I regret that you didn't enjoy your meal with us.
I am surprised on a number of points you've made, because ultimately I am 100% sure that we would do anything you asked of us to ensure you experienced the opposite.......we always ask each of our diners during their main course whether or not everything is as they expected. If whatever reason it is not, we would right it there and then.
We are pleased to serve 100's of customers in any one week and can guarantee that the absolute majority of them are very content with their meals, which include many pasta's and pizza's but mostly great local seafood and fine steaks.
But this wasn't the case for you and again for that i apologise.
It's diificult for us to see where the problem was particularly when this review has two preceding one's stating "Excellent" and "Amazing".
Can I take this opportunity to suggest to all people visiting any restaurant, not just ours, if you have something that you are not happy about, talk with the staff. they are there to serve you.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

On a recent visit to Waterford I had the pleasure to eat in Bellissmo. I had the seafood morsels for start and the sea bass for my main off the early bird. Both dishes were of a very high standard with quality ingredients. Our waitress Emma was so friendly and helpful also.

• Visited August 2013
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for visiting Bellissimo during your recent visit to Waterford City. I think you choose very well from our Early Bird Menu as the Seafood Morsels starter and the Baked Seabass done in a French style are hugely popular.
We definitely aim for excellent customer service and have a charter that we use to ensure this. Emma will be pleased that you noticed this as I am :)

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

“Amazing.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic food the service is second to none. Management are lovely an would highly recommend Bellissimo to anyone...

• Visited May 2013
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you Niall for visiting our restaurant and enjoying your experience.
"Amazing" is definitely a description that we would aim for.
We look forward to greeting you again in the very near future.

Waterford, Ireland
“The Steak is Good”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We decided to try Bellissimo having eaten lunch there earlier this year we decided to give it another go as our feeling of the lunch was OK but pricey compared to what is available at lunchtime in Waterford.

Entering the restaurant was a pleasant break from the summer heat as the restaurant has A/C. We were given the menus and the restaurant was nicely laid out with tables a reasonable distance apart. We looked at the wine list and chose an Italian Montepulciano red which was very nice and good value at €23. For starters I had Bruschetta (€5.45) and my wife the Coriander Crab Cakes (€8.95). The mozzarella cheese in the bruschetta was toasted/melted and personally I felt the way it was cooked detracted from the natural flavours of this dish. The crab cakes were good and contained a reasonable amount of crab meat. We were given bread by the waitress but I must admit I have never seen bread precariously balanced on a soup spoon and placed on our plates however this was done without any mishaps sort of like an egg and spoon race without the race. Shortly after we were given the butter when we took some and spread it on the bread we were pretty sure from the way it came out of the dish and the way it spread that it was not butter but either margarine and or mixture of butter and margarine. We confirmed this when we tasted it. I have only ever been served margarine in a builders café on pre-“buttered” toast never in a restaurant. For the main course I had hoped for some risotto but unfortunately this dish was not on the menu which seems to be the case with many (but not all) of the Italian restaurants in Waterford. I opted for the 10oz Sirloin Steak (€24.95) and my wife the Pollo alla Parmiagiana €16.45). I absolutely hate going into a restaurant and being offered an 8oz sirloin or rump steak as I feel it is not possible to get the thickness of cut to do the meat justice when cooking. I really had reservations about the 10oz steak but felt I’d give it a chance. When my steak arrived my reservations were completely unfounded as it was a full 10oz steak and cutting into it I could see it had been perfectly cooked. That left the “flavour” - again any reservation I had was unfounded as the meat flavour was excellent. The sauce was fine as were the vegetables. My wife enjoyed her chicken and I tasted the creamy pesto sauce and it was good. For dessert I opted for the tiramisu (€6.25) this was done in the classical style and was fine I’ve had better but I’ve had a lot worse. Towards the end of the evening it was getting very hot but before we brought this to the attention of the waitress someone must have beaten us to it as we could feel the AC breeze kick in. If I were the owner in hot weather like this I would make sure the restaurant was keep cool and make sure everyone knew the restaurant had AC as I feel the hot weather has impacted heavily the restaurant trade as no one wants to go into a hot restaurant and eat dinner when they can BBQ or eat in their garden. Overall the service was OK there were areas where it could be improved but we both felt the waitress was doing her best and lacked training, some examples – we topped our wine up all the time, we had to ask for more wine when the bottle was finished. For me that is a cardinal sin for a restaurateur – always keep the glasses topped up and always keep an eye on the bottle it could make the difference between selling one or two bottles or one bottle and a couple of extra glasses. This can be done unobtrusively and over a period of a year if properly done can have a very positive influence on cash flow and of course service and customer satisfaction. The total cost for our meal based on one bottle of wine was ~€85. If we were to have the same meal and use the early bird (€5 supplement for the steak), crab cake starter not available so alternate starter required the cost would drop to €31 for 3 courses with steak and €22 for courses with a different starter – total cost with the same wine €76 be aware Early Bird finishes at 6.30pm not 7pm as in most restaurants. This restaurant has the potential to do better. For me the highlight was the main course steak dish.

• Visited July 2013
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank visiting our restuarant and for taking the time to write a review, which is undoutedly the most thorough review that we've ever received. I think Michelin Star reviews wouldn't have as much detail:)
We are delighted you enjoyed your meal and confirmed that our 10oz Steaks are not only what we say they are, but are fairly unique in the process and i can gurantee are consistently very good straight from our Chargrill.
Your description of the "Egg and Spoon race" with the bread and butter did make us laugh and indeed for that we thank you. However the point made along with others will be shared and taken on board.

With regard to the pouring of the wine / refilling glasses....the jury is out on this I'm afraid. Most of our customers prefer to pour for themselves.....after all we are a casual restuarant and generally speaking people enjoy this fact. But noted nonetheless, particularly when it comes to offering another bottle should the customer desire.

To finish as I started, we are delighted you enjoyed your meal and look forward to welcoming you back. Our new mediterranean style cusine all be it with a very distinct local slant is proving to be well regarded by all of those who enjoy good food and service.

Tony