“The Steak is Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bellissimo

Bellissimo
Ranked #28 of 173 Restaurants in Waterford
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A Mediterranean dining experience to savour! Always a pleasure. Bellissimo is a tried and tested favourite, that is almost without comparison in Waterford City. Our aim is to welcome each and every customer and make every effort to ensure that they enjoy their dining experience with us.Casual dining, high quality food at value for money prices.... Ranging from finest Chargrilled Steaks and local Seafood to traditional Pizza's and scrumptious Pasta dishes. One of our highlights is our artisan Cocktail List which has been added recently along with a great range of Beers and Spirit's.Each meal is cooked to order. All menu's are available on our website. Seating for 80.Beautiful South facing sunny balcony. Ample free car parking. Enjoy a pre dinner drink in our "Snug". Truly "A Restaurant for all occasions "
Waterford, Ireland
“The Steak is Good”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We decided to try Bellissimo having eaten lunch there earlier this year we decided to give it another go as our feeling of the lunch was OK but pricey compared to what is available at lunchtime in Waterford.

Entering the restaurant was a pleasant break from the summer heat as the restaurant has A/C. We were given the menus and the restaurant was nicely laid out with tables a reasonable distance apart. We looked at the wine list and chose an Italian Montepulciano red which was very nice and good value at €23. For starters I had Bruschetta (€5.45) and my wife the Coriander Crab Cakes (€8.95). The mozzarella cheese in the bruschetta was toasted/melted and personally I felt the way it was cooked detracted from the natural flavours of this dish. The crab cakes were good and contained a reasonable amount of crab meat. We were given bread by the waitress but I must admit I have never seen bread precariously balanced on a soup spoon and placed on our plates however this was done without any mishaps sort of like an egg and spoon race without the race. Shortly after we were given the butter when we took some and spread it on the bread we were pretty sure from the way it came out of the dish and the way it spread that it was not butter but either margarine and or mixture of butter and margarine. We confirmed this when we tasted it. I have only ever been served margarine in a builders café on pre-“buttered” toast never in a restaurant. For the main course I had hoped for some risotto but unfortunately this dish was not on the menu which seems to be the case with many (but not all) of the Italian restaurants in Waterford. I opted for the 10oz Sirloin Steak (€24.95) and my wife the Pollo alla Parmiagiana €16.45). I absolutely hate going into a restaurant and being offered an 8oz sirloin or rump steak as I feel it is not possible to get the thickness of cut to do the meat justice when cooking. I really had reservations about the 10oz steak but felt I’d give it a chance. When my steak arrived my reservations were completely unfounded as it was a full 10oz steak and cutting into it I could see it had been perfectly cooked. That left the “flavour” - again any reservation I had was unfounded as the meat flavour was excellent. The sauce was fine as were the vegetables. My wife enjoyed her chicken and I tasted the creamy pesto sauce and it was good. For dessert I opted for the tiramisu (€6.25) this was done in the classical style and was fine I’ve had better but I’ve had a lot worse. Towards the end of the evening it was getting very hot but before we brought this to the attention of the waitress someone must have beaten us to it as we could feel the AC breeze kick in. If I were the owner in hot weather like this I would make sure the restaurant was keep cool and make sure everyone knew the restaurant had AC as I feel the hot weather has impacted heavily the restaurant trade as no one wants to go into a hot restaurant and eat dinner when they can BBQ or eat in their garden. Overall the service was OK there were areas where it could be improved but we both felt the waitress was doing her best and lacked training, some examples – we topped our wine up all the time, we had to ask for more wine when the bottle was finished. For me that is a cardinal sin for a restaurateur – always keep the glasses topped up and always keep an eye on the bottle it could make the difference between selling one or two bottles or one bottle and a couple of extra glasses. This can be done unobtrusively and over a period of a year if properly done can have a very positive influence on cash flow and of course service and customer satisfaction. The total cost for our meal based on one bottle of wine was ~€85. If we were to have the same meal and use the early bird (€5 supplement for the steak), crab cake starter not available so alternate starter required the cost would drop to €31 for 3 courses with steak and €22 for courses with a different starter – total cost with the same wine €76 be aware Early Bird finishes at 6.30pm not 7pm as in most restaurants. This restaurant has the potential to do better. For me the highlight was the main course steak dish.

• Visited July 2013
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank visiting our restuarant and for taking the time to write a review, which is undoutedly the most thorough review that we've ever received. I think Michelin Star reviews wouldn't have as much detail:)
We are delighted you enjoyed your meal and confirmed that our 10oz Steaks are not only what we say they are, but are fairly unique in the process and i can gurantee are consistently very good straight from our Chargrill.
Your description of the "Egg and Spoon race" with the bread and butter did make us laugh and indeed for that we thank you. However the point made along with others will be shared and taken on board.

With regard to the pouring of the wine / refilling glasses....the jury is out on this I'm afraid. Most of our customers prefer to pour for themselves.....after all we are a casual restuarant and generally speaking people enjoy this fact. But noted nonetheless, particularly when it comes to offering another bottle should the customer desire.

To finish as I started, we are delighted you enjoyed your meal and look forward to welcoming you back. Our new mediterranean style cusine all be it with a very distinct local slant is proving to be well regarded by all of those who enjoy good food and service.

• Polish first
Ireland
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Having eaten in both restaurants, old and new, with little complaint, I have been surprised by my most recent visit. Starters of Goats Cheese and Bruschetta were both good and could not be faulted. However the main course was the complete opposite. What I would have thought would be a sure bet in an Italian restaurant was Pizza, however when it arrived it was pale and looked to have been cooked a long time as well as in a cold oven. It was dry and hard, and did not resemble anything like it was meant to be. The 2nd main was summer tartlet with Blue cheese and sun dried tomatoes in a roast pepper puree which sounded nice. What arrived was an overcooked pastry case with only a pepper puree. No sign of any sun dried tomatoes and no taste of blue cheese. When pointed out to the staff some tomatoes were brought to the table after checking with the chef as to the make up of the dish. This is not what was wanted as they were supposed to be part of the dish. Another main course was offered but declined. The main courses were of a very poor standard and ruined the meal totally. Service is good and staff are friendly but its the food needs to be of a higher standard.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Declan2004Ireland
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Declan,

thank you for taking the time to write a review, and most importantly visiting both our old and new restaurants. We know some people get confused between our old Italian restaurant and our new Mediterranean offering.
We do remember your visit with us and making every effort to meet your needs. You choose from the Early Bird Menu around 5:10pm. At that stage the pizza oven would have been on for 7 hours so to alay some of your fears, it would have impossible for the oven to be cold. We make fresh dough at various times of the day, aim to cook thin and crispy bases, so we are at a loss as to where the gap was between what we aim to do and what you feel you received. For that we apologise.
With regard to the Summer Tartlet, your feedback was taken on board. As is the case with all our diners it is our policy to check their satisfaction levels shortly after they received their main courses. This was done with you. Seemingly there wasn't enough Sundried Tomatoes in the tartlet in your opinion. We made numerous efforts to address this including as you outlined in your review the offer to give you an alternative meal. All efforts were "declined"as you put it.

We subsequently discussed your feedback in our kitchen meeting, so again thank you for this.

From a restauranteurs perspective if you want to enjoy your meal in any restaurant please do it in the moment, not regret afterwards. This is not what makes any of us happy!

Tony McMahon
Ireland
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Ate at this restaurant recently. Have been a regular over the years. Modern / funky Italian restaurant having relocated. Staff friendly as always and food delicious. Early bird menu very reasonable with a huge choice of dishes!.. Well worth a visit.

• Visited July 2013
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Delighted you enjoyed your visit to Bellissimo while you were visiting the area. Tapas Monday has proved to hugely popular, given our brilliant Summer and the extensive menu. We do remember your visit and chatting to you about signage outside our front door.....thank you for this. The next time you visit you will see what work we have done with your suggestion :)

Genuinely thank you again!

Dublin, Ireland
“Tastiest Food around”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

While on holidays in Waterford we dined here twice. Our first night was a Monday and it was Tapas night. they were so tasty- Seafood morsels, Crostinis, Garlic prawns & Antipasti to name a few. Great value kids menu with lovely Pasta and pizzas. My husband had Sirloin on the 2nd night- it was so juicy and tender The staff were so friendly and efficient. I've only one criticism and that is as a stranger to the area we drove past the restaurant on our first night as we didn't realise there was a restaurant upstairs as all you see is the unoccupied unit underneath the restaurant and it was exactly the type of food we were looking for. Perhaps a chalk board/sandwich board downstairs at the door would have alerted us to the tasty delights upstairs. We'll definitely be back next time we are in Waterford.

Visited June 2013
Tony M, Owner at Bellissimo, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for visiting not once, but twice, when you were on holidays here in Waterford. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and indeed your dining experience.
We do take on board your criticism as well.......sometimes we forget what other people see or don't as the case might be:)

We look forward to seeing you again!

Tony
“Quick and decent service”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Had the goats cheese salad. Very nice, could have done without the caramelisation/sugar thing on the goats cheese! Otherwise nice.

• Visited June 2013