“A haven of rest” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 23 Waterford B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, California
“A haven of rest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

We'd been touring all around Eire for a week, and came upon Foxmount Country House (or Foxmount Farm) in need of a quiet rest. You know how some houses can greet you with a quiet word of welcome? When we stepped in the door, ushered in by Margaret, we felt the house almost wrap its arms around us and say, "Come in and rest here." Our hostess simply said, "Now, when you've rested a bit and feel the need, please come down and I'll fix you a lovely cup of hot tea to enjoy in the parlor before the fire." Bliss.
The rooms are beautifully and tastefully decorated and the good beds have been fitted out with quality linens, downy coverlets, and heaps of plllows. Outside the windows, broad lawns and gardens stretch in every direction; and the silence is golden.
As we sat enjoying tea and little cakes before a good log fire, Margaret explained where she thought we could find the best evening meal without a long drive in the darkness, we almost wished we could just stay right there; but off we went to her suggested lovely little bistro by the nearby riverbank. We returned to a deep, silent and peaceful sleep and awoke the next day to sunshine and a fabulous breakfast cooked by the lady of the house and served by her sweet daughter in their beautiful dining room.
We were off for Dublin later, well sustained to cope and enjoy the city and its sights, but sorry to leave Foxmount -- next time, we'll plan to stay for several days of great peace.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed lovely indeed; it will depend on your preference as to number and size of bed(s...
2 Thank GrannieFrannie007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

Foxmount Country House in Waterford was just what I needed. Margaret and her family were amazingly welcoming and hospitable. The house and property were gorgeous. Indeed, the entire experience was my exact vision of what staying at a country house should be. I felt very privileged, indeed.

I was greeted by Margaret, who immediately offered me a lovely tea with cakes in the sun room. The house was amazingly beautiful. Every detail was perfect from the room, which was spacious and well-appointed with a shower and also a lovely bathtub, to the furniture to the linens. The breakfast likewise was amazing, featuring rhubarb from their own garden, house made bread and preserves, lovely tea, and fresh eggs.

One day, after the other guests rushed off, I lingered after breakfast to enjoy the grounds, gardens, and the farm pets—especially my new best friends, a Jack Russell and a pair of Beagle pups. Later, I walked down the country lane to Jack Meade's pub for a late lunch. Although the other patrons were almost all local, they were very friendly and helpful when it was time to call a cab. (Everyone in Waterford has a cab driver they swear by. And, truly, they were all very nice.)

In the afternoons, tea is served around 1:30 or 2:00 p.m., and a fire is lit in the drawing room in the early evening. The pace of life was exactly what I was looking for at that point in my stay, and I was happily transported back to a more genteel time in a very beautiful place. I think it was a shame none of the other guests thought to stick around longer. They don't know what they missed.

One thing everyone should be aware of is the Internet connection while broadband is only Ethernet and not wireless. The walls of the house are three feet of solid brick or rock so the engineering of a wireless system has been difficult. Margaret tells me she is still looking for the best way to get reliable wireless to all of the rooms, but until then, the wire is all that is available.

The broadband is in the sunroom. I traveled only with my iPhone, but also purchased a travel wireless router that I programmed to work with my phone before leaving the States. When I arrived, I just plugged the Ethernet connection into the wireless router and everything worked well—as long as I stayed in the sunroom. Crossing through the thick walled archway to the drawing room killed every bit of signal. Nonetheless, I was able to very comfortably accomplish what I needed to do.

In final analysis, I look forward to the day when I can return to Foxmount. It was truly a most welcome retreat from the all-to-often frantic pace of travel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Susan B
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

OK, so we are Irish and would rave about Foxmount wouldn't we! All the glowing reports are accurate (never mind the unfortunate spider!) so there is no need to repeat them.
What we loved observing was the interaction at breakfast between the other guests -in our case from the USA and England. This works brilliantly -aided by a very attentive but unobtrusive Heather. The amount of travel experiences shared -and other lines of discussion- have one problem (if it can be called that). Breakfast can last half the morning. Frankly that is a thing to enjoy. If you want a proper Irish holiday experience in a 5 star quality place do go to Margaret Kent's lovely home. It is a great centre in which to spend more than one night. We have been to many B&Bs in Europe, Oz and the USA. This is the match of the best we have stayed in.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SKItourists
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

we took the train from Dublin to Waterford and spent our first night here. What a wonderful welcome to Ireland! The house and grounds are lovely, our room was beautiful and clean, breakfast was delicious! The Lents are fantastic, warm and gracious hosts.

1 Thank Woodyzgrl
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

This wonderful B&B is set in beautiful surroundings where there are horses and a little donkey in the fields! Its charming, and I especially enjoyed the round table breakfast as there was great chat with everyone exchanging travel stories, and anecdotes. It was wonderful to have this kind of banter over breakfast before setting off on the day. This was traditional irish hospitality at its best, and I loved the personal service. Mrs Kent is a wonder and I thought Heather was absolutely delightful. They couldn't be more helpful, and the Irish breakfast was the best I have ever tasted. This is not for people who prefer impersonal service, or privacy, it is for people who want to meet the locals and share experiences of Irish warmth and hospitality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank waterloo33203
Tunbridge Wells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

We loved it and are busy trying to come up with reasons/excuses to be in Waterford in the near future, so we can stay there again.

Very impressive grounds and exterior are matched by a lovely interior and the warm greeting you receive from Margaret Kent, whose picture must surely appear in some dictionaries when defining the word "elegant". Margaret's daughter-in-law, Heather, is similarly lovely, helpful and enthusiastic, and the breakfast they lay on is delicious (highlight: the scones).

A working farm as well as a hotel, Foxmount has three dogs, all of whom gave us a friendly welcome! The little Jack Russell, Daisy, had a look of sheer bliss on her face when we tickled her tummy. The little softy.

It's great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel-Danikun
Hatfield Peverel, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed for a couple of nights. Excellent accomodation and breakfast.

Only quibble is that it would be nice to have a kettle and drinks in the bedroom.

I've just seen the review about the spider - what do people expect in the country!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple