“I would rather stay in a Dungeon than Waterford Castle”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I had booked a weekend at Waterford Castle in the presidential suit so I could propose to my girlfriend as a suprise, and it was a suprise! The room was freezing cold. The hotel had given us a dimplex electric heater which was constantly turned off by the staff, not very 5 star. Before I booking I enquired with the hotel if any large groups would be staying and I was assured that their wasn't. I went down stairs for my meal in the evening only to find a full blow murder mistery night was taking place. We were shunted into another cold anti room along with some other guests and served our food . Some of the bar staff are very poorly trained and we were left waiting for drinks for a considerable period of time. The hotel has undergone a "beige" makeover and as a result its lost a lot of its charictor. We complained to the manager and he offerd us an aditional nights stay, once bitten twice shy. In my humble opinion its one of the cheeper castle hotles for a good reason. I should have dug deeper into my pockets on such a special occasion.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnDublinDublin
Wcastle, Sales & Marketing Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2009

Dear Reviewer,

First & foremost I would like to convey my apologies to you for having had such a bad experience at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort last February. I can undersatnd that proposing to your partner is one of the most momentous occasions of your entire life and that you had trusted that Waterford Castle was the place to do so. Obviously you were dissapointed that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would be most grateful if you could contact me personally to discuss your views by phone or email at your discretion, please contact the front desk at Waterford Castle to be put through to my office.

Regards
Joanna Hannick
Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed July 19, 2009

After reading the reviews for Waterford Castle we decided to spend one night during our trip around Ireland. The hotel is beautiful and the grounds were lovely but we were not very impressed with the overall experience. We've stayed in many luxury hotels around the world and can't understand why this one was so costly, especially considering the lack of outstanding service. When we arrived we were immediately put off by the bellman who seemed annoyed by our large suitcases. We were then disappointed by the small room but looked forward to exploring the grounds and having a nice dinner. We walked around the property which is magnificent and returned for an early dinner in the lounge. We were not so thrilled to find the same disgruntled bellman working there but managed to have a nice meal despite his abrupt attitude. We very much wanted to have the same wonderful experience as many reviewers here have but unfortunately of all the hotels we stayed in during our trip around Ireland, the Waterford Castle was the most disappointing. We will not return...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank su2320

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your views on Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort.
I am delighted that you were happy with the Castle's surroundings & location however the lack of service that you have recieved during your stay troubles me. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail & service & rest assured your comments have been addressed with our operations team. If you would like to contact me directly please do so.
I look forward to hearing from you in the not so distant future.

Many Thanks
Joanna Hannick
Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed July 1, 2009

We stayed one evening here during a recent trip to Ireland and it was a great experience. We made reservations for a last minute internet deal that included breakfast and dinner, which helped keep the expense down. The staff was wonderful and the dinner was fantastic. The rooms and bathrooms were huge and nicely decorated.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We stayed here for a long weekend in summer and I cannot recommend it enough! This place is truly special, unlike anywhere else you will ever visit. From the moment you drive on board the hotel's ferry to bring you to the island (which operates 24 hours a day and only takes a minute to bring you across), you feel like you really have left the hustle and bustle of the mainland and are on holidays. The island is beautiful, full of woodland walks and paths by the waterfront, and wildlife everywhere. We were greeted by swans flying over head as we drove up to the castle door and we spotted rabbits, deer, foxes, and every manner of bird. The grounds are not overly manicured, with lovely old granite urns, mature trees and rhododendrons everywhere. Along with the castle on the island, there is a golf course and clubhouse (where you can eat more informally if you like) as well as lodges, and everything's within easy walking distance. The castle itself is just stunning, untouched by the over-development that mars so many wonderful historic buildings. The receptions rooms are beautifully and tastefully decorated, with big comfy couches to lounge about in amidst the wood panelling and leaded windows. We stayed in a suite (which was great as we had a separate room for our 13 month old), and it had a four poster bed, amazing views out over the parkland and the water in the distance, and the loveliest bathroom complete with roll-top bath. The food was excellent, in particular we had a 5-course dinner in the formal dining room at night which was included in our price (which really was very good value) and it was a gourmand's treat - absolutely delicious - a very high standard. The breakfast had everything you could want - try having breakfast in the gorgeous garden room. Everything, even the bar food, is served with linen table-cloths, the best of silver-ware and a traditional touch. Very child-friendly, staff couldn't have been nicer, great value - I'm trying to think of something negative to say but can't!! This place is exceptional. If you like the best of food and appreciate being surrounded by beautiful things everywhere you look, then this place is for you! I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My friend and I hadn't seen each other in a while and decided to spend a night away. We were looking for a comfortable hotel, in a lovely location with great food. She suggested Waterford Castle, she lives in Kilkenny and had heard that it had recenlty changed management.
It was a pleasure from start to finish. There was great fun taking the car ferry to the island and arriving up to such a spectacular building, the inside didn't dissappoint either. The main hall is extradinary, it feels like walking into the middle ages (except alot more comfortable, there was a big fire blazing in a hearth that was so big you could walk into it..
We checked into our suite, which was lovely and spacious, however, it would have been nice to have a few books or magazine's to flick through. There were some really lovely touches like the monogrammed slipper and robe and the beautiful bathroom with the flowers on the loo and sink.
We enjoyed a great evening with wonderful food (very good wine list too). Local produce with a modern twist, we retired to the bar afterwards.
It was the perfect place to spend time with a friend and somewhere I hope to go back to with my husband very soon. Quite but comfortable, excellent staff and very convenient to Waterford City. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great so we didn't get a chance to do much exploring on the island, but I would definitely recommend this hotel and a relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Arrived April 8, 2009 for two nights. The castle is on an island so you arrive by car ferry for a five minute ride. Quiet beyond belief! Deer grazing outside our window each morning. Our bedroom was spacious but the bathroom was the largest I've ever seen! Every effort was made to accommodate our every wish. Typical Irish breakfast or your choice was available each morning. We had a light dinner the first night at the golf club house close by, excellent Irish stew there and out of this world salmon the following night in the castle dining room. A little pricy but of the five castles we stayed in this was one of the tops.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Really enjoted our stay at Waterford castle. The lobby is so luxurious with its limestone walls, plush carpets and colour scheme of grey and cream. The rooms seem to vary in size and decor- I suppose castles cant exactly knock walls in to incease space. We got a suite but I was also in some of the other rooms. Overall its not super modern five star bedrooms with all out luxury, rather it is more traditional and inkeeping with a historic castle. So dont be expecting wall to wall plasmas, wet rooms and jacuzzis... instead expect floral tiles and baths with claw legs.
Service was great, attentive and informed.
We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Waterford Marina Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
#5 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!