“Beautiful Castle & fantastic staff”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Just back from a Fabulous weekend in Waterford and stayed in the Castle. Had visited it before with a young family on a day trip out to the Island, and always said we would love to go back as a couple. Food fantastic and staff always pleasant. Stayed in the Otho room which was lovely. Really relaxing weekend. One thing would recommend longer shower curtains in the bath as the floor can get wet very easily whilst having a shower. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing such great feedback with us. It was lovely to read of the mention of fantastic food coupled with pleasant staff. I have taken note of the shower curtain length and will aim to rectify this. Your parting words of "Can't wait to return" is most rewarding for us to hear.
We look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

The Waterford Castle Hotel was extremely nice to stay in. The castle has been completely refurbished but in keeping with the old time decorations and structure. The rooms were beautiful and the food was delicious in the restaurant. I can see someone wanting to have a beautiful wedding there.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was delighted to read of your experience at Waterford Castle and I do hope you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you again for your kind words and your recommendation as a wedding venue.
We hope that you will return very soon for more of the same.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Two years ago my husband I visited Waterford Castle for the first time. It’s fair to say we were immediately mesmerised by this beautiful enchanting castle on this own private island just minutes away from the hubbub of Waterford City. Such was our enchantment we decided then and there that this would be the place we would marry. So on New Year’s Eve just past surrounded by our closest family & friends we tied the knot and will forever smile as we remember dancing the night away in the castle’s main hall. The food is truly outstanding and as my husband is a head chef to say the expectations of the food were high is somewhat of an understatement. Sebastian and his team treated our guests to a culinary delight and even now two months after the wedding people are still remarking on how outstanding the food was. The planning of the wedding was a joy. Mirka and Philip at the castle were always on hand and always available to answer questions or assist with queries. Oftentimes they added greatly to discussions resulting in truly wonderful results. Over the past two years we visited the castle on many occasions with family and friends. Each of the 19 rooms in the castle has its own unique charm and character. Choosing favourite room would be like choosing a favourite child it’s simply not right or fair to do so! The Roche Room, The Rose Suite, The Wedgewood, The Ormonde and of course the Presidential Suite have all hosted us on occasion and we found each room and each visit faultless. The welcome, the location, the staff at Waterford Castle are all second to none. As people who have travelled the world staying at some very fine establishments Waterford Castle rates amongst our favourite. The only thing we regret about our wedding and visits to Waterford Castle is that we are now speaking about them in the past tense. We are already looking forward to our return to this enchanting little hideaway. Thank you to all the team at the castle for making a 16th century feel not like a hotel but rather a very grand home.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to post your review. It was indeed our great pleasure to host your wedding and we are sincerely grateful that choose Waterford Castle as your venue. Your review was highly complimentary and it will give me immense satisfaction to share your remarks with all my colleagues and I am most sure that the individuals you have mentioned will be humbled by the recognition.
We wish both of you our best wishes for your future life together and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future we hope.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We have just returned from a lovely 2 night stay with our 2 boys (aged 11 and 7) in one of the self-catering Garden Lodges. If you are looking for a home from home this is the spot!!
From the minute we boarded the island car ferry on Friday afternoon until we left this morning we had a brilliant time. The reception staff were friendly and professional. The only negative comment I have is regarding the shabby appearance of the exterior finish of the lodges......but the interior of our lodge was fantastic, spotlessly clean with everything you could need!!! The beautiful gas fire was lit in the open sitting / kitchen area and the heaters were switched on in the 3 bedrooms upstairs when we arrived. It was so comfortable and so relaxing that we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Berdundalk
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I was delighted to read your review and it was most pleasing to read the mention of friendly and professional staff. I have taken note of your comment on the exterior appearance. We have identified this as priority work and it will be part of the upcoming works schedule. Unfortunately due to the adverse weather conditions progress in these areas has ground to a halt recently.
We sincerely appreciate your seal of approval and are most pleased to hear that you will definitely stay again.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Don't bother having the Afternoon Tea here. I am a local and brought some visiting friends as a treat. However, I am sad to have to say that it is most definitely not worth it, and I am not referring to the cost, even though it is over priced for what you get.
Firstly, you are served in a lovely room with a big fireplace, but no fire - even on a cold afternoon in February. This means a real lack of ambiance.
Then we were served our tea, but had to wait about a half hour for the sandwiches, meaning that the tea was now cold and we had to ask for more, which, to be fair, they did provide, but slowly. Then an incredible 45 minute wait for the scones and cakes to appear. Again cold tea.
The staff are pleasant and helpful, but how on earth can afternoon tea be so hard to provide quickly, efficiently and all together. To be honest, I feel that I am if anything giving it too high a score at 2 out of 5.

Room Tip: Not worth the effort!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your afternoon tea experience. I was very disappointed to read your comments and I must apologise for the provision of an inadequate service. If I may address some of the issues raised. We believe that our pricing is of a similar price point to our competitors in this market. Unfortunately we only have the fireplace in the main lobby as an active fire in the castle. We have since put an electric stove in the bar which has created the ambiance you rightly pointed out may have been missing. I am sorry that the order of service was not outlined properly as we did serve sandwiches first and then after scones and pastries. With that said I must admit that the service time was too long. We have taken all of your well made points on board and indeed have acted on them. We have put the electric stove in place and we are reverting back to serving all items together.
On a positive note it was most reassuring to read of pleasant and helpful staff.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence at some stage in the near future,

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed here as our one and only castle stay on our two week Irish trip with the in laws. After reflecting on it, I had very mixed feelings.

Pros:
First, I will say we got an amazing deal for the first week of December, and it only cost us 134 Euro with breakfast. That being said, we stayed in 4-5 star hotels for this rate all around Ireland because we went in late November and early December.

The ferry was very cool, and runs through the night so as not to trap you into the castle. I really appreciated this. The island was BEAUTIFUL, and really a big part of the experience. The exterior does look like a castle, and there was a massive fire in a massive, castle style fireplace.

My In Laws traveled with us, and they were upgraded. The con was that the hotel basically took them to a room, but there was already someone in it. Then they all tromped downstairs and got a different room, that was actually closer to a two bedroom suite verses the standard suite they booked. Is that a pro? I guess it was, but the manner was just not what I was expecting. My husband and I were checked into our room and personally escorted which was nice. Each room is unique, and we had an old fashioned key (more on that later). The breakfast room was spectacular, and looked out on the river as the morning fog rolled in.

Cons:
See above about the "upgrade" to my in laws. In addition to this exchange, my in laws were in fact given a two bedroom suite. However, the second room for my brother in law was an empty room with a floor lamp and a couch that folded out into a bed (which was not made up when we arrived). Now, the couch was fine, we were expecting this to be his bed. But what a waste of a second room in a two bedroom suite! The main part of the suite was so dark, my in laws had the hotel bring in extra lamps. Even sitting next to the bedside lamp did not provide enough light to see. I get it, castle, but why the bad lighting?

We got there at about 5pm, checked in, and were starving. We didn't want to go into town because we just got on the island. My in laws were NOT excited about the 40 Euro set meal (although I was sad we didn't try it), but we were assured that we could get less expensive pub fare in the "pub" which was actually just a small bar (maybe 5 feet long) with 5 coffee tables and some couches. Not only was the food small, and over priced, it took TWO HOURS to order, get the food, eat and pay the bill due to the extreme slow service. There was one guy, and he would either disappear, or clean glasses rather than refill drinks or take more orders. The annoying thing was that we were the only ones in the lounge/pub, so its not like they were busy. Five drinks and pub fare food for five totaled to 200 euros. Clearly, we should have gone to the upscale restaurant.

The service the next day at breakfast was even WORSE. We needed to leave the next morning at 10 am in order to make it to a tour we took in the next town. We came down for breakfast at 8:30 am, thinking that this would allow us enough time to each (1 hour) and then check out and catch the ferry. Unfortunately, when my husband and I came down, the breakfast room was set up with some meats, cheeses, fruit, yogurt and cereal, and a sign that said, "Please wait to be seated." Not only was there no server, but no other diners. I checked the sign, and it said that breakfast was open. We waited 10 minutes before I said screw it, chose a seat and got myself some cold breakfast. Another 10 minutes later, the server showed up, and apologized for not have been there. She then provided us with menus for the included hot breakfast, and brought out coffee and tea. We then placed our orders. 30 minutes later, we finally got the hot breakfast, again with apologies, explaining the chef made everything from scratch. Um, okay, but we had eggs and French toast. I could make that for three people with zero prep time at home in 10 minutes. In the 30 minutes we waited, the server came by once to bring my husband hot cocoa. I had to ask for more coffee.

The room I had was very large and modernly decorated. However, the bed was awful, and felt like very old springs that squeaked when I moved. I will admit, I am picky about soft beds, but the noise I made every time I moved kept my husband awake too. The weird thing was the bathroom. In the photos, it seems a very charming "olden days" style, but it was actually just old, and a little grungy. The toilet seat was stained with blue green rust, and the wood was what I would describe as sticky. The clawed bathtubs seemed fun, until I actually had to try and climb in it. Once I got in, I couldn't get the curtains to close, which meant I sprayed the room liberally with water. My husband is very tall (6 ft. 2) and his head peaked over the curtains a bit. Needless to say, after our shower, everything in the bathroom was wet.

So! I know, a lot of complaints. BUT I think that if I had stayed here say 2 days, and just done the nicer dinner, I would have been much happier. Part of my issues was that I had lots of time to dwell on all the stuff that was slow, and I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the island or grounds, which in the end, felt like was more the point. In addition, I also expect a little more from a hotel that touts itself as "luxury" and five stars. I also expect more for the price we paid in comparison to what we received in other similar hotels.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I sincerely appreciate the detail you have gone into and I can assure all of your points have been noted and will be addressed immediately. I must apologise on behalf of Waterford Castle for letting you down as I am indeed most disturbed to read of your experience.
From reading your comments in regards to Food and Beverage your experience was simply not good enough and again I will express my apologise. Our Fitzgerald Room where we serve a limited bar food menu is indeed a small room as you well pointed out is intended to lend itself to a relaxing drink rather than pub food. All of the main courses with the exception of a steak on this menu are priced considerably under twenty euros. I am therefore a little bewildered as to the total price you quoted.
Waterford Castle is indeed a four star establishment but we do strive to offer a luxurious stay. We seem to have not lived up to your expectations but I do hope that you would afford us the opportunity to regain your confidence sometime in the future.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I recently stayed in one of the lodges with a group of friends and we had such a lovely weekend. The lodge was fantastic, finished to a very high standard and with everything you could need. We ate in the golf club for breakfast and dinner and I was so impressed with the service and quality of the food. Without a doubt the staff are the best thing about Waterford castle and that is really saying something considering how beautiful the whole resort is. Every member of staff we dealt with went above and beyond their job description to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. They were all so friendly and seemed to be genuinely interested in how we were enjoying our stay as opposed to just asking because it's their job to ask. I would particularly like to mention Linda in reception and the manager in the golf club ( I think his name is Adrian but I could be wrong) for their great service. I will certainly be back and would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at the lodges. I was delighted to read the abundant compliments throughout your review and to hear mention of impressive service and quality is most gratifying. I look forward to sharing your views with all my colleagues and in particular with Linda and Adrian whom I am sure will be most humbled by your remarks.
We are most grateful for your seal of approval and look forward to having you back in the very near future.
Derek

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Waterford Marina Hotel
#5 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!