“Olde Worlde” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“Olde Worlde”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Unlike a lot of Castles in Ireland which are now hotels, all rooms here are in the Castle, rather than in a modern block of bedrooms. Staff were very helpful. We requested sheets and blankets rather than a duvet, and this request was acknowledged by email but not carried out. The person doing the Turning Down left the sheets and blankets in the room, appears making up the bed was beyond them. Breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked to order, good secition of cold items on the Buffet also. Very good value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to post your review. I was pleased to read that the castle held an "olde worlde" charm and that staff was found to be helpful. I must apologise for not fulfilling your request for sheets and blankets. I can assure you that making up the bed is not beyond our turn down attendant. It seems that we are responsible for inadequate communication in resolving this issue. On a positive note we are grateful to hear your compliments in regards to breakfast and it is reassuring to hear the words - very good value.
We do look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Derek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife, daughter and I were traveling in Ireland this November and had an open day to visit the Waterford Crystal factory. We stayed so long that we needed a place for the night and found this wonderful place - the Waterford Castle Hotel. The staff was very helpful and pleasant and provided excellent service. Our breakfast in a wonderful castle dining room was a special treat. Thanks to all at the castle.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for such lovely feedback. Serendipity has such a lovely ring to it and I am indeed delighted that this was what you found. I am most pleased to read of helpful and pleasant staff coupled with excellent service.
Thank you for choosing to stay at Waterford Castle and we will look forward to your return.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had the most lovely experience at the Waterford Castle Hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. The staff was gracious and attended to our every need. We had breakfast in a beautiful glass enclosed dining area and the food was had lots of wonderful choices. The grounds surrounding the Castle are lovely and so is the golf course. Getting to the island by ferry, just adds to the charm of the experience. The Castle lent itself to a Downton Abbey type of experience for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. As I read your comments I was most pleased with the content and we sincerely appreciate your compliments. It will be my pleasure to share your review with all of my colleagues here whom I am sure will be most proud.
We do hope that you will return for more of the same in the near future.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent the day driving around the city and then headed for the ferry. As we drove up the lane and saw the castle I think we both let out a sigh at the site of this beautiful landmark. We parked the car and took a short stroll since it was dusk. We went to our room to get settled. It was a sweet nice size room with a wonderful view of the front of the property. There were two large sets of old windows in the room that opened so we could let in fresh air. The bathroom was a good size with the deepest claw foot tub I have ever seen. It did have a old water closet for the toilet and that was challenging at times. We enjoyed hot coca by the fire in the main hall. For breakfast we had fruits, nuts, seeds, and ordered Irish pancakes. They were very similar to crapes. We really enjoyed our one night stay and actually didn't look forward to traveling on so soon.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for such lovely feedback. Your review was a delight to read and in particular the introduction of "Fairy tale stay" is most pleasing. We sincerely appreciate the many compliments through your review and I greatly look forward to sharing them with my colleagues. It is most rewarding to hear you enjoyed your stay and indeed that you were not looking forward to travelling on!
Thank you for choosing to stay at Waterford Castle and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I booked a reservation for one night for the castle. Nights before the stay while I was in dublin they informed me that a huge wedding was going on and that I would be staying in the self catering lodge. these lodges were completely hidden and modern. also we weren't aloud to eat in the castle we had to eat at the gulf club with basically was not a dinner place. The service was terrible while i was reserving y trip the lady on the phone was rude and wouldn't answer my questions just repeated the something over again. I am not saying the lodges were bad I just wish they were like the castle, more old fashion and not impossible to find. Overall this is not my place to stay I was so excited but the Bad service and not warning me about al these switches made me very very very frustrated at the place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank lisa m
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was very disappointed to learn of your experience and I apologise for letting you down. I am very concerned to hear of rude staff as this is something unheard of at Waterford Castle. This will be investigated immediately.
I am sorry that you did not get to experience the castle and I do hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to set that right and indeed regain your confidence.
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We visited Waterford Castle Hotel in Nov of 2013 for one night. The food in the dining room for dinner was exquisitely presented and of high quality and taste. Live music provided on the piano enhanced our enjoyment. Our room overlooked the service entrance and then out to a meadow and the water. The morning meal was delicious, with all the choices we expected. The people at the castle attended to our needs graciously. Although some maintenance issues are evident, our stay was lovely.

Room Tip: Might want to request an upper floor location.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your views with us. We greatly appreciate your review and the compliments it brings. I am delighted to hear that your needs were attended to graciously and that your stay was lovely. I can assure you we are giving all maintenance issues our full attention.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Waterford Castle.
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We got married at Waterford Castle October 19th. We started to plan our wedding from Norway 18 months ago. We knew we wanted to get married in the most fantastic country in the world, but not where in Ireland. There are so many places to choose from!

We wanted to find something very special for our big day. We searched and visited several wedding venues throughout the country and considered the quality of the premises itself, the location, the food and how we were welcomed.

When we came to Waterford Castle the first time and had spent one night there, we just knew we had found what we had been looking for.

The wedding coordinator Mirka and Marketing Manager Philip have throughout the planning process been very helpful, it has been a joy to work and plan together with you!

On the big day everything worked out just as planned. A special thanks to Antonio for your brilliant coordination. Together with rest of the staff you managed everything 100% according to our strict and detailed program! Everything was done to perfection! We hope we can buy you a Guinness some day!

And what about the food? It was absolutely outstanding. It is easy to understand that the new recruited Chef has long experience from a Michelin decorated restaurant in Dublin.

It must be a pleasure for Derek, the Manager of Waterford Castle, to work with such a great, professional and not least smiling team of competent staff members. A million thanks to all of you, and our warmest regards to everyone that contributed to make our day so special. You are very warm and truly professional people.

We will never forget that Saturday in October. Waterford Castle and the people there will always have a place in our heart!

We will in every sense highly recommend Waterford Castle if you are planning for a special day.

Love from Norway, Tove & Odd Sverre

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Tove & Odd
Thank you for finding the time to share such delightful feedback. It was truly our pleasure to host your wedding and may I say that what a special event it was.
I look forward to sharing your review with my colleagues at Waterford Castle and in particular the people you have highlighted. I do hope that all of your guests had a most enjoyable experience with us. The atmosphere and sense of occasion was second to none and it was a joy to be apart of this.
We wish both of you our very best wishes for your future together and we do hope that you will visit us soon.
Derek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,303 reviews

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!