“Escape from reality to a castle!”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I had looked forward to a stay in Waterford castle for a long time and finally got around to staying the weekend of the 3rd of november! I was concerned prior to my trip that I was expecting too much from this stay!

What can I say to describe how amazing our one night stay was! From the ferry boat over to the drive in, my first sight of the castle was like a fairy tale. The reception hall is beautiful with a large fireplace as the focus. Check in was quick and efficient. Our room was the burg room, which had widows on two sides providing a beautiful vista of the island. The windows in the room were original and served as a wonderful reminder that we were staying in a castle! In response to other reviews, yes they were imperfect and there is some areas in the room that could be improved such as the bed but lets not forget you are here for a castle stay and it's very old and expensive to upkeep.

Dinner that evening was wonderful! The executive chief and his staff do a fine job! We ate the cod and the steak for our mains and both were delicious. The Munster dinning room is clad in wood and this lent itself to a romantic meal.

Early the next morning we walked the perimeter of the island which was stunning especially in the autumnal mist. Breakfast on return was swift and delicious.

All in all, I can really say I thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay in this castle! My husband and I both agreed it was worth the heafty price tag. We plan on returning for another short break at some point in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Reviewer
Many thanks indeed for posting such a lovely review.You have a painted such a glorious picture of Waterford Castle for which we are most grateful. We were delighted to read of your satisfaction of all we had to offer. I do promise that we will work on the imperfections.
It will be our pleasure to have you back in the near future.
Derek

Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Cannot fault our stay in Waterford Castle lodges! We arrived on a friday evening and as we arrived into our lodge the electric fire was on, it was very homely! The lodges were so modern, clean and new! The supplies they provided was such a plus and so helpful from towels, hair dryers to forks, plates etc. it had everything! The grounds were lovely for walks! Reception were friendly and helpful! Rooms were spacious and warm, truly no complaints! Hopefully we will be returning every year!!

• Stayed: October 2012
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to share your views with us. We were extremely happy to read of your satisfaction and approval of our Island Lodges. It was great to hear that you experienced a friendly and helpful reception.
We sincerly look forward to you returning every year.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had dinner in the castle on Sunday 28th of October and we were very disappointed.The castle is beautiful and well maintained inside and out. Antonio the manager was excellent and very friendly but the same could not be said of any of the other staff on duty that night. They seemed extremely grumpy to each other and service was appalling. They had a wedding in the hotel the day before so maybe they were exhausted but we paid a lot of money for a really bad night out. The food could only be described as terrible, tasteless and cold. We left the castle and we came back to cook some food as we were starving.

Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Irishhogs

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very dissapointed to read of your experience and sincerly apologise for letting you down. I will pass your commendations to Antonio and I am terribly sorry that I will not be doing the same for other staff. I will give your review in regards to service standards and food quality my immediate attention.
I do hope that you will consider returning to Waterford Castle as I can assure you these issues go completely away from the normal practices.
Would you please contact me directly should you decide to return.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

my Husband and i spent 5 wonderful days in the Waterford Castle Lodges...i would recommend it highly...its a beautiful place and the Castle is totally awsome...so full of history ...not only that but they had wildlife on the grounds.... if your looking for somewhere to stay you cant do better than Waterford Castle..i so enjoyed my trip i intend to go again...its an awsome place and the staff we dealt with were wonderful and friendly...that makes a big difference when you saty in a lovely place...Waterford Castle is a paradise and im so thrilled i went there ...and i sure intend to go again!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We were delighted to read your review and we are most grateful for your compliments and recognition.
We appreciate your strong recommendation and look forward to having you back.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

These are fab. Ultra modern, open plan, large with all the appliances you need to raise a 1960s irish family. The location is great, access is by private car ferry to the well laid out island. It's full of dear and other wildlife. We took the kids and they love the freedom this place affords them. Despite being an island it's very safe as the water is mostly inaccessible due to trees and bushes. My top tip is to book one of these for the next tall ships event in Waterford. Prices very keen, I think you'd do very well to beat the value here (in ireland).

Room Tip: Ask for a house that backs onto the golf course or in the last row of houses (last row as you enter...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Frankascanbe
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We were delighted to read of your satisfaction with the lodges. All in all we are sincerely grateful for all the positive commentary and commendations you have given us. Your seal of approval is most welcome.
We greatly look forward to seeing you back at the lodges.

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We got married in Waterford Castle in April and went back last weekend for our 6 month anniversary (very corny but a good excuse).

From our first viewing of the venue, every member of staff has been a credit to the place. Gillian, Joanna and Adrian couldn't have done enough to calm nerves when needed and to keep everything running smoothly. On the day, the waiting and bar staff were wonderful, efficient and friendly they made every guest feel special.

I can't praise the food enough. For the wedding, so many guests expressed surprise that steaks were cooked to their liking, special requests were followed perfectly and the quality was so far above what anyone would expect for a wedding meal. The food last weekend was just as good, the scallop starter was delicious and the venison just melted in my mouth.

We stayed in the Presidential Suite on both occasions. I've noticed some reviews here remarking negatively on the decor but there's certainly nothing wrong with this room. It keeps the period feel of the place with the bonus of a really comfortable bed.

We've already booked to go back again for our 1st anniversary, I can't wait!

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for posting your recent review. We were delighted to have you back and we greatly appreciate the kind comments and recognition you have given the staff. I look forward to sharing your review with all the people you have mentioned.
Thank you again for your approval and we look forward to welcoming you back on your 1st anniversary.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was recently married at the Waterford Castle and it was amazing. The staff made everything so easy, the were wonderful and pretty much did everything for me. I cant thank them enough. The room was beautiful and the breakfast was delicious. I hated leaving after only 2 days I could have stayed a week. The castle itself is breathtaking, the grounds are so pretty and its so relaxing. You cant possibly have a bad experience here, I don't think they would let you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to share your views with us. It was our pleasure to host your wedding and congratulations again. Your review is most complimentary and makes for delightful reading.
We hope to welcome you back for your anniversary and indeed before that if possible! Please stay a week the next time!
Derek

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#5 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!