“New Year at the Granville”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Granville Hotel

Granville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Neath, United Kingdom
“New Year at the Granville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed at the Granville Hotel for New Year with friends had a wonderful few days there,the quality of food was really good and in particular the service. The Gala New years evening was let down by the entertainment which was really bad, but apart from that we had a good time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank elizabeth528
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We really appreciate your feed back. We are grateful for your positive comments and I am sorry about the entertainment on New Years Eve. Not making an excuse but the person we had booked and who has entertained very well over the last number of New Years Eve took ill and was sadly unable to perform. We have taken your comments on board when looking at next New Years Eve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Yesterday while in Waterford, my friend and I said we would try the Granville for lunch. There was a huge crowd there due to Graduations in WIT but despite the queue, we hung on in there and waited. What struck me was the friendliness and efficiency of the staff, on what, must have a nightmare day. In the carvery, the food was excellent and my lamb was delicious. The tables were cleared immediately, making room for the next customer. Well done on keeping the standard high on a very busy day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Martha047
Your comments after your recent visit to the Granville Hotel on Graduation day are very much appreciated. Many thanks for taking the time to do so.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is family run and when we stayed was packed (late December )
I stayed here before so always try get a room overlooking front of hotels. Other rooms not as nice. Food is standard bar food - roasts spuds cabbage etc in monstrous portions. I suspect hotel does a lot of golden oldie packages from what we saw. Band playing in bar was Margo/joe Dolan/big tom vintage. Breakfast in the tapestry room was like something from 50's. All in all everything is fine, it's clean but it's catering to a certain market...

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank andrewv45
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are appreciated and I am glad that all-in all everything was fine. We try to cater to a mixed market and would certainly look forward to your comments when you next visit the hotel. Please ask to be shown some of our back rooms as we have recently completed refurbishment. We have only used the Tapestry twice for breakfast recently and it was an overflow to our main restaurant. We receive great comments about our breakfast but before I use it again for breakfast I will consider your comments and for this I am grateful.
waterford Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Although this place is local to me a feel I have to write this short review as the service and staff is excellent. Recently awarded their 4th star I dropped in for lunch and was extremely impressed by the quality of food and in particular the service. The bar and eating area is full of old world charm so if your in the area drop in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BrianHeylin
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Delighted that you took the time to write your review. We very much appreciate your comments on the food and service and we are very grateful to all our local customers. Gaining our fourth star was a great achievement for us. We hope it will benefit the hotel and Waterford into the future.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Our second night in Ireland was spent at the Granville Hotel in Waterford. We booked the bed and breakfast for one night. This is a gorgeous hotel. The staff was wonderful, very friendly, courteous and helpful. Our room was clean and the beds were very comfortable! We closed the window due to vehicle noise from street but a fan was provided in the room for air movement. Nice touch.

The bar was beautiful and several people were coming in for dinner both there and at the main restaurant. I should have noted this and stayed for dinner there but ventured out instead. Needless to say, the the breakfast I experienced at the hotel the following morning was the best. The chef just added his version eggs Benedict to the menu and they were the most fabulous, mouthwatering that I have ever had. His sauce was spectacular and he serves it over a wonderfully moist yeast or potato roll. Eggs Benedict, step aside this Irish version is FABULOUS!

I highly recommend a stay at the granville, steps from shopping, Waterford crystal, overlooks the warf, close to everywhere one would want to be. My only regret is that we didn't stay more nights!

Room Tip: Noise from cars but completely quiet with window closed or chose room facing the back of the hotel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie G
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. We very much appreciate your kind comments and are delighted you enjoyed your stay. Perhaps the next time you will be able to stay more than one night. It is lovely for all of us to read what you had to say and that our new addition to the breakfast menu Eggs Benedict Waterford style was a big hit. We are very grateful for your recommendation.
Dromore, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had read the reviews about how good the food was in this hotel, so when we were in Waterford last week, we thought we would try to get a meal, as the place only had about 20 people in the bar. But despite waiting for 20 minutes, while 3 bar staff walked past cleaning the floor and chatting we were not asked if we wanted a meal or a drink. So i went up to the bar, and asked if I could order a meal, and was told that someone would be down to our table shortly. But after waiting another 10 minutes, no-one appeared, so we left and found a small restaurant called the Pantry next door, which although hadn't the same style of seats as the Granville, it did provide excellant food. During our 30 minute wait 2 other couples that were sitting close to us, also got tired of waiting to have their order taken and left.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul T
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. As you will appreciate we are very concerned when we read such a review. It is clear that some where our procedure broke down and you where left waiting and for this I am truly sorry. By bringing this to our attention we can revisit our procedures and remind everyone what we need to do. The staff has read your review and are very disappointed that they left you waiting and damaged the reputation of the hotel. What would help us to ensure this does not happen again is if you could email the day and the time this happened to rhurley@granville-hotel.ie. Hopefully you will return to the Granville Hotel and see that this incident was a once off. Again my apologies and many thanks again for your review.
Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I'm on holiday with my Sister Roseann from American to celebrate her Birthday! We have ventured across all of Ireland and had the greatest of luck to find this wonderful Hotel and Restaurant!
I happened to see its lovely stain glass entrance as we drove down the main street! I had my sister walk in to inquire about room rates and if they had any rooms available? Roseann was meet by the Receptionist, miss Mary, who was as friendly as could be and explained the rates and their specials. What a kind thing to practice being kind and helpful! I stay in a lot of hotels through a lot of them have lost this Professional approach to management! We had a delicious Dinner( I had the seafood chowder soup! it was excellent! I watched a sweet lady pick up a penny as she walked thru the restaurant! I told her in jest that its was a lucky penny and she was going to have a wonderful night! she laughed and introduce me to the gentleman next to her and said her was blessed and lucky all ready, they were the Owners of this charming place. to see the pride and love that those two spoke of this hotel tells me that this why such attention to detail is so important! I write a lot about clean and affordable Hotels and this one is at the top! they have easy access for handicap or elderly persons wanting to stay!
Thank you again for the wonderful memories, Ann and Liam Cusack !

Room Tip: Our room had a bay view and in the morning it revealed a lovely town.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Waterfordhotel, Owner at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
We were delighted to have met you and that you enjoyed your visit to the Granville Hotel. We really appreciate your very kind comments and hope you both get the opportunity to visit us again sometime in the future.