“Very rushed”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of McLeary's

McLeary's
Ranked #5 of 173 Restaurants in Waterford
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very rushed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband & I spent the night in Waterford City recently and went for a meal in this restaurant! It was a close call between this one and Emiliano's next door! It was a Friday night and 7.30 when we arrived and had not booked a table!
The waiters seemed very friendly and helpful and took out coats and showed us to our table! We were given the menus and before we had picked what wine we wanted we were asked if we were ready to order, I asked him for a few minutes!
My husband ordered the soup for starter, I didn't have anything, and we both ordered steak for main course! The soup arrived to our table almost immediately! Although doubts were starting to creep in about being one of these restaurants where they are shoving the food down your throat and getting you out the door, I gave them the benefit of the doubt as after all it is soup and not much cooking or preparing needed!
The leak & potato soup was only ok, my husband who does not put salt in anything surrendered in the end to the blandness of it and had to add some!
He had just about out his spoon down when the bowl was whisked away and before I knew it, my pet hate was happening! The waiter grabbed out bottle of wine and topped up my glass before asking me ! Raging! I hate this, or two reasons, firstly I was driving so was only planning on having one, secondly I hate mixing the now room temperature wine with the ice cold top up!
Less than five minutes after our starter our main arrived! I ordered the 6 oz steak which was served on a bed of mash and came with a bowl of veg! When I say veg I am being extremely kind, frozen strips of carrot and broccoli! Unedible is all I can say! My steak came without onions or mushrooms !
My husband ordered the 8oz steak and his came with a bowl of chips and mushrooms on the side and three huge onion rings! Straight away I felt inferior and had to take some of his chips and onion rings in order to feel like I was eating a dinner as oppose to steak and mash!
The steak was only ok, mine was a bit fatty and my husband said there was a weird smell off the mushrooms! We have without a doubt had better steaks in a pub even! My steak knife had barely touched the plate and they grabbed it, this time the waiter knew by my face that I was annoyed an asked my was I finished to which I promptly replied just about! He made some polite small talk and walked off!
Bottom line, this restaurant was nice on the inside, nice atmosphere but is ruined by the rush rush of the waiters and the service! I would much rather them not give us a table if they were under pressure! However I could see that they were like this with all the tables! I would not go back here as we did not get the opportunity to really relax at all in between courses and the food just wasn't up to scratch!

• Visited November 2013

• Polish first
Cork, Ireland
“Good night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Went with friends from Carrick on Suir. Not from Waterford so went on their recommendation. Not disappointed. Excellent choice from Value Menu and A La Carte. Everyone was happy with their meal and the service was very good. Would go back next time in Waterford. Well done to all involved.

• Visited October 2013
England
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went last week, good food. Cosy atmosphere, enjoyed it. Not cheap but a good meal and we would return again

• Visited October 2013
Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“happy customers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went here to celebrate my friend's birthday. We have a space for ourselves (around 10 people).

- great service, very accommodating staff
- great ambiance
- delicious food
- endless supply of water which is good

Will recommend this to others.

• Visited September 2013
Waterford, Ireland
“great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

great family night with american guests. food amazing . staff very helpful . waiter very helpful with wine choice.

• Visited September 2013