“Superb ...in every way”

Ranked #51 of 182 Restaurants in Waterford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had the pleasure of hosting a family event in the Athenaeum House hotel this weekend and it was wonderful from start to finish.
Even before it started the whole phone booking process combined with the desire to get everything right from the beginning was superb .
The flexibility and welcome as we arrived were outstanding .
The food was of the highest standard,beautifully presented ,huge variety and with plenty more available for those with hungrier appetites.There were twenty plus of us present and not only was everyone happy with their meals they were delighted with the variety on offer and the care demonstrated in preperation .This is sometimes so lacking when a large group suffers through the rush to serve all together.
However what really stood out for me was the attention ,attitude and welcome received from all of the staff whom we were in contact with .It was a pleasure to behold and really was the cap on the day for me and those with me .
Everyone was listened to ,responded to and welcomed throughout.
Excellent in every way
I ,and we in the group ,will be back ,singularly and collectively to this great establishment.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We recently had our daughters christening dinner at Zakss Athenaeum House and I have to say it was just perfect in everyway. The dinner was for 17 adults and 5 children, we were given a beautiful room just off the main restaurant, dinner was delicious (even the kid’s meals) and the service was excellent. Our older children were able to play in the large lawn off the back patio. We had such a lovely relaxed day, we didn't want to leave when it was time to get the kids home to bed. I wish I could comment on the rooms but unfortunately I didn’t get to stay - maybe next time!

1  Thank Leanne T
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Staying in the Athenaeum House, did not sway my review of this fine restaurant... our 1st night was planned, Good Friday for the "day that was in it" as the Irish say...

It surpassed our expectations, from starter to dessert - excellent, I'd the scallops and the Venison (cooked perfect at Medium rare), the reports of the steak were nice - I'll collaborate this as this was my main course on Easter Sunday.

Very attentive (just about the right level) turned what was our breakfast lounge into a fine restaurant with atmosphere to suit for the Friday (although it was quieter), Sunday was busier in due to a loud party with numerous young kids struggling past 10pm (not the hotels fault, but I'm not a stick in the mud, but I did feel the young babies/kids may have benefitted from an earlier meal time). I do commend the staff for how they dealt with this though. It is the rough with the smooth.

So two nights, and two thumbs up from us - with the Hotel being very nice, we would always consider returning or just eating here again, when next in the neighbourhood.

1  Thank gerrymac32
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Most amazing experience in Waterford! Great ambiance, amazing chef and really welcoming proprietors! This is one of the best places for a fancy dinner or a relaxing lunch. At a very agreeable price!

1  Thank DanaFleseru
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Everything fresh right off the farm good! Doesn't get any better than this! I had never heard of black and white pudding! Carrie (receptionist), made sure I tried it! Don't know about other black and white puddings...but this was delightful and I am American! The ambience was superb. relaxing, sophisticated, elegantly stated but comfortably suited. Excellent cocktail/beverage/table service. Everyone should eat here!