“food & service first class” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Boheme

La Boheme
Ranked #10 of 174 Restaurants in Waterford
Cuisines: Seafood, French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: La Bohème Restaurant is housed in the vaults of the Georgian ‘Port of Waterford’ building – an historic property which has been associated with the local Chamber of Commerce for many years.Proprietors Christine and Eric Théze have patiently restored this magnificent space to create an inviting and intimate atmosphere. Its original flagstone floors, limewashed walls and vaulted ceilings are unique and particular to Waterford. The design of the restaurant is sympathetic to the architecture of the building, with influences of New Baroque. The restaurant combines ornate antiques and decoration with modern touches creating an eclectic, decadent interior.La Bohème is a restaurant where the pleasures of the table are in accord with the décor, blending modern delicacies with recipes passed down from generation to generation. Enjoy an aperitif at our beautiful pewter bar while perusing the menu and whetting your appetite.‘Here at La Bohème we pride ourselves in going the extra mile to give our customers a dining experience beyond comparison’
Waterford
“food & service first class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife & I had a meal here recentlyLa Boheme recently. The food was excellent as was the presentation. However what struck me most about the restaurant was the service. Little details like our wine glasses being topped when runing low or breads being offered or our water refresehed left us with the impression that customer service is a high priority for the staff. The high level of service complemented the excellent food. Well done La Boheme, we'll be back.

• Visited October 2012
Dear WaterfordWaters,
Merci Beacoup for such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you took the time to write a review but most importantly that you enjoyed your dining experience in La Boheme.

It means alot to us to get feedback (especially positive) about our customers experience and we are delighted you appreciated all the little touches from our staff. They work hard and we would not be where we are without their passion and loyalty,
Christine

Killarney, Ireland
“Most Beautiful Restaurant, Most Delicious Food, Great Caring Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I don't think there are enough adjectives to describe the wonderful experience my husband and I had at this restaurant. My husband found the restaurant in TripAdvisor, so we were excited to try it out. Our expectations were well surpassed. Not only did we throughly enjoy the food, but it was also so very very reasonable in price as we arrived in time for the Early Bird option - which meant three courses for €29.00.

The ambience of this restaurant truly invokes the feel of a first-class French restaurant somewhere in the heart of Paris, only better ! The vaulted ceiling adds to the feel of "Frenchiness", as do the delicately sounding accents of the French staff. Oh la la, I can say. Then the decor - simple, but very tasteful, with round-backed chairs and good-sized tables. Beautiful and well-appointed pictures on the walls also.

Then the food - absolument délicieux. We both had a delicious starter. Then for main course I had a chicken dish with deliciously fresh vegetables and potato cakes. My husband had steak. With this we had a lovely botte of Merlot. For dessert I had a to-die-for crème brulée and my husband had apple and berry crumble with home-made ice-cream. Then our cup of coffee at the end was supplied with delightful little "petit-fours", or dessert sweets. Yummy ! Simply yummy.

The staff who waited on us were a treat - observant and attentive without being overpowering. And so friendly and gracious when taking orders and bringing the food.

I can't wait to return to La Bohème - hopefully that won't be too long from now. A most enjoyable culinary experience !!!! Top marks !!!!!

• Visited October 2012
Dear Marion 054,
I am so glad you found us on Trip Advisor and that you proceeded to try us out. More and more I find that Tripadvisor is a very good way for us to get new business, as it is totally unbiased and those who leave reviews are from a cross-section of society.

But oh la la, what a lovely review from yourselves, so detailed and with such lovely accolades, we really are very happy when we know our customers leave happy and that they have noticed all the little details that we have put in place to ensure a pleasurable dining experience.
We hope to welcome you back to La Boheme on a future occasion,
Waterford, Ireland
“Lovely food and excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have been to this restaurant many times and must admit that I really enjoy a night out here. The restaurant itself is lovely. Food was very good, I was on a girls night out and all but one of us really enjoyed the meal.
The service at restaurant is excellent, we had a French waiter, he may possibly be the manger and was very friendly and professional and attended to our every need. The staff here really do make the difference. there worth there weight in gold.

Dear Shopping-Spraoi,
Your second review about La Boheme on Trip Advisor, so thank you for being not only a regular customer, but someone who also gives us feedback after a dining experience.

We really do appreciate knowing what our customers feel and think and it can only enhance your dining experience if we learn what we are doing right - and continue to do so and improve. And likewise if someone has a less than positive critique, we always take this on board as well.

We are delighted you found the food and service lovely and as I run front of house, I am always particularly chuffed when someone appreciates the small touches our staff look after so professionally.

We hope to welcome you on a future visit to La Boheme.
“Great Food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Went to La Boheme Last Saturday and had one of the nicest meals I have had in a long time. All four of us had different dishes for starter and main course and there was equal praise for all.
I started with the pork belly and it was fab
The decor is great as the restaraunt is situated in a restored basement with vaulted ceilings and little rooms of the main dining area. The Kitchen is also in full view.
The big thing I liked though was the little things , The mis en Bouche before the starter, The attentive service the petit fours with the tea all making it more than the ordianry dining experience.

CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear John O,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write about La Boheme on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate that in this busy life we all lead, that someone takes the time to praise their dining experience in our restaurant. We are delighted you enjoyed the ambience and food and hopefully this will bring you back on a future occasion.
Waterford, Ireland
“Good but a little disappointed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Never having been to La Boheme, I was really looking forward to a special experience.

The setting for this restaurant reminded me of restaurants abroad - flagstones, secret rooms, interesting art; the feeling that it has always been there yet modern, comfortable, clean and very inviting.

We ordered from the €35 menu even though we had booked early enough to choose from the early bird (€24 for 2 courses, €29 for three) as the choices here were limited and when the eye wandered over to the other, more extensive menu, it was difficult not to want more.

The presentation was gorgeous, the flavours interesting, the food local. Our party of seven had a variety of dishes - some more successful than others. Everything was fresh and tasty but for me it wasn't wow and certainly not as sublime as I had hoped. The accompaniments of potato gratin and veg were lovely and very moreish. Desserts were mixed. The big disappointment was the chocolate fondant. Described to us by our waitress as soft cake with an oozing centre, it was neither. Instead it was cold, hard and dry. We mentioned it but no-one came back to address our issue with it.

Audrey, our waitress, was simply fab! Nothing was too much trouble, she was very attentive and yet not intrusive; her broken English very charming.

For the money we paid, I think I expected more. I feel bad giving it a three rating but as it was expensive (2 bottles of wine and some pre-dinner drinks plus teas, coffees and 10%service charge, pushed the bill to €60 each) I definitely have had better and more comprehensively impressive meals. Whilst, it was lovely and we enjoyed a great night, I will probably look elsewhere for dinner before I part with that kind of money again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 75Catherine75
CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear 75Catherine75,
Many thanks for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

As with everything in life, we can't please absolutely everyone and whilst you and your party seem to have enjoyed the majority of your dining experience with us, it did not "comprehensively impress" you. It would be great to have had feedback in person, as somehow from the rest of your review, everything (bar one dessert) seemed to tick all the boxes. I apologize that the chocolate fondant was not replaced and have made sure it wont happen again.

Perhaps an oversight on your part, was that you were accommodated in one of our private dining rooms with your very own waitress for the entire evening at no extra charge. And we decorated each and every dessert with a candle and a happy birthday greeting. The entire bill came to 362 euro before service which for a party of 7 in a fine dining restaurant is probably the norm.