“One of the best restaurants in Waterford”

L Atmosphere Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 188 Restaurants in Waterford
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Tucked away within a quaint townhouse in the heart of Waterford City, L`Atmosphere is an authentic French bistro and wine bar run by Arnaud Mary and Patrice Garreau since 2005. Expect fresh and seasonal cuisine prepared by Arnaud and dedicated chef and served by a courteous and professional staff. A multy award winning eatery fearuring a unique variety of local fish and sea food, you will also find the best of Irish beef, poultry, lamb and when in the season wild game. Quality, local ingredients cooked with precision and flair are the emphasis. Sofisticated desserts prepared exclusively by pastry chef Patrice Garreau provide a suitable ending to mouth-watering meal. Alternative try a selection of the finest Irish and French cheese. Eamon Barrett advising of "Wonderful food, elegantly cooked and served, showing a deep culinary culture. This small but perfectly formed bistro is truly not to be missed
Reviewed January 11, 2010

The food here is excellent, and very good value. Good selection of vegetarian main courses (on request). Good house red. Creme brulee is to die for. Have never been disappointed.

1  Thank Sapphora1984

Reviewed January 5, 2010

I have gone to this restaurant 5-6 times before and always found the food to be of good quality and value for money, on my last visit which was last Sunday (3-01-10) I was very disappointed to say the least. I had gone there with my wife and 13 yr old son; we decided to go for the €20 per head menu. My son and I ordered the vegetable soup for starters, the soup was flavourless and the consistency was like water, we had to smother it with salt and pepper in order to get a taste of it, I can honestly say that I have gotten packet soup that was nicer. My wife got the cheese parcel which was ok but it was quite small compared with previous times. Considering that both of these starters are pre made there is no excuse to get them wrong.

For our main course the 3 of us ordered a chicken casserole dish that came with potatoes and vegetables in it. It came to our table in one big dish to share between ourselves. The portion size was enough to keep 1 person satisfied, there was 4-5 slices of boiled potatoes (not even full ones) and a handful of cubes of carrots and about 3 pieces of chicken per person, at this point I should of called for the waiter but I didn’t (will know better next time).I’ve had this dish before and the sauce was allot richer, thicker and much tastier, some double cream wouldn’t of went astray.

For deserts we ordered 2 crème brulles and profiteroles, the 2 crème brulles were nice, I thought that the pastry in my profiteroles was very thick and tasted quite stale, as I have never eaten profiteroles in a restraunt maybe this is the way that they are supposed to taste?. I just thought that they would be more fluffy and lighter. Before I paid my bill I called the waiter aside discretely to express my disappointment and he gave me a comment card to fill in, he should have given me 3-4 sheets of A4 paper, he said that he would give it to the chef, in all honesty I think that he was fobbing me off. The pen that he gave me to write with wasn’t even working properly, at this point I felt like someone in a faulty towers episode. I paid my bill and ran out the door.

“WOULD I EVER RETURN TO THIS RESTAURAUNT”
My son who was looking forward to going there said that it was one of the worst meals that he’s ever eaten and that he would never go back. Both my wife and myself said that it would be a long time if ever before we would return. For the sake of the restaurant staying in business I hope to GOD that we caught them on a bad night.

My review is 100% honest and I am not lying or exaggerating to illustrate my point. I hope that the owner(s) read this and I would love them to reply. I am well used to dining out on a regular basis throughout the country and have numerous meals both good and not so good but this is the first time that I felt compelled to submit a review

3  Thank migada
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Honestly, I want to like L'atmosphere. It's got a cheap early bird (20 euro for a 3 course), its nice inside. However, this is the third time I've had an appalling meal there and I'm wondering where people are having all of these gorgeous meals at. I've twice previously had the early bird, and noticing a chicken dish I had before (which was little more than poorly cooked, tough chicken with carrots and potatoes) and a very bony and sad looking mackerel, I ordered from the main menu. The main I had WAS good, beef bourguignon but honestly I feel its a hard dish for a restaurant to mess up. I had a lobster and shrimp bisque which had neither lobster or shrimp and was completely watery. I should had sent it back, and I regret that I didn't complain. Bisque that isn't creamy, and no pieces of seafood? For 7 euro? They should be ashamed. We also had egg custard in our profiteroles (and the woman ordering had an egg allergy) and had a piping hot plate sat down in front of a pregnant woman with no warning that it came straight from a very hot oven.
Spend an extra 9 euro on your early bird and eat at La Boheme if you want good French food in Waterford, I know I'm done with these guys.

Reviewed September 27, 2009

I was in this restaurant once with 3 friends. It's a french restaurant, but its very queit, along a side street in Waterford, up from the main Quay in the city.
There isn't much natural light in this place, and it felt very dark and dreary. The waiter we had, comes along with a "blackboard" with the menu written on it in chalk! He wasn't the nicest of waiters i have been served by.
He did know his wines and was able to suggest a wine to go with our food. The menu was a little limited. But it was nice. The dessert was average.
Overall, this restaurant isn't the greatest i have been too, but if you like french food, and want a quiet spot to have a small romantic meal, then head to this place.

Reviewed July 19, 2009

Excellent food although portions smaller than usual, service is great & staff very friendly.