“One of my favourites”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I preface this review by saying that the owners are two of my best friends but what I write is impartial, honest and done without reference to them. I have been coming here for years and in recent times it has gotten better and better. It is in essence a steak restaurant which also serves good and simple fish. For me you come here for steak that is as good as any restaurant in Ireland and beyond. The proof in how good the meat is, rests in the fact that you don't need a sauce for it - it really is that good and if you ask for it rare, you get it rare. In addition they have changed the vegetables and have really gotten them right, grilled asparagus, green beans and big chips. All of this for €23.95. I have paid considerably more elsewhere for far lesser quality. The starters are now based on quality local produce, cooked simply and presented well. The wine list ticks all the boxes and is well priced with some quirky bottles available also.

The staff are warm and from what I've seen regulars and strangers get a similar welcome. In short this place is seriously underrated and it's well worth a trip. It was always good but after the simplification of the menu and return to doing the basics really well - it has become very good and a restaurant I am proud to bring visitors to. I genuinely believe it is presently Sligo's best.

embassygrill, Owner at The Embassy Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Hi Caveat Viator C,

Sincere thanks for your recent review and apologies we are only getting to respond now. We really appreciate you taking the time to give such a positive review of our restaurant on Tripadvisor.

As a great friend of the our family, we very much appreciate your continued custom & strong recommendations and praise you give The Embassy Steakhouse.

To ensure the best tasting steaks, we serve only certified Prime Irish Hereford beef and source only the best local artisan produce to compliment the dishes.

We are proud to say that we have once again achieved the independently assessed "Recommended by Taste of Ireland" award for 2014......." Sligo is punching above it’s weight in the culinary stakes, and Embassy Steakhouse is one of the leaders........."

Looking forward to seeing you soon again in The Embassy Steakhouse.......

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Visited here on a Sunday evening with a child and older person. Wanted something tasty, quick and simple but boy did this prove confusing for the rather abrupt waitress. On entering we had to try and find someone to serve us - our mysterious waitress was missing! She finally appeared and and told us we had to sit at a table sandwiched between a fire escape and kitchen door. It was freezing! The rest of the seats remained empty. We eventually were shown a menu but as we wanted just a main course this menu was taken from us. It took approx 20 mins of further waiting for us to get this information. An A la Carte menu was brought and we ordered the very same thing again, main courses were the same. By now we had been in the restaurant over 40 mins. Again the wait began but eventually the food arrived. Hair in the butter, child's food rubber chicken and greasy chips. Adults food ok. Overall a real disappointment and a definite once off visit.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Walked in off the street with my wife and had no problem getting a table. We had a ten minute wait in the bar whilst the table was prepaired. I had a pint of Guinness which was very good and my wife asked for a Rose wine. There was only one choice which was disappointing considering the vast amount of Rose that is available now.
My starter was a crab linguine which could be ordered as a starter or main and when it came out it was enormous, if this was the starter I can't imaging the main. It also had parmesian cheese grated over it which was not mentioned on the menu. If you don't like chesse this would be an issue.
Main course was a rib eye steak which was perfect for my liking and the chips were some of the best I have had (could have had a few more on the plate though). The peppercorn sauce I felt came out of a packet but there was another pepper sauce reduction on the plate which I thought was a lot tastier and should have been the main sauce.
My wife had the sirloin and agreed that it was very good steak. With the large main and starter we didn't manage a desert but from what other diners we eating looked very good.

Decor was cosy with low lighting and booths on one side and seperate table and chairs on the other. Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Price was competivley priced for the class of resturant it is.

Overall nice little restuarant which you could overlook as it is not on the main shopping/bar area.

1  Thank David G
Reviewed November 20, 2013

ate here while in sligo for the week, went to watch the match and had a dinner aswell. ordered the steak and wings deal. service was poor, the servant never checked on me to see if i had everything, which i was never served the sauce i ordered. deal was good value, but you pay for what you get, no presentation, thrown on a plate and wings were tastless. Guinness was good tho.

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had the early bird menu here which was brilliant value. The staff were fantastic, made you feel at and home and mega relaxed. The cosiness of the setting also helps all this along especially on a rainy October evening in Sligo. With the early bird you get your starter, main and dessert plus tea or coffee. Decent sized portions with tasty veg selection ( sort of ratatouille made up of pumpkin..... Halloween theme maybe!, courgettes etc) Had the best ever cheesecake there - baked vanilla and proper baked cheesecake - not the moussy type that has a habit of sneaking in. I know Sligo well but was not aware that here was so good..... bit of a best kept secret... tucked away like the setting.

3  Thank Bernadette014