“GREAT Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Meath
“GREAT Hotel”
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Just got back from this great Hotel. I thought it would be good as the person I booked with was really nice and couldn't have been friendlier her name was Teresa.There was plenty of FREE parking. The receptionist was very busy when we got there, she went through the line really quickly and was also very friendly.The room was like no other I'd stayed in.The view of the river was fabulous. The shower was powerful. Breakfast was good. I had asked the night before for recommendations of places to eat.The receptionist gave me a list. I will go back here again and again. If I had one small negative thing to stay, I would say that they should have information on the local area and things to do in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janiel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a romantic weekend in November '10. The hotel is in a great location in Sligo, during the weekend we saw the other hotels that we considered and they were all much further out of the town centre, so we were glad we chose this hotel.
We paid for a room upgrade overlooking the river and it was great, nice balcony and views. The staff were very pleasant and the buffet breakfast was good with plenty of choice, although some of the hot options were a bit luke warm.
We had an evening meal included with our deal, this was average enough although the chicken was nice.
The lifts in the hotel are notoriously slow, so we found it quicker to take the stairs. Although we found it unusual that the stairwells werent actually finished yet, they are bare concrete and werent decorated or floored! It didnt really matter but it just gave an unfinished feel.
Overall though I would recommend this hotel. Whilst in Sligo check out the trad music session in Foley's pub, if it's on. The two lads playing were great craic and we enjoyed a few drinks with them after. Fiddler's creek is also good.

County Meath, Ireland
Reviewed November 18, 2010

This hotel is very central, underground parking available. The hotel itself looks a bit out of place but maybe im just not into modern architecture! the reception area is average enough and the front entrance is in a side street which isnt ideal but this is more than compensated with the riverside of the hotel which is stunning. The receptionist we dealt with (Justyna) when checking in was pleasant and helpful. The room was modern, but i liked it and the views and sound of the river outside was impressive, we were on the 3rd floor, the room was big enough, maybe bigger single beds would be better? The food menu in the bar was limited enough although it was very busy with a wedding and graduation, so considering this it was ok. Sligo itself was good, some nice pubs, particulary hardigans for drink and food, all within a short walking distance of the hotel. Overall i thought the hotel was good value for money and in a great central location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 14, 2010

My partner and I stayed on a leisure break for a weekend.
Location
The location of the hotel is great. Slap bang in the centre of everything and on the riverside so the views were stunning. There are many pubs and restaurants within a 5 - 10min walk and all of the people were really friendly.
Rooms:
The rooms were spacious and decorated well and the beds were big and very comfortable. OUr room had an LCD tv with a good choice of TV stations. The only downside was the price of the internet which was €10 for 12 hours. Bit of a rip off as I only needed it for 10 mins but had to pay for 12hrs!
Food:
We stayed on a bed & breakfast with one evening meal deal. Value wise the deal was very good. Breakfast was continental style with the additional of the usual hot irish breakfast minus the soda etc. The breakfast was grand apart from it being slightly tepid. It was self service which is ideal for all you big eaters out there! Dinner was a bit disappointing and the service was poor. Everything came out very quickly which is a worry as it didn't taste overly fresh. The chicken was the only thing that saved the main course. The menu was ok but since we were on the meal deal weekend package steaks were only available at a supplement.

Lifts and general information about the hotel:
The main let down for what is otherwise great hotel was the lifts. They are so slow and we found it was quicker to take the stairs. The only downside was that you can't get into the hotel basement without the lift! We ended up using the stairs (once we found them as everything was badlymarked out).

All in all it was a nice hotel and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be in the centre of things. Great for young people and couples with the romantic setting overlooking the river.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed here during the Sligo Live weekend and although we had a blast in Sligo, the Glasshouse left alot to be desired for. First off, they attempted to place us in a standard room even though we had prepaid for 3 nights in a deluxe room over two months ago. After complaining to reception and having to wait with our luggage, they found us a room. I have to say that this is far from a 4star hotel. The furniture and carpets in our room and the hallways were absolutely filthy. You had to put a towel down just to sit on the chair by the window. Housekeeping was lax and barely gave a surface clean during our stay and also neglected to replace anything such as tissues, toiletries and condiments.....all the more disappointing since we had left her a few Euros as a tip on the dresser on the first day. Rubber mats hanging from the bathroom also don't make for a very 4star experience. None of the staff seemed to know where any landmarks or sites were so I would suggest that they either be informed of their surroundings or that the hotel hire native Irish staff.

The worst part of our stay was checking out when they tried to charge 68Euros for a room upgrade (THE ONE WE HAD ALREADY PAID FOR IN FULL BEFORE ARRIVING). It was presented on a statement as a telephone charge for a 5minute call from Sligo to Dublin. How sly, unprofessional and lowbrow????? Had we not caught this sneaky trick, it would surely have but taken from our credit card. After firmly refusing to pay these trumped up charges, they were removed but not before leaving a very bad taste in our mouth.

Overall, a highly overrated, poorly run hotel that is badly in need of a good clean, staff with some scruples and a long overdue update.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KellyBallycastle
Kildare
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I was headed over to Sligo to visit a few mates and was recommended this hotel as it was central. The price was a little steep 99 euro (when you consider I got a far nicer hotel beside the Giants causeway for around the 60 euro mark). But I snapped it up as I was told that the other hotels were further out and could cost a fortune in taxis.

Firstly the good points, the staff were excellent and always cheery. I only add this as in your room there is a comment card but the questions are all rigged to aim any ill feeling at the feet of the staff. Ironically the comment card does not allow you to leave a comment .... but I digress. The hotel itself is extremely modern and cool and your parking is comped. The rooms were tidy and modern with the usual features. The pub in the hotel is also modern and staff here are always willing to please.

On the downside there were a lot of niggling things. The lifts became a running joke... there are 3 (2 for the rooms and a hidden third at the back of the bar that's not signposted but gets you quickly to the car park levels). The timing was way off on them and you'd frequently ride them all the way to the 6th floor just because it took so long for ur lift to arrive. Then on closing time one of the lifts broke down. I know you're thinking "why didn't you use the stairs"... well the answer was the stairs weren't signposted and were very hard to find. Next on the hitlist was car parking. the hotel is modern but you get the sense it's a victim of the boom... the lay-out has pillars everywhere and you get the sense they spent all the money on aesthetics. there's a lot of room lost just on layout of ramps etc. The hotel also didn't offer breakfast in our deal which was disappointing as we were staying on a Saturday night and paying "top dollar". In the room the decor was bland but for a guy the TV was tiny... not that we were staying indoors for long but Ireland were playing and I hoped to take in the game so from that aspect I wouldn't like to spend too much time in my room (by tiny I am exagerating a little but I stayed in a holiday inn for half the price and the TV was twice the size). The next morning I opened the window and seen some chap out on the roof pretty much staring into our window... Getting to the hotel is a little awkward if you've never driven through sligo before. I literally was taking stabs at junctions hoping I would wind up at the hotel and eventually got there.

Next up and the last comment is Internet access... the hotel doesn't offer free wifi... and when you connect you have to buy your credit which is fair enought. however the network is set-up for stirling (a minor thing you may think) but the minimum credit is £5 however, in this whacky world the euro equivalent was €10...

All in all I'd give it an average rating as it does exactly what it says on the tin. But for the price you'd probably find somewhere cheaper that offers a little more. The staff are excellent and even when we asked one of the ladies on the front desk for a list of restaurants she was able to recite quite a few and even gave us a map to the best ones. In the bar my girlfriend asked for a glass of ice well apst closing and the bar man couldn't be more helpful... But for price and value. I'd recommend you try elsewhere... afterall tis a recession...

1 Thank gerzee16
gaillimh
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I stayed at the Co-op the night of the Mark Ronson gig.

The hotel is in a great location, the rooms are nice as is the architectural design of the building.

The night of the show, the the hotel was full. In Ireland, hotel bars can serve residents after the normal closing times for pubs. Normally hotels check at the door to make sure that everyone coming in is staying at the hotel. This didn't happen - problem number 1. If a bar is going to be open late and busy (the hotel was full with concert goers), they should hire security staff, the Glasshouse didn't - problem number 2.

To cut to the chase - a brawl erupted between a member of the band and some idiot. When it kicked off, there wasnt a staff member to be found, it kept going on and on and on. The staff never intervened. The cops came long after it was all over.

Fights can happen, but if you serve late drink, you need to be ready for them - have staff to keep control of things, not let people throw glass bottles across the room etc. They also need to keep better control of their door to keep late night trouble makers out. The Glasshouse fell down on this.

It would also be nice if their bistro served later than 9.30