“Great Stay”
Review of The Glasshouse

The Glasshouse
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed in The Glasshouse twice now. My boyfriend and I got a great deal on groupon and jumped at the chance. The hotel is very modern, the rooms are spacious and very comfortable. It's a great location in the middle of Sligo town. The breakfasts are fab, with a great variety of food to choose from. We ate in the bar one of the nights and really enjoyed our dinner. All in all a really enjoyable stay and would definately go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dee D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Glasshouse is in great location. The hotel is nice but breakfast was terrible. I have notice that this was mentioned in previous reviews too. Its really disappointing that they haven't improved it yet.

The cooked breakfast was cold and had been cooked for ages before hand. The scrambled eggs were solid. I notice that a lot people didn't finish their breakfast. What a waste of food. Its pity the chefs wouldn't look at reviews and improve breakfast.
The staff are friendly. There was a lot noise coming from the bar.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is located right in the center of Sligo and some rooms have a great view of the river. The staff were friendly and the rooms were clean, well equipped and comfortable. Sadly there are signs that the recession stopped the project short of 100% completion. The main bannister lacks the finishing handrail and the radiators in the room lacked thermostatic control. The manual rad wheel would not allow the heat to be turned off necessitating opening the window to release the heat. Not very environmentally friendly!
The wired internet was not working (in our two rooms) and there was no Wifi (in the rooms at least), this apparently is currently being rectified but if you are planning to work, phone ahead and check has this been done first.
We stayed Saturday night and as you might expect in a trendy city center hotel the bar was pretty packed and noisy. There was a very noisy diisco until at least 1am but it was barely audible from our rooms.
A final point! do we really need (noisy) TV all day in the bar?
Overall we liked it though and the rooms were great. The developers have put a lot of effort into design and they deserve to succeed, the staff are great.
A good hotel for a Sligo city stay. Younger visitors especially will love it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river. Also some rooms are much further from the busy reception a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My partner and I decided at the last minute to book a night at The Glasshouse for our anniversary and we're so glad we did. We were welcomed warmly at reception and we were checked in swiftly. Our room was lovely, really quirky and comfortable with a huge comfy bed and all the usual extras. We ate in the restaurant that night and the food was amazing. We both had steak which we ordered medium. It came out on the rare-medium side and was very pink. It didn't pose a problem to either of us as it was delicious and I'm now a convert to a rarer steak! Easily the best steak I've eaten, ever! The waiter we had was professional and friendly and his service was great. My only issue was that I wasn't offered the opportunity to taste the wine I ordered or view the bottle as it was just poured for me. It's nothing major, however, I'd like to have been offered the chance. We moved to the bar for a drink and the barman was lovely and friendly and chatted to us whilst serving our drinks. Our room was wonderfully quiet and the bed was super comfortable. It was a great stay in The Glasshouse and we will definitely be back again soon!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've stayed with the glasshouse on quite a few occassions now. I alway's have a pleasant stay, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are luxurious and the location is perfect and central. My only complaint would be the breakfast, it is alway's disappointing, it does not match the hotels high standards.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over looking the water, beautiful!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on New Years Eve with my partner and thought it one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. The building itself is quirky and brightly coloured, a sense of fun prevails in all areas. Every staff member I met was courteous, helpful and chatty, they couldn't do enough to help you. I had booked a double room on line but when I checked in we were given a deluxe room with a view of the Garavogue river. There were slippers and robes in our bathroom plus lots of toiletries and mineral water. The room was very spacious, with a king sized bed 26 inch plasma screen tv and very funky artwork. We ate in the hotel and the menu was varied and the food delicious. As it was NYE there was a brilliant local 8 piece band playing upstairs in the View bar. I loved this hotel and am already looking at dates to go back again !!!

1  Thank marymoonbeam
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times over the past 5 years (my most recent on 27.12.12). Rooms are comfortable and beautiful, the decor in the hotel is very unique (which makes it stand out from others) and the staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Lovely food in both restaurant and bar.
The hotel is surrounded by water and stunning views of the city centre. Definitely recommended to others!

Room Tip: All rooms are soundproof but would recommend requesting a room on the water side or with a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple