“The hotel has changed for the worse”
Review of The Glasshouse

The Glasshouse
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Newcastle
“The hotel has changed for the worse”
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I checked into the Glasshouse Hotel for a wedding during October having previously visited the hotel for a previous wedding during August. I didn't stay for the August wedding but decided to for this wedding and what a disaster. I stayed in the hotel with my partner for two nights and I will not return. The rooms are nice and clean but the decor is just off the wall. The staff do seem friendly but not correctly trained. The restaurant manager is most unfriendly and took forever to get us a table for our meal the day after the wedding. A lot of staff seemed to have changed since our original visit in particular the bar and restaurant.

The wedding itself was enjoyable with the food being delicious.The large dark haired woman from reception who seemed to be in the bar and restaurant more than the reception desk was very load and though she seemed friendly with her friends, when we went phoned reception to ask for some information on how to use the television she seemed not to have a clue about it and more or less said to figure it out for myself. My partner was most upset about this.

For our last day in the hotel, we went into the bar to watch some football on the television, when we arrived I noticed they didn't have Setanta Sports which the game was on. Being a Newcastle supporter I was eagar to watch my team in action and when I asked the bar staff why they didn't have this channel they said management refused to get it. I then noticed a lady coming down down the stairs into the bar, who I remembered was the manager Roisin who was present at the previous wedding; while she seemed friendly with the guests she seemed to bully the staff, by throwing them dirty looks and giving out about everytihing. If she seems to think eberything is so wrong I think she should do it herself instead of giving out as much as she did.

I believe I'll be back in Sligo before Christmas, and will NOT stay in The Glasshouse Hotel as it seemes to be getting worse and worse.

• Liked — Looking forward to it
  • Disliked — Everything especially how much it has changed
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank GeordieFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Polish first
belfast
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We are just back from a great stay at the Glasshouse hotel, not only was it great value for money, it was also a very pleasant experience we have a beautiful view over the river and watched the swans swimming up a down the river. Food was great and was reasonably priced.The only negative i had with this hotel is when i booked it i asked if there was entertainment on and was told yes, but when we got there we were told they had no intertainment on, we went to a pub just up the street a bit from the hotel called Fiddler's Creek, it had a good atmosphere but was packed out. We used to stay and the Clarion in Sligo but i have to say i liked this hotel a little better as it was very central and it was also very retro, rooms are large, beds are massive and they are very comfy, i wouldnt hesistate coming back to this hotel, in fact i will look forward to it on my next break.
Traveller from Belfast

• Liked — funky rooms
  • Disliked — no entertainment
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank juls06
Belfast
Reviewed September 29, 2007

New modern hotel right in the centre of Sligo with free car parking...right beside a river...at a cheap enough cost of £86 for B&B for a double room!!!
Our room was fantastic...huge, great air conditioning, 4th floor with a fantastic view over the Garavogue River, flat screen telly, nice colours!!!
Didn't have dinner in the hotel...opted for some bar food in Fiddlers Creek opposite the hotel...only bar I've been in where you don't seem to be able to order slightly differently to the set menu...nice food...but poor service for any fussy eaters out there!!!
Hotel's two bars were very busy on the Saturday night...so much so we couldn't get a seat...so headed off to Gurns City Bar just across the road for one...then on to the nightclub The Velvet Room...well run establishment that plays great chart music!!! Definitely would come back to Sligo just to go that club again!!!
Breakfast was dead-on...not busy at all!!!
Regarding the underground parking which was free...they seem to be having difficulties with the barriers...they were up whenever I arrived and left the hotel...I'm sure some local people use it to their advantage!!!
Probably the best hotel in Sligo due to it's location!!!

• Liked — View from my room
  • Disliked — Bars were very busy in the evening
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed September 10, 2007

What to say about the glasshouse? From the outside, a wonderful glass construction beside the river - a brave statement in a rural town in Ireland and we loved it. Beautiful swans by the boardwalk around the hotel and the sound of rushing water - what's not to like? We thought the price for a double BandB was fine in relation to the type of accomodation. Free secure underground parking adjoining the hotel which is included in the price. nice! The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. There is a feeling of Andy Warhol meets Roy Lichtenstein meets The Fonz from the decor and fittings. We got no feeling that this place was making a serious statement but more a fun way to decorate a very modern building. The much commented upon carpets seemed to have been influenced by a Bridget Riley painting and we thought they were a great talking point. Funky art coved the walls. Room was also decorated in a similar fashion with large bed and good bathroom and A/C with bottled water supplied. I had booked on a travel website where there was no choice of room location so I rang the hotel a few days before arrival and asked if a river view was possible - "no problem" . We had dinner at a table watching the 17 swans glide down past us and we thought the food was good and not overpriced - and neither was the wine. Any down sides ? Two that would be easily solved. The dining chairs in the restaurant (and again at breakfast) were the single most uncomfortable, badly designed chairs we have ever encountered. Why try to re-invent the wheel? Breakfast was the usual badly run affair with toast not toasted (for us and everyone around us). Would be go back? Without a doubt - a great change from the fake antique mahogany wood and dark carpets and curtains used so much in new hotels nowadays. Just because of the chairs, we would dine out in one of the many restaurants in the town centre, but all in all, a great place to stay and good luck to them for taking a chance with such quirky design and fittings.

• Liked — design light and airy space
  • Disliked — horribkly uncomfortable dining room chairs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2007

I stayed at The Glasshouse recently along with a friend in 2 deluxe rooms. The building itself is quite dramatic for Sligo and the interior is quite impressive. The carpets are OTT so you'll either love them or hate them (they are very grubby so could do with a good shampoo!). Apart from the that the bar/lobby/reception look good. I liked the decor of my room (not as garish as the carpets) and the in-room amenities. I wouldn't have minded a mini-bar but there was 24 hour room service (I didn't order anything). I had a lovely view over the river. The room was large and clean and the bathroom was clean and the shower good. The front desk staff I encountered were all very friendly.
We had breakfast both mornings and found service friendly but a bit hit and miss - we had to wait ages for teas/coffees whilst there seemed to be tons of staff. I'm not a huge fan of breakfast buffets so will never rave about them. This one was similar to many others I've experienced.
Food in the restaurant was quite good but not brilliant. Service wasn't the best (friendly but not very polished).
After I left I discovered I probably left something in my safe. I am not certain but I e-mailed the hotel to check. After 4 days I e-mailed again and once again a week later. So after 3 messages I still have had no response. I've given up. It's a shame this lack of basic customer service has soured an otherwise quite enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank fjc
galway
Reviewed September 6, 2007

I wrote a rave review about this hotel earlier in the summer. I thought it was so nice we'd stay again. However, we quickly changed our minds. The hotel was fine not so sure about all the staff-not so helpful. For example, we went down to the restaurant for breakfast but the hot food was so long coming out that we couldn't wait any longer and had to leave. The not-very-happy-looking staff didn't entice us to stay, either-I felt like we were keeping them away from something much more important. There was other things that also contributed..............anyway, we won't be going back again-would have to agree with the other reviewer-would rather stay in a B&B next time!

• Liked — room was fine
  • Disliked — unhappy unhelpful staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tinyc82
dublin
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Sorry about delay in writing this review. I actually wrote to the hotel (on the 14th August)with my complaints but still no one has bothered to reply. Our experience was terrible from check-in... we arrived early (1.00) but was told we would be contacted within an hour ... 2.5 hours later no one called us.. went for a bite to eat in their bar while waiting.. waited 45 minutes for Soup... then overcharged by €21....
We decided to upgrade our room eventually when we could check in... Do not do this as there is NO difference in rooms.... We were given 2 single beds.. made separately...
Could not use the bathroom due to the smell of sewerage coming up form the toilet. (had to brush our teeth outside the bathroom).
When checking out I brought all the above to the attention of staff, and was told that there was practically no difference in the upgrades.. but I was still charged.. also they informed me that "it was a constant problem" the smell of swerage as it is beside the river - this is not acceptable.
As I have said I had written to thte hotel and not reply from them.. not very good customer service..
I must say the actual building and decor of hotel is great, pity about the rest and management..
We were totally overcharged for what we got..
Stay somewhere else