Review Highlights
Fantastic, with a bit of a walk

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
TripAway7
Dublin, Ireland
Prepare To Hike, and Marvel!

Reviewed September 15, 2018
Steveage
Rexburg, Idaho

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Sligo
All reviews passage tombs follow the signs lane road great walk left turn entire area take your time hiking boots walk up megalithic cemetery parking area views are spectacular well worth the trip sheep vehicle track castlebaldwin
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wonderful neolithic site that you are likely to share with few other people. Follow the signs, and park at the gate (space for 2 cars) or open (and close) the gate and park at the top of the hill. The signs say it is a 1 km walk from here, seemed a bit longer, but it's an easy walk on a wide track. When you get to the sign indicating no camping, pedestrians only, turn right and climb the hill. This isn't obvious because you can't immediately see the cairns, and the track keeps going. There are 4 passage cairns within an easy walk, and others further away. Read websites before you go (or go with a guide). You can enter some of them. No carvings, but great corbelled roof on one. Wonderful views. Please discourage others from climbing! Close to the history trail.

Reviewed September 15, 2018

I love this place. My fear is, with reviews like this one, publicizing it, it could turn into a tourist trap. Right now, it's the opposite of a tourist trap. The roads are skinny and "squirrelly" to get here. Then once you arrive you're not sure where to park. We did go through the first gate and park at the first left hand turn you can make on the dirt road. Hiking from, here on an inclining road to the tombs, took us about an hour. Lamb and sheep are everywhere. No one is here monitoring you, no one is taking your money, we walked up when it was raining pretty hard, so only saw about 20 on our entire excursion in early June. It is just purely magical. That's all I can say. To think, you can crawl in tombs that have been there for over 5,000 years, remains of cremated bodies, tools, instruments have only been recently excavated and removed. To me, the rain only made it more spectacular. Go, leave it as it was when you came. Who knows, maybe you'll see a magical creature peaking at you as you investigate ancient tombs.

Reviewed August 11, 2018

A lovely drive along peaceful backroad's, drive through gate as parking area a littlemail further along road, you have the option to park at the end of the tarmac road and walk the trail or continue driving up the rough trail if you have a robust vehicle or are not inclined to exercise and park within a few minutes walk of the lower tombs, access to these is still possible, lovely views, don't forget your kettle and stove for a lovely cup of tea on the hill side whilst surveying the surrounding the vista

Reviewed July 17, 2018

It is certainly worth the drive to walk through these amazing passage tombs/cairns on the top of a ridge overlooking the valley. I followed the GPS on my smartphone which took us to the first shut gate. While we parked there and enjoyed the mile walk up to the end of the road you can open the gate and drive to a small parking lot next to a sign which forbids driving further. After the parking lot you walk along the lower road and swing up to a ridge, down and back up again. Before heading down into the farmland below look for a steep path on the right. Follow this to the top of the ridge where you will be able to see the three large cairns lined up. My experience at these cairns was the best of the trip as we were the only people there and the windswept ridge and the large cairns mixed with the view created an evocative atmosphere. It was fun to think back 5,000 years and contemplate what must have been transpiring. You can peer into the entry-ways and admire the passage tombs. I was satisfied with this and did not crawl further.

Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

We visit Carrowkeel multiple times a year. It’s a great walk with fantastic views. The history of the place is incredible and frankly not enough is made of it!

Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

Tricky enough to find , turn in castlebaldwin and follow brown signs. Last left turn is well hidden. A gate on the road to the little car park can be opened but must be secured again as there are lots of sheep on the mountains.
Park up , put on good walking boots and walk on the route to the burial ground ( it's not really but that's how it's described)
It's a great walk, a grand stretch and climb.
When you reach the first cairn with its stone rubble structure and lintelled entrance it is a step back through the mists of time.
More cairns are nearby and on adjacent mountains.
The view from the peak of 5 Irish counties is breathtaking
Strongly recommended

Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

About a 2km hike from the parking area. Bring hiking boots. Just follow the signs from Castlebaldwin.

Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

This was an amazing place! We went there on the 10th of June. My mum and I managed to get a local (Eugene, he’s awesome!) to bring us around and this was one of the highlights of our time in Sligo. We stopped at the first sign for a carpark before hiking up. We were the only ones there up till when we were going back down when a family was just starting out.

It’s a hike so do remember to wear covered shoes with a good grip. The day was a little foggy but that only led to the mystery of the area when we reached the top.

It was quite fascinating when our guide mentioned that the tombs’ entrance were all facing Queen Maeve’s tomb up on Benbulben. That was quite remarkable.

There are around 15 passage tombs up on Carrowkeel and the four or five we went were within walkable distance from one another. You could also climb into some of them. There was one in particular which looked like it had steps leading downwards. Very, very cool.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in a good hike and learning more about the passage tombs.

Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

Carrowkeel is a wonderful hilltop megalithic location. Drive up the narrow road, through the gate and park at the end of the tarmac. Walk from here 1.2km to the end Point where you leave the old bog / green road. It is then 450 meters of walking to the top cairn, and you’ll pass two other cairns as you make your way to the summit. You can enter the first cairn with care. Views on a clear day are magical.

Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

I did this walk with my mum a few weeks ago. I was blown away by the views. It's a decent walk and, with a little exploring included, I would say we spent about 3 hours up there. We were lucky with the weather but it was quite wet so would recommend wearing proper walking shoes and hiking gear. It's worth doing your research before you head up as there's very little signage or information. This is a real hidden gem, off the beaten track. We met very few people up there and it was so quiet and peaceful. The tombs themselves are in great condition, you can have a look around them and I climb in. For the most part there's not much of a path so you're going to have to find your own way up not too difficult when you're a good view of the cairns. We met a fella up there who knew his way around and showed us a sinkhole. It was great but no signage around it and quite dangerous so I wouldn't recommend doing the exploring yourself. I will definitely do this walk again.