“A one night stay”
Review of Sligo City Hotel

Sligo City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Just a one night stay & I was happy with my experience in the City Hotel. Secure parking in the gate controlled car park & no difficulty finding a space. I arrived at 1445 & my room was ready even though checking in was from 1500. Checking in was quick, into one of the 2 lifts & I was in my 1st floor, non smoking room in no time. Size wise it was ok, was clean & bright & the room temperature was perfect. With carpeted floor it had 2 single beds, luggage rack, dresser, large mirror, wardrobe, tv, trouser press, smoke alarm, tea/coffee & hairdryer. With mahogany effect furniture, the room didn’t feel very modern or contempory & the tv was in a strange position to the side of the beds when maybe, a wall mounted tv might be a better option. 2 windows so, no problem with natural light & no issue with noise from outside of the hotel. I did hear guests in the hallway outside of my room in the early hours but that lasted for just a moment & my impression was that it was 2 guests that had forgotten their room number. Other than that, sleep quality was good.
The bathroom was small with tiled floor & walls, bath, fixed head shower with very good pressure, shower curtain, shampoo, soap but no bodywash/shower gel, 1 bath towel, 1 hand towel & shaving socket.
I went for breakfast at 0930 & it was quiet with only one table occupied. Cereals, fruit slices, toast, brown bread, a very good full Irish fry, fruit juices, tea & coffee. I was happy with my breakfast even though I was told that the hotel was in the process of closing down for a week’s holiday & that things weren’t as organised as they would usually be.
A very good location in Sligo town centre, I would use the City Hotel again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Gaildorfblues
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Micdev
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Sligo City Hotel - We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us before our short period of closure at Christmas
We look forward to having you stay with us again the Hotel very soon

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We recently stayed in Sligo City Hotel while visiting Sligo, I choose the Hotel as it was central to everything. The receptionist was more than helpful & very friendly. Our room was clean, tidy & very homely. When checking out we had the pleasure of meeting the Manager Mr Canning, a true Gentleman. I will without doubt return to Sligo City Hotel for a Warm, Friendly & Relaxing atmosphere. Keep up the good work all ...look forward to my next trip. Kat :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathrina M
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Kat
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your stay with us.
We appreciate you choosing the Sligo City Hotel to stay in and we are delighted that your stay with us at the Hotel was so enjoyable
We look forward to having you stay with us again soon

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed here on a week night while working in Sligo. It was perfect for my needs.
Check in was fast and very friendly. The room was a good size with two single beds and the en suite was a good size too.
Bed was comfortable and I had a good nights sleep but at breakfast the next morning I was talking to another guest who stayed in room number 116 and said he was awake every hour with the noise of a bell in the local church or town hall going off.
In saying that I stayed in the room across from him and did'nt hear anything.
Breakfast was very good and was served very quickly with friendly service.
Hotel is centrally located and good value for money. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Mazuno1
We are delighted that your stay with us at the Hotel was so enjoyable.
I am not sure who the guest was who made reference to you about not getting a good nights sleep - I don't have a record of any guest bringing this to our attention at this time.
We look forward to having you stay with us again soon

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We reserved two rooms, one double and one twin. Both were a good size, beds were nice. Staff was very helpful, changed 2nd room upon request to be beside of each other without problems. Hot shower and plenty of towels, shower gel, shampoo, soap, coffee, tea...

Only stayed for a night but it was perfect for us as it was in the city center, great pubs around. Parking was full so we had to leave the cars in front of the hotel. Good experience all together.

Room Tip: Room 215 has a great view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tinkerbell
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Sligo City Hotel - We are delighted you and your friends enjoyed your break with us.
We really hope that you stay with us again soon

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed in Sligo City hotel for 1 night as I was meeting friends, as a regular visitor to Sligo I picked this hotel because of its central location. It was not what I expected on walking in the door I was meet with a foul smell of alcohol, I then checked in which was quick but when I headed up to room it was quiet small and had only double single and sofa bed, I had booked a family room which I confirmed on booking was a room with double and 2 singles as it was for 4 adults, I also ran the day before check in to confirm room. This room was tiny with extremely poor lighting really old fashioned in decor etc. We got ready and to head out and when leaving hotel we were meet with a crowd of quiet drunk lads standing outside the door. After a long night out we returned and seen the residents bar was full of loud noise people and the bar didn’t even have any snack peanuts, crisps chocolate or anything. We went up to our room for what we hope would be a good night’s sleep but unfortately a bell from the town hall rung every hour which kept us awake so if staying in this hotel forget about sleep. Check out was quick and fast but won’t be staying here again,

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank lorri25
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Lorri
I am very sorry that you had a disappointing stay with us, I have no records of any such complaints made to us. Please contact me directly so that I can investigate into the issues you had. I look forward to hearing from you.
071 91 44000 - gm@sligocityhotel.com

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Loved the central location of this hotel. All staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was great and good value for money. I look forward to visiting Sligo again and to using this hotel again I hope.

• Stayed: September 2013
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Galway 96
Trevor Canning - General Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Hay All!

I drove my backside from my beloved CORK up to the Westport Festival at the end of July for live music & camping followed by a tour of the Mayo & Sligo coast for a few days of solo surfing.
I treated myself on my mini-break to a 2 night stay in the Sligo City Hotel (2nd & 3rd of July). It was blissful & well deserved after roughing it for a few days. The staff were so nice & down to earth. Very warming reception & found every one of them chatty, accommodating & helpful.

I used the hotel as a handy base so i could walk the city & have a few jars at night & head off exploring & surfing during the day. Gr8 location.

The room was perfect for me & i enjoyed two really good nights sleep which was needed. Walloped the breakie in the mornings & went off on my adventures for the day. I even treated myself to some fine dining on my last night in their Quays Restaurant. Yum.

Tapping into the wi-fi was very handy for me too so i could catch up on the rest of the world. I had my van with me wit all my gear & was relieved to know that parking was not an issue so i felt secure.

Sligo is a gr8 wee city. Have been up there plenty of times over the years. Stunning scenery & mega surf. Lots to do & see.

I would recommend a kip at the Sligo City Hotel if your planning to spend any time in Sligo.

Im fairly relaxed & it ticked all my boxes for what i expect from a hotel for the money i paid i consider it very good value.

Hope you have a similar experience. Just wish i had someone with me but the staff were good company & tuned into the fact that i was solo. Very impressed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Patrick
Thank you for your positive comments following your stay with us - All the team here @ Sligo City Hotel were delighted to see you had an enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again soon if you are attending another Festival or taking advantage of the Surfing at the local beaches here
Trevor Canning - General Manager