“Terrible Experience”

Sligo Southern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My sister and her husband were looking forward to spending their 30th Wedding Anniversary at this hotel I telephone Reception and gave instructions to a female staff member to arrange a few drinks as a toast from me at their Dinner table on 1st Evening seeing that was the actual Wedding Anniversary gave her my Credit Card details and my mobile no and instructed her to text me with amount that this Cost. (Simple instruction) /////////////// anyway she preceed to tell me who else was giving Champagne this did not bother me not my business. Anyway instruction not followed through and this destroyed the whole experience I had to make several telephone calls to remind staff to carry out instructions but a lass never happened. Please train your staff.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Eilish H
BWSligo, Director of Sales at Sligo Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Eilish H,

Thank you for your feedback, our manageress has been in contact with you directly, to apoligise for the inconvenience caused by the miscommunication of our staff. We take pride in providing high level of services and we understand that we failed on this occassion, we do apoligise and can assure you that this is unusual.

We have set procedures in place to ensure that this does not happen again

Kindest regards
T.Henry

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a 2 night stay very recently. The only plus I could say for this hotel is that it is next door to the railway station.......... If you read between the lines, not necessarily a plus!!!!!!!!!!!! as we drove there. From what we experienced this hotel is run on a very tight budget. We were there for a purpose so we did not consider this as a nice hotel getaway. I would have to say that the bar food served during the day was absolutely awful. No hot food available, not that we necessarily wanted it. Room was below basic. Suitable for students or backpackers. Budget accomadation at over budget prices.

Room Tip: The best advice I could give in relation to rooms would be to book a room in some other hotel. It w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
BWSligo, Director of Sales at Sligo Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Bernie M,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We offer a bar lunch menu until 2.30pm daily and our evening grill menu is available from 6pm, A full snack menu is available throughout the day which includes a selection of freshly made sandwiches included toasted with a variety of fillings to choose from, homemade soup freshly made each day and served with wheaten bread or oven baked bread roll. We also offer a selection of deserts, cakes, danish pastries and muffins, plus a selection of gourmet coffees and a large selection of teas.

We have uploaded images of our bar menus.

We have also uploaded an image of the bedroom which we feel does not lend itself to being compared to a hostel.

We are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay and have checked with our reception staff and no feedback was given on departure, if you would like to contact us directly to discuss your feedback please do not hesitate as we value our guests review

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here over March bank holiday weekend 2014 - was a last minute booking - we regularly visit Sligo due to family living there and have stayed in most of the hotels at this stage - to be honest I wasnt expecting much when we booked but I was pleasantly surprised on check in - beautiful lobby with fires lighting and big cosy couches - we booked a delux double and found it to be a very large spacious airy room - bed was extremely comfortable and extra pillows in wardrobe were great - bathroom sold it for me large walk in shower and huge jaccuzi bath - staff especially housekeeping were very friendly and helpful - hotels proximity to town is less than 5 min walk which was excellent - it does have a pool which while on the small side was very clean and suited us perfectly - we didnt have breakfast included but ate here on our last morning - while buffett selection is small for continental what was there was very good - there were unfortunately a few points that let it down - we ate in the bar on the 1st night and the food was a massive let down - over cooked chicken for my hubby and undercooked batter on fish for me - definitely not worth what we paid - my only other down point was there should be a blind on the bathroom window as even with the net curtain with lights on you could see right in - verified on a walk home from the pub!! Overall a lovely stay and would stay here again when we go back to Sligo!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
BWSligo, Director of Sales at Sligo Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you crazy4travelcouple for taking the time to give us your feedback, we really appreciate it and it assists us in improving the service we provide. The BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel & Leisure Centre takes pride in providing guests with a home away from home, and are truly disappointed that you didn't enjoy your meal in our bar, we are addressing the issues you raised. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Best Western Sligo Southern Hotel is centrally located and within 5 minute walking distance to the centre of Sligo town. The rooms are a bit dated but this is more than made up for by the friendly and attentive staff especially the helpful girl on reception who gave us excellent recommendations for a day trip such as a drive to Rosses Point which was beautiful and also to Strandhill beach that was also well worth the short drive. No complaints either regarding the hotel breakfast although the bar food was fairly basic and a bit overpriced for what I got e.g. Cod and chips at €14.00.
Overall, I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Best Western for a break in Sligo.
ps. If you're in Strandhill, drop into the Strand resaurant for a snack as its reasonably priced and very tasty.

Room Tip: Turn off the radiator at night as the room can get very warm.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
BWSligo, Director of Sales at Sligo Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate the feedback. The BEST WESTERN Sligo Southern Hotel with its old world feel, takes pleasure in ensuring all our guests enjoy their stay with us

Reviewed March 7, 2014

My partner and I stayed there on a Groupon deal for 3 nights. The first room we were allocated had no internet and right away we were moved to another room. The hotel is very close to the town center, right next to a bus and train station, so no matter how you travel it is very easy to get to. The rooms were clean, however there were a few eye sores. In the first room the shower curtain could have done with a new one; in the second room there was damp on the wall and badly rusted pole in the bathroom. If you can look beyond this you are for a great stay. The food in the bar and restaurant was very good and reasonably priced. If there were any shortcomings, the staff made up for it. I can't praise them highly enough - the best asset this hotel has.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sasy_smile
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Stopped over for 3 nights on a Groupon short break deal. Very nice Hotel built in 1928, meaning it has plenty of character about it but with all the modern amenities expected in a good hotel. The staff are very friendly and attentive. The hotel has an excellent gym, swimming pool, sauna and steam room. Our room was nice if a little small, there was a bit of a lack of storage space, though adequate for a short stay. The breakfasts were excellent, we had one satisfactory evening meal as part of the deal. The Hotel is well situated, less than a 5 minute walk to the centre of Sligo. All in all a very pleasant break and we would definitely return.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my boyfriend at the weekend. And aside from a bad hangover it was fantastic. As me and my boyfriend were younger we wanted a more lively nightlife which the hotel staff were very helpful with although we did not have to leave the hotel bar to late as entertainment was fantastic. I, myself work in the catering buisness and was very impressed with both the bar and restraunt food. Staff were both fantastic. Was a great stay! Room was massive and clean! Could definately have stayed longer. I would strongly reccommend it to anyone!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple