“Great for the races”

Sligo Southern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed her for the night for the races and we may have only slept here but the rooms were lovely, like old Victorian is the way I would describe it. Staff were great rang us a taxi to get to the races and had no problem checking in or out. Will stay here again when in Sligo.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJ1JMG1

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Another one night stay on our traipse around Ireland. The best bit about this hotel is the pool/spa. It is well located for a wander through town too. We were with a group and took dinner at the hotel - The soup was really good, and, only 2 of the 3 of our table ordered it. After a taste, our third member wished to partake of his own bowl. We politely asked the waitress, and we were told "NO!" - Seriously? You can't bring a cup of soup? Then we asked if we could BUY a cup of soup and the answer was, "No, you only get three courses." Well, okay, can we skip the dessert? "No."
Oy.
Anyway, the room was okay - a little the worse for wear, but, okay for one night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank itchyfeetRTW
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I've done a fair amount of traveling. Not a whole lot, but enough to be able to compare.. Being from New York, I am probably a little fussier than some... But I'm no princess. Don't have the funds for that... I booked this hotel on the train on my way into Sligo from Dublin. One of the best perks is that it is literally next door to both the Bus and Train stations. So, if you're like me, and want to dash to make a bus or train elsewhere this is pretty handy. ALL the staff were lovely. Could not say enough about them. I was initially obsessing about the room I was given as, although it had an actual view of Ben Bulben, I thought the trains below would be noisy. Anya, at reception assured me that this was not the case, AND she allowed me to look at another room, anyway. She was right, (of course) but I love that she deferred to me to figure this out. I did not eat at the hotel, or use the pool/gym, but the atmosphere was warm, lively, and charming. Though I was traveling alone, and on a bit of a sad errand,
I never felt estranged or lonely there. In fact there were plenty of people on my floor, but none of them were rude, rowdy, or inconsiderate. This is not a five star hotel. It is more relaxed than that. Which I liked. The room was clean, well set-up, warm, spacious, pretty, and functional. The shower was both hot, and powerful. Everything worked. Like I said; no surprises.
And again, the staff were ALL wonderful.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank TerribleBeauty
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Having been here before and had a fairly decent carvery lunch we decided to call on 30/12/13. The soup was so salty as to be almost inedable and the roast of the day was supposedly roast beef. It was vary tough and chewy. The whole plate was covered in a thick glutinous gravy which stuck to the plate. Sorry guys we wont be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank katiemary23
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Good location - a few minutes walk from the city centre. Very friendly reception staff. Plenty of car parking. Room that we got was bit but somewhat 'dated'.. Nice entrance - outside stairway - and hall way.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Really warm and comfortable hotel with multiple coal and gas fires in the lobby and bar which created a very homie ambiance. The Victorian decor also added a particular elegance and an authentic feel to the hotel.
The room was as to be expected with no unpleasant surprises, modern and reasonably spacious. However the bed was a little too soft and felt u even at night, the pillows were very uncomfortable and constantly required fluffing throughout the night.
The room was also very warm, even with the window open and radiator turned down, at night the room was very stuffy and dry.
The restaurant was just like any other hotel restaurant, basic layout and basic menu.
The portion of the starter chicken wings (5 in total) was very disappointing, for €7 I feel the portion was very small.
The sirloin steak dinner was much better though, with a fairly late portion of veg, mash and chips. Although, I was slightly taken back when the waiter brought my (medium steak) and mentioned that the "Chef said if it wasn't cooked enough he can put it back on". Unfortunately once I cut into the steak it was closer I well done on the inside than medium. However, taking into consideration the reasonable price and large portions, this can be forgiven as the steak was quite tasty.
Over all experience for the hotel would probably be 6.5-7/10.
Would definitely recommend to a friend, and would stay there again however I would probably bring my own pillow and eat out.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob-P-D-22
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Great Hotel, Food & Staff terrific
Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a short break
Enjoyable Pool & Spa, Centrally located for Shops & Pubs, great entertainment