“Good location, bad rooms”

Sligo Southern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here one night with a tour group. Upon check-in we were given the key and a remote control to the television. Strangely everyone was handed a different model of remote control as the group checked in. Once in the room, the remote control didn't do anything at all to turn on the tiny TV. The batteries were held in by tape and I didn't have much energy to try to get it to work. The room was fine, clean and quiet. The bathroom was weird, with strange proportions and the toilet did not want to flush. Other travelers tell me my room was on the large side, with some bathrooms the size of broom closets.

The staff was wonderful and dinner and breakfast were great. The location is also nice if you are interested in walking into town.

1  Thank T-Train205

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Room was clean, although it could use some renovation; We had dinner at the restaurant which had slow service. It's a 5-10 minute walk into town. The breakfast was fine with the usual items in an Irish breakfast. No fridge, no fitness center. Wi-fi available.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mukhi
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Recently stayed at the best western Sligo with some friends on a flying tour of the North West.

Hotel - OK 3 star hotel just on the outskirt of the town which is 5 min walk to O'Connell Street.
Breakfast - OK however some items such as fried & scrambled eggs not available. The hotel was fully booked due to the races and it was the 9.30am rush however this could have been anticipated..
Rooms - OK , clean, quiet and what you would expect for a 3 star.
Bar - Fine, not a bad pint
Reception - Very good, the girls were polite and even enjoyed a joke or two with us, very good humoured !

OK Hotel and reasonable value in a town which doesn't have alot of Hotels and can get booked out frequently.

I would stay again if my regular 4 star choice ( Radisson or Glass Hse ) wasn't available.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paddy172
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My partner and I booked the hotel online at very short notice as we decided to get away from the flag burners in East Belfast over the 12th. We weren't expecting much - always being a bit cynical about the pictures you see on the websites, but happily it seemed to live up to our expectations and exceed them in some areas.

Upon our arrival we were swiftly and cheerfully checked in by a very pleasant young woman - young Central European people could really teach our youth a few things about manners and politeness!! She made sure we knew where everything was and how to get to our room.

The room was at the back of the hotel, so no view but there aren't really any views from the front and it did mean that it was always very quiet. The room was large with most of the modern convieniences you would expect to get; tv, hairdryer, full length mirror, etc. The bathroom was similarly spacious and well appointed - a powerful shower with plenty of hot water and lovely towels. The bathroom was very clean though a bit knocked round the edges - to be expected considering how many people use the room. All in all the room was not a disappointment and in fact I slept better there than at home, which is unusual for me.

The public parts of the hotel are lovely. We enjoyed sitting in the huge over-stuffed sofa in the spacious lounges and felt quite grand indeed sitting there having coffee in the evening! The bar seemed very popular but we didn't really use it except to get coffee and delicious cakes. The poor barman in there on one night seemed overwhelmed and forgot to give me all of my order but a polite reminder from me and a laugh from both of us sorted it out - why do people have to be so aggressive and rude to customer service people? They are himan like us after all!

The pool was wonderful and a real treat - staff there were great too - very friendly and happy to help but at the same not too over familiar.

We slept in too late to get breakfast so cannot comment on that but there are plenty of places in Sligo to eat and we were there to see the sights anyway.

All in all a great stay and we will return. The staff were amazing - always happy and seemingly interested in what we had to say. I think that any hotel rises and falls depending on the staff they employ and Best Western Sligo have got it right.

My only criticism would be that I think they should close the doors which communicate through to the bar as music from there bled through to the lounges. A small point really.

1  Thank Cregaghbear
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here for one night and to be honest I'm glad it was only one night. The hotel is very dated inside and out and the rooms are in definite need of an upgrade. The decor is very old fashioned and the rooms are not that spacious. The location of the hotel was one of the reasons we booked as it was a nice short walk into Sligo town centre. But the other reason we booked was to make use of the hotel leisure facilities and I have to say this disappointed me most. They do not look like they do in the photos and it is definitely another area of the hotel which needs upgrading.
Overall a pleasant enough stay but very basic.

1  Thank Sheena M
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here in June of a weekend with a large group to play golf locally. The hotel is located within walking distance of the town centre allbeit on the limit of a short walk especially if its cold or wet. The hotel is quite dated although the main reception are is quite modern. The bedroom was larger than your average room and the decor a bit old fashioned however it was a very comfortable room. There is a large bar which has lots of cubbie holes, nooks and crannies. Food is served in the bar however I would consider that it is a little over priced and not as good as you might get elsewhere. Breakfast was standard, nothing to write home about but not bad. The staff were friendly. Overall the hotel is fine we were well looked after and we had a good time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My mum and I stayed at this hotel as part of a Groupon deal and to be honest we weren't really expecting much as we paid a ridiculously low price for a 3 night stay with breakfast and an evening meal on one night. Got to the hotel and was initially wowed by the decor inside and impressed with the cosy and friendly atmosphere provided by a warm, hearty fire and lovely, attentive staff. We were led to our double room which was very spacious with old style locks on the doors and oldish furniture. Bed was comfy, had plenty of chillout space, some would say that the room needed to be refurbished but I liked the vintagy, 'old Ireland' feel about the place. On further inspection you start to notice that the hotel in general might need a wee spruce up or a lick of paint, but I personally don't mind the lived in feel - gives a place more character and a nice change from polished, marble surfaces and sleek minimalist settings. Breakfast was great, food for dinner was fine, but I would highly recommend walking a short distance to a pub 3 mins away for a proper feed. It's just across the main road from the hotel as if you're walking towards Sligo town centre. Cross at the lights and it's on the corner - great seafood pie and DELICIOUS homemade loafs for starter!

Sligo itself is great for a wee weekender - shopping, drinking, eating. Sligo Southern Hotel is great for a welcoming stay especially if you get a good deal.

Comfy bed - good nights sleep
Great staff
Good breakfast in the morning
Dinner in restaurant was lovely
Location great - beside bus stop, short walk from all the shops
Clean hotel - has an oldish feel to it
Didn't check out the swimming pool

At the end of the day my mum and I had a fantastic stay here. When any deals come up we'll definitely be heading back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family