“Cosy Hotel in the City Centre”

Sligo Southern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Went to the hotel for a weekend break. We were allocated a third floor front room. It appeared to be recently decorated and the designer had did a good job. It had all the normal modern hotel facilities, flat screen TV and a nice bright clean ensuite. Being an older building, the walls were proper solid ones and the beds were very comfortable. As I live in a very quite spot, I found the road noise at night a bit annoying but the receptionist offered a swop to a larger family suite in the newer rear extension. This was much quieter, although the walls lacked the soundproofing of the older solid brick front building.
We just ate breakfast in the hotel which was served in the dining room at the bottom of the building. To access it, you either took a narrow staircase or a small elevator. There was a reasonable selection of hot and cold foods to satisfy most. The bar area is beginning to show it's age, I'd last stayed ten years ago and it hadn't changed. I found the bar staff, although young and willing, totally inexperienced. When I asked for a brandy it was served in a half pint beer glass and I had to request an alternative. Similarly I noticed the irish coffees were served very milky. The Saturday night's entertainment act failed to show, yet no effort was made to even introduce some background music and dim the lights to improve the atmosphere.
The reception staff were very nice and the lady from Mayo who was managing that weekend, was both friendly and efficient. The hotel has a warm inviting feeling and I certainly would return. It is let down by the ground floor entrance which needs a makeover or reconfigured to divert the overpowering smell of chlorine from the leisure complex and to spruce up the bar/lounge areas.
The location is excellent. It's only a few minutes walk into the town centre which has a great choice of bars and other places to eat. Take the tourist walk around the town and visit the many historic attractions. If you turn right when you leave the hotel, it's a short drive to Strandhill which also boasts many great pubs and restaurants. We found both the Strand and the Venue pubs great places. If you visit the later at sunset, you'll get a fantastic treat. But then there's Ross's Point, Yeats Grave, Glencarr Waterfall, The Isle of Innisfree and the Old Mill Waterfalls at Collooney. There's lots of interesting places right on the hotel doorstep or a short car ride away. I'll certainly be making another visit to that region.

Room Tip: The old hotel block is solid and the rooms are comfortable. But if you don't like any traffic no...

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We found this hotel to be very comfortable ,warm and clean and the staff to be friendly and helpful. The room we were allocated on arrival was on the top floor at the front- my partner had difficulty sleeping due to the road noise and the following morning there was no problem getting moved to a room at the back of the hotel . Both rooms were very comfortably furnished , had heavy lined curtains which kept out the early morning light- had a grab rail at the shower end of the bath and effective down- lights at both the mirror in the bathrooms and the mirror at the dressing tables ( great for make-up and a rarity in hotels). Both rooms were spotlessly clean and had the most amazing soft mattresses .There were mattress and pillow protectors on both beds. Both rooms were spacious- the second even bigger than the first with a sofa at one end. The staff were very friendly and helpful- especially the reception staff - however some of the bar staff are inexperienced and could do with some training. There seemed to be an on-going programme of re-decoration -which was good to see and in no way detracted from our enjoyment of our stay. Breakfast was self -service with a good variety of cereals/juices/chopped fruit and hot good quality breakfast items .The only negative really was the lifts- they are very old and could do with being replaced. All in all one of the cleanest and most comfortable hotels we have stayed in.
Sligo is a lovely town and this hotel is only a 10 min. walk away from the centre and right next door to the bus terminal . Strandhill is great too - great food in both The Strand and The Venue. we look forward to going back to this hotel and tryin some of the other restaurants in the area. Have booked a stay in the sister hotel in Ballina- The Ballina Manor- if it is as good we will be well pleased.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you- ask for a room at the back.
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Went with a tour group around Ireland. Stayed in six different hotels, but this is the only one that I would never stay in again. Had no problem with the age, appearance, or cleanliness of the facility. The problem was with the lack of heat in my room (as well as the rooms of several other members of the group), compounded by the rudness and attitude of the staff. I could accept the fact that the staff turns the heat on and off on set cycles. However, when i asked the young lady at the desk why my radiator wasn't working, I was informed, quite rudely on 3 different occasions (beginning at 5PM) that it was working and it was just cycling off. It was only after I met a local girl who was staying in the next room, who went downstairs with me to tell the desk clerk that my heat was, indeed, not working, that they agreed to send someone upstairs to look at it. ( I also had to make 3 more phone calls after this before they came.) It turns out that my radiator was, indeed, broken--even though they had kept implying that I just didn't understand how their heating system worked. at 10:30 p.m., I finally had heat in my room.
This was not a pleasant experience, and I have had to stretch this rating to even give this facility a 2 as opposed to a 1. We stayed in another hotel that was even older than this one; but when I asked if they would come check my radiator (which was turned off), the staff was polite, and they were there within 10 minutes. Because of this I would never give this other facility a negative review. .
All I really require in a hotel are clean sheets, heat, and a staff response if there is a problem. With this hotel, I only got 1 out of 3. The sheets were clean.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Buttercup62
Reviewed April 29, 2012

It's really close to the city center where you can go on foot, leaving your car in the free parking. The hotel looks beautiful from outside, but not inside: it's very old and needs a serious refurbishment. To reach our room we had a long way through a lot of stairs with our baggages. The room was large, but the mattress was too soft, sheets were not so clean, drain wasn't working well.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank albus09
Reviewed April 28, 2012

If you need to catch an Eireann bus early in the morning or if you arrive late at night by bus, this hotel is for you! Right next to the station! The room I had was OK. It could have been a bit larger thus, but still OK. The breakfast was OK, but not the finest I had in Ireland, but prices were reasonable thus.

My only complain would be about the time it took to have hot water in the shower, in the morning. It took 5 minutes, which may sound like nothing but when waiting under the shower, it is a bit long, especially if you are in a hurry. Especially when the weather requires hot water…

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We picked the hotel mainly for its good central location and it ticks all boxes. No problem getting into/out of Sligo and town centre is only 10mins walking distance away. Free parking was also a bonus.
Reception staff were very friendly. Unfortunately we ended up with room 307 - right opposite the ancient lift which was the noisiest lift I have ever heard. We tried to swop rooms but due to it being Easter no other rooms were available. The lift kept us awake for quite some time and also woke us up early in the morning as it really is from another era so do try to request a room far away from the lift.
The bathroom also is in need of TLC - the toilet seat in particular appeared to be ''mouldy'' and could do with a general upgrade. We didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on breakfast or dinner. There are plenty of pubs/restaurant in walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift
1  Thank Kinedi
Reviewed April 15, 2012

A nice hotel in need of refurbishment. The tiny lift gave up the ghost during our stay which meant hauling suitcases up and down stairs. Wi-fi works only spasmodically. Not a highlight of our Irish tour.

1  Thank Peter D