“Awful area,hostel very basic!”
Review of The Harbour House

and 1 more site!
The Harbour House
Ranked #19 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Sligo
Delphi,Greece
“Awful area,hostel very basic!”
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I took a leaflet for this hostel from a stand with relevant information in an other hostel in Doolin. Due to a last minute chance of plans, I arrived in Sligo without a booking and decided to stay there for one night. I was outside the hostel about 11.45 am, and no one was around. A girl staying there explained me on her way out that there was no staff in the hostel till 2pm. I called the mobile phone written on the leaflet,and the guy (I think the owner) came in about 10 minutes and checked me in a 4 bed dorm on the first floor (I have the impression all rooms are 4 bed dorms). There is only one shower and toilet on the floor,and toilet/shower are in the same area,so quite disfunctional if hostel is busy. My room was quite clean, bed was confortable, but it was small, and there are no left luggage facilities in the hostel.2 Australian girls shared the room with me, and we couldn't move around because of our luggages. We were not given any keys for the room, just the code for the main entrance. I faced the same practice in another hostel,and I find it completely unacceptable as far as there is no staff around 24 hours per day. There is no staff on duty during night, and most of the hours of the day, so I don't think hostel is safe, as someone could pass the entrance code to whoever, who could enter the rooms. An other guest,theef or drunk or whatever, could have enter my room too. I got the feeling that staff/owner just cares to take the money without offer any real service. I had to ask for everything (map of town etc), a computer supposed to offer free internet was ancient, slow,and wouldn't open most of websites, there is no breakfast included in the price,public areas are old-fashion, no effort to make the place feel wellcoming... Hostel is situated in a dark,ungly, industrialised area. I didn't stay there long, and luckily I didn't face any problems,as it was a quiet weekday, but I don't think I'll ever be back...

• Liked — Nothing to be honest...
  • Disliked — Staff attitude,location, crap internet...
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank mariha2912

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Portland
Reviewed September 20, 2007

One cannot emphasize enough the industrial setting of this Hostel. But once you get past that, the rooms are really very nice. Probably the nicest bathroom of the Hostels we stayed in.
The kitchen isn't too impressive but the sitting room is nice.
The girl manning the front desk was very nice.
We have the misfortune of being next to a room full of German girls who found each other hilarious late at night. A little knocking on the walls but that to rights. You really can't hang that one on the Hostel though.
Parking was on the street and I guess we lucked out and got a space close by. In all it's a nice budget place in a built up neighborhood.

• Liked — The bathroom
  • Disliked — The guests next door
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yogidon
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Stayed here as part of a group of 28 on a stag night and, while it served a purpose as somewhere to put our heads down for the night, there were few other positives to be taken away from the experience.

When we first arrived at the hostel in the early afternoon, we appeared to be locked out, though we were eventually let in after about half an hour.
Our initial impression wasn't great, as the area is far from spectacular and an old, dilapidated factory overlooked the rear of the hostel - hardly a breathtaking view.
There then seemed to be an issue with one of the rooms we had booked, in that it was already occupied.
When we did get checked in, we left to go into town - a 15 minute walk. As mentioned in another review, this walk did for the most part consist of a dimly lit road with an industrial feel to it.
On our return, we were informed by the owner/manager that he had been through all our rooms and removed any trace of alcohol. Even as one of three teetotallers in the group, I felt this was overstepping the mark. I had no problem at all with a ban on alcohol consumption on the premises, but to actually go into our rooms, and then our luggage ( - more than one of the group had bottles/cans removed from their bags) was quite simply an outrageous invasion of our privacy, the legality of which one would seriously have to question.
The majority of us managed a decent night's sleep, in reasonably comfortable accommodation, though there was one complaint regarding the hygiene, or lack, in relation to one of the beds, which didn't appear to have been cleaned before it was made.

Given that we stayed here as a group who's priority was cheap, comfortable accommodation, the property met those criteria reasonably well. However, the biggest issue we had was the owner/manager. As a group of young men on a stag weekend, I can appreciate the preconceptions involved, but the group were very well behaved, those less sober being kept well in line by those of us not drinking. His attitude toward us was almost constantly hostile, and he most certainly did not project the demeanour of someone in the business for the love of it.

• Liked — Reasonably cheap
  • Disliked — Attitude of owner/manager
  • Stayed June 2007
4 Thank WatchingCartoons

Travelers are raving about these Sligo hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2004

My sister and I recently stayed at the Harbour House hostel in Sligo. We chose it mainly because it was low cost, but also because of it's location to the town and the building itself looked rather charming!
However, on arrival, we began to have second thoughts...
(To find the hostel you have to walk up a rather badly lit road with industrial buildings on either side; it's certainly not the prettiest of locations).
As soon as we opened the door to the 'reception', a man (E. European, I think; not that it's any excuse)pointed at a bench and told us to 'wait there'. So much for a warm welcome - or any welcome for that matter!!
He then claimed the en-suite room I had booked was unavailable, or rather that we couldn't have it. I'd purposely paid a smidgen more so we could have some privacy (twin or double), but he took great issue to the fact that we were two girls sharing. We were fuming at this stage...
When I questioned what the problem was he tried to fob us off with a dorm room, but I insisted he give us the room I'd requested; eventually we were given a 4 bed en-suite dorm room to be used as a twin, but not before he accused us of 'confusing matters'!!! I was ready for a drink by this stage...
Well, I could ramble on about the other problems we had for ages so, to cut a long story short (ish), we were deeply offended and utterly disgusted at the treatment we received from this man (Vytas is his name) and the manager himself.
When I finally found the manager to complain he didn't say a word; just grunted, smirked and cleaned bits of food from his teeth with his tongue! No words, no apology, nothing! Disgusting!
So, unless you're happy to tolerate this kind of treatment, I'd suggest you choose one of the many other accommodations that Sligo has to offer where, hopefully, you'll receive a true and warm Irish welcome.

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member