“Handy for a night out”

Ranked #19 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Sligo
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Handy for a night out”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Was in Sligo for a night out with my friends so wanted something cheap and chearful as was on a budget. The staff were very friendly and room was clean. It was a bit tricky to find at first but it close enough to the centre. It's also not far from Strandhill which is lovely.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in two weeks and i found this a nice hostel. After been in one in town it was a nice surprise. The lady that was there when i arrived was very friendly and helpful showed me round. Another girl was there later and she was even nicer.
I took a single ensuite and it was like a hotel towel and all bed was comfortable and i slept like a log.
Kitchen closed at 10pm which i found a little on the down side and lounge closed at 00.30. Then drinks not allowed in room well i always have a bottle of water with me as i sometimes need medication.
Overall it was good and would stay again and the free food was great too a welcome cup of coffee was great.

Room Tip: take single rooms one faced road and was good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Galway, Galway, Ireland
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My three friends and I stayed here one night, as soon as we approached the hostel we knew it was going to bad but not as bad as we thought, we met the owner and he seemed friendly and helpful. He immediately asked for payment when we arrived, the house is not great. There is basic facilities, we used the computer and the internet was dial up and pages took ages to upload. He really should have wi-fi if wants his business to succeed in the future. So we were taken up to our which were bumpbeds the room so small that we had to walk sideways passing each other,and as girls getting ready to go out it was a nightmare. We brought back a few of our friends to the apartment, we were loud when we came in but we were literally asleep with 10mins of coming home. We were woken up by the owner screaming at us that it was check out time at 10a.m.We looked around to see black fungus everywhere it was disgusting. My friends and I rushed packing everything into our suitcases. As we left he complained that we were so loud and he was charging us for the other people who didn't pay as we were loud. We explained that we were not loud for long we all fell asleep. He didn't care and want to be refunded for the business that he lost, we later found out there was no other couple staying there. Charged us 70 euro for that couple and wanted money from our boyfriends that stayed with us. Absolute joke of a hostel, the man Vincent I dealt with I found him very rude, no manners at all, didn't tell us about the check out time, he wasn't there when we needed to ask questions, our room was freezing, mould everywhere, how can this place still be open? My advice is to go to the other hostel in Sligo, its closer to town and it cant be as bad as this place..

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sinead F

Travelers are raving about these Sligo hotels

Amsterdam
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Harbour house is situated in the Harbour of sligo. Although the location is special and not too far from the city centre, it made me very sad. Mainly industrial houses who got struck by the crisis and look very empty.
The hostel itself is very brown and oldfashioned. The bed i was sleeping in was quite wobbly.
It didn't give me a very hospitabel feeling, and sligo itself is also not worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed May 26, 2011

This hostel really isn't as bad as the reviews depicted it. It actually feels quite cosey. The rooms and toilets are very private and comfortable. It truly isn't the kind of hostel to meet fellow travelers. Maybe because Sligo isn't such a tourist attraction, especially for young people. The upside of the desolation is the quite and tranquility. The location is a bit of a walk but still quite close to the center of town. It is a cheap hostel and I would recommend it. It has two downsides. The first one is that breakfast is not included. The second one is the fact that check in is just from 14:00. We came a bit earlier and were quite stunned to find the place deserted. So not only is it impossible to check in, there is also no one to welcome you in before 14:00 and offer you at least luggage storage. Fairly uncomfortable when you travel from a distance and are depending on a bus or train schedules. There is even an airport here so i guess with flights the inconviency is even greater. I suppose you can call the manager once you get there and I assume help would be available but still it is inconvenient and if you are booking there you should be warned.

• Stayed May 2011
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We stayed here for one night when passing through Sligo and after checking out the Riverhouse Hostel closer to town and seeing how awful it was, this was a much better option.

It is in an industrial area but still walking distance from town. There is a free car parking facility which is hard to find in Sligo and whilst the decor was dated and the room was slightly cramped, it was fine for what we needed. The room was clean (though the carpets could've done with a vacuum) and there were fresh towels for each guest. There are kitchen facilities and a 'free food' fridge which was good for a yoghurt in the morning on the way out. There was wireless and 20 mins free usage of the computer and whilst there wasn't alot going on in the hostel atmosphere wise it was totally fine for a quick stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank roguetraveller88
Ireland
Reviewed January 31, 2010

The hostel, located a short walk from the town centre, was quiet and the price they offered was affordable. The staff were welcoming and friendly. I had to ring them twice as I lost my way and the receptionist was very helpful and patient. On arrival I got a free map, timetables and all the information I needed to plan my stay. My room was very pleasant and clean. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the house, especially the big old fireplace in the lounge!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo