“Not as expected, disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sligo Park Hotel

Sligo Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Sompting, United Kingdom
“Not as expected, disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

My friend and I were on a road trip of the west of Ireland and stayed in Galway and Sligo. I was expecting this hotel to be the nicest of the two, but was really disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful, but when we checked into our room 329 our curtains didn't meet in the middle and were falling down. This was a huge disappointment as the view of the Benbilben mountain was amazing and overall we were blown away. We were then moved to a room opposite which only had a doulbe bed and looked out onto some trees which as you can imagine was a let down after the view we just had! We were then moved to room 207 which still overlooked the mountain but was not as great, but we stayed there. The bed and bathroom was clean which is the main thing, but the rest of the room was not very clean and the furniture and walls needed some attention. The curtains also were very dirty with something splashed up them which didn't look very pleasant.
We did have breakfast included but we paid more for this hotel than the one in Galway and Galway wa much nicer. Luckily when we checked out of the hotel we soon forgot about it as had a fantastic day in Sligo, which is a must place to visit!!

Room Tip: Floor 3, as far over to 29 onwards as this gives you a better view of the mountain. We started in 3...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are very concerned to read your review and we are very sorry that you were disappointed. We are taking these matters very seriously and each one is being addressed. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.

Bernadette Coffey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Mayo.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel with our 6mth old baby for two nites. To start it looked ok, but I booked with hotels.com and was not fully aware that breakfast wasn't included at €108 a night. When I addressed this at reception I was told it was what I booked, and to be honest, looking at my booking after, they were right, I asked how much extra would it cost for breakfast in the morning? We were told €24 per night, I went on to their website and I could have rebooked the same room with breakfast there & then for €7 extra, but the reception staff refused to budge on it! I do realise this was partially my fault with booking it, but it left a bad taste from the offset! And the bad taste wasn't shortlived, we decided on bar food the first evening as the evening was pushing on & was the handiest option with the little one with us! I ordered chowder, when it came out, we were presented with brown soda bread from a packet, with added bluemould, I addressed this and it was quickly changed, but come on, who plates this stuff up?? The chowder itself was a little watery in my opinion but I do realise there is room for variation with chowder in regard to how it's cooked, it didn't actually taste that bad, but I was left questioning the rest of the meal after being served that. We used the leisure facilities during our stay, these seemed to be kept clean & in good order, we were happy with them. One other thing was on the Saturday there was a wedding on & with the bar not being too ample, you are left to be subjected to drunken revellers in from the wedding in the bar. There is seating in the lobby also but it's not ideal. Overall I felt the most of the staff friendly and good at their job, I did think the reception staff could have sorted the breakfast thing for me, not that I expect it for nothing, but when I could have booked it on their site for only €7 more, it would be good business practice to change this for their guests rather than leaving them feeling ripped off for the entire stay! And I do realise the room only rates and the way hotels fluctuate price for demand is the way hotels operate now, but a little more common sense would go a long way to keep customers satisfied, this is how you go on to reap repeat business, not too sure if I would be back...

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank ManaGrGBH
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are glad to note your positive comments about the staff and the Leisure Club. Your review raises a number of points which cause concern and we will certainly take your comments on board. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Loved it here, close to everything! We were on holidays and the staff made it a holiday for us, really attentive! Food in hotel was ok, but we went out for dinner as recommended by staff! So all in all it was a great stay and lovely leisure facilities!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation on your recent trip to Sligo. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We have noted all your comments. Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Co.Wicklow.Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My self and my wife stayed for our 3rd visit in this hotel since July 2012. we really had a brilliant and very relaxing 4 night stay. Form the time we checked in by a very pleasant receptionist, Yvonne, till the time we checked out by Yvonne again, every single member of staff that we had contact could not have nicer and helpful to us, from Management to housekeeping.
We arrived there for a 4 night stay on Sun 19th May.
The food, service, hospitality,cleanleness and much more were excellent.

Room Tip: chose a room on 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas K
Dear Guest,
We are really glad to read of your satisfaction with your stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of the hotel, staff and food. Thank you for sharing this with other Trip Advisor members. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My first impression of my room was the large window taking up one whole wall of the room, but the view of the leisure centre's tennis courts was nothing to write home about, and later I found that the curtains didn't completely block out the windows. I had dinner in the bar on one night, and it was terrible, and my second breakfast, the hot buffet was anything but, the bacon and eggs were practically cold, which I didn't think was possible with a hot plate.

The hotel is too far from town to walk, so you end up driving in, and spending more money on parking - the helpful reception staff did point me at a carpark that was e3 for the whole day which was fine, but I can imagine that filling up pretty quickly.

Finally, they give keys for the rooms, not cards, which I'm always worried about losing even when around the hotel and you have to rely on somebody being in reception when you need your key back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank psychokilla
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your recent stay in Sligo. Thank you also for taking the time to give your feedback. A number of aspects of your review give cause for concern and shouldn’t have occurred. I apologise to you for these matters. Thank you for your kind compliment regarding the helpful reception staff.

Please let me know if ever I can be of any help to you at any time,

Bernadette Coffey
On Behalf of Management and Staff of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Approaching the hotel your first impression is it is so 1970s as is the spacious reception area, the large surface car park and getting a key for our room rather than a card (there are a few rooms not converted) but first impressions can be wrong. Our room was perfectly modern and comfortable with every facility expected. Staff were friendly and you felt got to know you very quickly. Nice to be able to hang out in the reception area which was always busy as was the bar. Wife had an injured ankly and no problen supplying quantities of ice as and when required. Food was of a reasonably good standard. Well located on N4 just as you enter the town a good walk or cheap taxi ride to the centre.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John L
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation on your recent trip to Sligo. We are glad to note your comments on the staff, food and the hotel. Thank you for your positive remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was part of a large party (40) that stayed in this hotel recently. The Sligo Park had not been our first choice of hotel but due to unforseen circumstances we were relocated to the Sligo Park. I have to admit when I heard about the move I was not best please especially after reading some of the more recent reviews. I am glad to say that I need not have worried. We had an excellent stay, the food and the service were excellent despite the fact that the hotel was busy with a number of large groups and a wedding taking place while we were there. All our needs were catered for, where we had requested rooms near lifts and quiet rooms all were provided. The staff were friendly helpful and very pleasant to deal with. So well done to all atthe Sligo Park, many thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Take some of the criticial reviews with a 'pinch of salt' they are not always accurate
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are really glad to read of your satisfaction with your recent stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of the hotel, food and staff. Thank you for sharing this with other Trip Advisor members. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.