“Weekend break”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Irvinestown, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend break with my husband, daughter and her partner. Our 2 rooms were excellent spotless and very spacious.... one with a view of the mountains and the other overlooking the well kept garden. Top parks for the leisure centre which even has a plunge pool. The breakfasts were excellent.. continental, full Irish and everything in between. (I had a lovely omelette). The dinner menu was equally good. Special mention for the beautiful apple tart and the carrot cake. We found the staff pleasant, helpful and friendly, especially our restaurant waitress. We will definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and will stay there next time we're in Sligo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are really glad to read of your satisfaction with your stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience of food, staff and hotel. Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bernadette Coffey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here with my partner in mid December 2012 on a weekend break. The break was a mixture of business and pleasure. The first night we ate in the bar. This was our second stay at this hotel and on the previous occasion we had found the bar food quite good. I am a vegan and on the last stay there was a vegetarian curry on the menu which was suitable and was nice, my partner’s meat dish was also quite nice. This time however, there was no vegetarian option and what the Chef came up with was chips, a side salad (lettuce and tomato) and a plain burger bun roll (for me to put the salad into?!!!!!), my partners meat dish was just adequate. On the second night we had dinner in the restaurant as we were on a 2 B&B and 1 dinner package. After breakfast I informed the restaurant staff that I was a vegan and suggested a melon starter and pasta with a plain tomato sauce for a main. My partner ordered off the set "Christmas" menu. His starter was poor (some sort of tartlet from memory). My starter consisted of 3 large circles of melon in the middle of a large dining plate, no coulis or anything! Just three lumps of thickly cut melon stacked in the middle of a plate?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe a Chef would send this out, let alone a Chef in a 4 star hotel! I have had a melon starter on many occasions (which is often a starter on a menu) and it would always be nicely presented with coulis and other fruit. When I asked the waitress for some coulis or something to go with it I was presented with a ramekin of vinaigrette that accompanied one of the other salad starters! Vinegar and melon don't exactly mix! My partner had turkey and ham for the main, again this was sub standard and I got my pasta which was just that... pasta and sauce... no vegetables! I didn't even bother to ask for a fruit salad for desert, my partner had the Christmas pudding and custard which was terrible; flavourless and rubbery. The function room was very busy on both nights of our stay with Christmas parties. The night we ate in the restaurant there were only two other groups there, a family with two small children and another group of about eight people. I understand as a result of the parties that the kitchen would have been busy but I have never experienced such poor food anywhere, let alone in a 4 star hotel. The reason for the delay in my writing this review is that I initially was so shocked at the quality of the food that I couldn’t wait to write the review but was afraid that I was so annoyed that I would be merciless and I did not want to get anyone in the kitchen in trouble. However, I write a review of everywhere I stay and it would be unfair on the other properties I have reviewed not to write a review of this one. Also I am still aghast at the sub standard food. I cannot understand how a Chef could send this food out to a paying guest; even if the meal was free he should be embarrassed. I have to note that the waiting staff were friendly and can’t be faulted. I always leave a tip but on this occasion I just couldn’t. I found it hard not to because as I say the waiting staff were nice but the food was atrocious. The breakfast was fine; the normal hot and cold buffet. The only problem I had was that on one of the mornings I saw one of the staff sneeze into their hand and then touch the handles of the utensils for taking up the hot food!!!!!!! The reception staff were friendly and the rooms were normal 4 star standard. I am due to go to Sligo in May but this hotel as a result of the food will always be last on my list. If I do ever stay again it will be on a room only or b&b basis at most!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank absolutetruth
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay last December at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are very concerned to read your review and we are very sorry that you were disappointed with your dining experience. We are taking these matters very seriously and each issue is being addressed. It is good to note that you had a positive experience of staff and accommodation. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Booked a long weekend away for my girlfriends birthday in April. The hotel location is okay - short car drive to city shops etc. Major problem with the stay was the hotel room itself - very disappointed, as was my girlfriend. Please see photos. Various markings, rips and overall lack of quality finish. Needs a serious update. Also Iron provided in the room needs replaced as missing hot water cap - potential health and safety risk (please see photos)

3 Thank P M
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation. I am very sorry if you were disappointed with your stay, all your comments and photographs have been noted and each will be addressed. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.
Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed with our 3 yr old toddler & 11 week old baby for 2 nights mid week. I found the staff very friendly and helpful (on hand to sterilise bottles when asked etc). We found the breakfast up to standard and great selection available. We had bar food on one night and this too was enjoyable. Decor maybe a little dated but the staff and friendly atmosphere more than compensated this. I would recommend this hotel to friends and I will return when in Sligo again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 7Cass
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation on your recent family trip to Sligo. We are glad to note your comments on the staff, food and atmosphere at the hotel. Thank you for your positive remarks and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights .Our room was acceptable but it was quite basic it was either too hot or too cold. The food was very basic and not many options on the menu . We found the service quite slow staff were pleasant but not very friendly at all. Don't think we would use this hotel again. The hotel could really do with a makeover the decor is outdated.

Room Tip: rooms on the third room quiter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation. I am very sorry if you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay, all your comments have been noted and each will be addressed. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is very nice for a short stay in Sligo, though don't book it only for the fitness and swimming facilities... they leave much to be desired. They are small, crowded, and old... and we barely got to enjoy them at all. That said, the hotel itself is terrific with a large gorgeous lobby and nice lounge and restaurant. The room itself was large, comfortable, and clean. The hotel is a bit out of the way... and we were walking throughout town so we had a pretty good hike into and out o the center... but all in all no complaints and the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club for your accommodation on your recent trip to Sligo. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We have noted all your comments. Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

longford, ireland
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed for one night at this hotel last weekend. I have to say pulling into the car park we were not exactly blown away, its very drab looking and we could see straight into the swimming pool from the car park! the lobby and reception area is nice and modern looking, check in was quick, we were quite amused at the key and huge keyring for the rooms! our room was on the third floor, it looks like they have tried to re decorate(on a tight budget) in parts of the hotel, our bathroom was clean and bright,it did seem to be newer than the bedroom,but the room was very basic,theres not even a picture on the walls! there was a big radiator on the wall but we couldnt seem to change the temp of it, until about 5pm the room was bordering on uncomfortable hot, then all of a sudden it went freezing cold, and during the night again it was so hot and there was so way to control the temperature per individual room.
There was quite a gap under the door which also meant i heard constant noise from the corridor during the night, especially around 4:30am it was like being out on the street. Although even if there was no noise you still would not have a decent sleep with the mattress' and pillows, extremely hard and definately not conducive to a good nights sleep.
we had one drink in the bar, we were going to eat there but the menu is limited so not good for a fussy eater, throughout the hotel we found staff to be pleasant, not overly friendly.
Breakfast was a disaster, we were seated, not asked if we wanted tea/coffee, food was stone cold, just not good. When coming up the corridor to our room at 10.15am we came upon two cleaners banging on our door, check out is 12 noon. We found this most un professional, gathered our belongings and left promptly.
This has been our third visit to sligo and on previous times we have stayed in the radisson near rosses point, considering we paid the same money for rooms there and here we will def not be returning to the sligo park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernadette_Coffey, Director of Sales at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are very concerned to read your review and we are very sorry that you had a disappointing stay on this occasion. We are taking these matters very seriously and each one is being addressed. If you would like to have an opportunity to speak with me in person about these matters, then I would be very pleased to hear from you at any time which may be convenient for you. Please let me know if ever I can be of any assistance to you in any way.