“great hotel”
Review of Sligo Park Hotel

Sligo Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed July 15, 2011

we stayed here for three days last week i have to say this is a great hotel its not that far out of sligo the weather was lovely so we walked in and out about 15 mins the room we got was lovely top floor great veiw large and bright the pool was great and clean this would be a good hotel for familys they had a lot on for children the staff are very friendly could not do enough for us the breakfast was busy but we did not have to wait long got breafast in are room last morning was on time and lovely would recomend this hotel cant wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
AnitaD10, Assistant Manager at Sligo Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. It is great to see you have lovely weather during your stay with us and that you found the facilities of the hotel excellent. The Leisure Club is a great for the children as well as the adults. We pride ourselves in the our friendly and helpful staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club

Reviewed July 15, 2011

Looks not at all like a typical hotel but rooms modern and spacious. Staff helpful and decent range of food at breakfast. Good bar food too

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Stayed in this hotel a while ago and would never go back. When we arrived we were shown into a room that stunk of smoke. We were then given another room. All seemed well until that night when the radiators started to bang. This continued without reprieve until midnight when I could take it no longer that I went down to reception. At first I could find no-one to help, then a male member of staff advised me that this happened sometimes in that room, but it would were off soon as the heating was due to go off. I could not believe that they had been aware of this and still placed a family in the room. After lying without sleep for another while the noise did not stop as stated and so then again I proceeded to reception to find no-one around and after a while returned to my room. The banging still continued and therefore I phoned down to reception, they assured me that the heating had now gone off and the sound would go away. After a bit the phone in our room rang, scaring my daughter out of her sleep. I was informed that it would be best that I turn the radiator off as the heating would come back on around 6 am again and therefore the banging may begin again. Absolute nightmare!

The next morning we were given our 3rd room! An executive room with no storage for a family with clothes!

Breakfast was a further nightmare. We were shown to our table by a very sour lady. This table was right in front of the food. Problem being with the queues for food we could neither get to or from our table. At one stage I could not get back to my table with my cooked breakfast. Furthermore, people were crowded round our table which was completely horrendous to eat comfortably.

The mystery of the teapots ?

On arrival our first morning to breakfast, along with not being able to get out from our table, the waitress informd us that we had to take our cup to an area for our tea to be dispensed from a pumping machine. This was a task in itself. As I looked across the other side of the room I could see others with silver teapots. So I asked the waitress again and she advised that I had to get tea from the dispensing machine. I was baffled!

The next morning we were determined that after the nightmare of the banging radiators, no sleep and the disasterous first breakfast - that we were going to get a table away from the food. When we arrived, same sour restaurant manageress showed us to the same nightmare table. I said that we did not want that table and explained why. Curtly she told us that no other table was ready for us to eat as and that we would have to wait outside until one became available. We did that only to be shown to the table next to the one we had originally! Great now we could not get to our table for the stream of people getting cereals and fruit!!

Again we could not get a teapot, though others had them on their tables.

My husband stopped coming down for breakfast as he could not bear another. However, on the next and last morning of our stay we were shown to a lovely table and when I asked the gentleman if I could have a pot of tea - I got one. Hurray!!

When we got our bill, no change had been made for the disasterous time we had.

We have stayed in loads of hotels and I have never left a bad review before.

Hope this has gotten better since the two years we stayed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank grace1610

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. We have read your comments with great concern. Firstly we want to apologise for your disappointment with your stay and secondly we want to assure you that each one of your comments is taken very seriously and is addressed individually by our service excellence team here at the hotel.

An intermittent problem which occurred with a radiator in one room in the hotel has been resolved. We hope that when you and your family return to the Sligo Park, you will experience a comfortable night’s sleep and our customary warm and professional service throughout your stay.

If you would like to discuss your stay (I'm not sure from your review if it was one or two years ago) I would welcome the opportunity to talk to you if you would like to contact me directly,

Reviewed July 14, 2011

My family and I stayed in a family room for 2 nights. We found the staff were very friendly & customer service was great. The 1st night was very very warm,as there was no air-con in our room (which we did expect for a 4* hotel) I rang reception to ask for a fan, inside 5mins we had one. Only negative I would have would be that we felt we were being watched at breakfast. We were on a room only package but went down for breakfast on the 1st morning, every few minutes the waitress was over at our table looking down on our plates to see what we were eating. We didn't enjoy breakfast & didn't go down on the 2nd morning. Had dinner off the bar menu, very good. Plenty room to sit & relax in the foyer & a few tables for outside seating too which was nice.
Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pmc12

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent very positive review of Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are glad that you found the staff to be very friendly and the customer service great. It's true that there is plenty of room in the foyer and it is very relaxing.

It is not at all unusual for guests to select a 'room only' rate and choose to have breakfast in the Hazelwood restaurant. In that case, they take full Irish or continental breakfast and the cost is added to their bill accordingly. The self service buffets have a wide and appealing variety with generous helpings - both hot and cold, tea /coffee is served to the tables. Guests are welcome to help themselves to breakfast at their leisure. We hope you will enjoy breakfast more when you return next time.
It is good to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and had such a positive impression of the hotel and the staff. Thank you for sharing this with other members.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

This is one of the nicest hotels l have stayed in, we booked it for a weekend away and also as a supprise birthday bash for my mums 80th birthday, other family members booked in as well, l asked for them to be put on a diffrent floor to my mum so she would not spot them, reception did this without a problem, from the time we booked in to the hotel till the time we left the staff were all lovely, they made a fantastic cake for my mum, the rooms are really nice, big with lovely bathrooms. This hotel is lovely, but it's the staff that make it exceptional, from reception, bar staff and the cleaners, other hotels should send staff here to see how it should be done.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for a lovely review of your stay with us at Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club. We are thrilled that your family had an enjoyable time at your Mums 80th birthday. We pride ourselves in the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff and a lot of the staff here are with us for some time.
We hope to see you back again for your next family celebration.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Large business or large group oriented hotel but very modern and well cared for. Plenty of car parking, excellent comfortable rooms & en-suite, helpful reception staff. We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food presentation but breakfast the next morning was excellent. We were only staying one night as part of a trip around the northern counties and couldn't decide whether to stay in Sligo or Westport but opted for Sligo. Whilst we were more than happy with Sligo Park Hotel a walk around Sligo the next day gave the feeling that Westport would have been the better town in which to stay as Sligo gives the impression of struggling a lot in the current economic climate.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments of your stay with us at the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club.
I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast experience as it is one of the most important meals of the day. We hope you enjoyed the remainder of your trip of the northern counties and you seen all the wonderful sites of Sligo along the way.
Sligo town has a great number of historic and beautiful buildings : the Courthouse, Gilhooly hall, Yeats Memorial Building, The Model, the Town Hall to name but a few. A walking trail (with or without a guide) takes you along this interesting route at your own pace, winding along the Garavogue River with its interesting shops and cafes. A guest information board at Sligo Park Hotel has lots of suggestions of the many interesting things to do and see. Our staff really enjoy helping guests discover the delights of Sligo, we are very sorry that you left without making these discoveries and we really hope you will return to explore some more with our help.

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We were going to spend two nights here but decided that Sligo was not a great base from which to explore. The town is a bit down on it's luck and not very tourist oriented. Someone told us later it was a bypass town. The hotel is average. No big negatives but not a destination I would go again. The County Sligo golf course nearby is a fun and pretty course. Would recommend that for a stop.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick63119

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Sligo Park Hotel and Leisure Club.

It is unfortunate that you did not get so see all the wonderful sites of Sligo - known as 'the land of hearts desire'

Next time you come to Sligo, in the immediate area you should explore Rosses Point, Mulloughmore and Streedagh with miles of sandy beaches, you can enjoy surfing, kayaking or take a boat trip to Innismurray island. You may prefer to stay on land and drive the circuit around Lough Gill visiting Parkes Castle on your way. It is also possible to take a boat trip on Lough Gill where your host will recite Yeats poetry and tell interesting stories while you enjoy a nice cup of tea or a drink.