“hargadon heaven”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I used to enjoy pints of stout in this pub thirty years ago as a young man, so I did not know what to expect on my return. Would it be the cosy, unspoiled hostelry I remembered, or would it have been remodelled into some modern monstrosity with televised football blaring down on me from huge screens like so many bars these days? I need not have worried. The place was full of happy, laughing, chatting, eating and drinking people with no need of televised "entertainment".The staff are incredibly good, actually appearing to enjoy their work as they dashed about the warren of booths and alcoves. I had been looking forward to my first pint of Guinness in Ireland for a third of a century, and when it came it did not disappoint, nor did it's backup's that followed shortly after. I ate burger and chips. Sounds ordinary doesn't it? It wasn't! It was the best meal I have had in ages: perfect fat brown chips alongside a monumental burger done simply with caramelised onions. The bosses of those horrible fast food chains could learn how good this dish can be when done with taste, and not profit in mind. I have just bought a house some twenty miles away and cannot wait for my next visit.

4  Thank brian g

Reviewed December 3, 2012

A beautiful old pub, full of atmosphere (and little snugs for customers), serving great Guinness, whisky, and (the surprise) really fine food. I had outstanding duck with red cabbage and an excellent brownie - colleagues were equally impressed. It's worth going for the food alone.

2  Thank amgriffiths
Reviewed December 3, 2012

What a great surprise! just looking for a bar that served food in the middle of Sligo and this was the first one we came across, we were soon aware it was something a bit out of the ordinary with the smartly turned out barman, the authentic decor and a pretty good bar food menu. I picked the meal of the day - or whatever it was called - what an excellent idea - a whole meal on one plate! Great portion size for a 'light' lunch; a cup of homemade soup, I chose the salmon mousse/pate with lovely bread as my 'main' and a mini apple crumble (admittedly not so brilliant). The staff were charming.

2  Thank barbacni
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Had a few work colleagues in for lunch last week very nice and tasty . They really enjoyed it fantastic service by nice bar man , very friendly and will return .

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Ate lunch in Hargadons, lovely staff, great value for money, v tasty food the old style of the pub is delightful.