“Great course - variety and views - and a few hills.”

Esker Hills Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Esker Hills, Tullamore, Co. Offaly is regarded as one of Ireland's leading inland golf courses. It is a challenging championship golf course where no two holes are remotely alike. It is noted for its distinct links feel, superb sand-based greens, all-year playability and warm welcome.Awarded "Irelands Bestest Hidden Gem" in Leinster at The Golfers Guide To Ireland Awards 2012.
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Great course - variety and views - and a few hills.”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Seriously - I'd recommend getting a buggy unless you are super fit. Those hills would kill a normal person.

I play off a 15 handicap and found the course a challenge. Not ridiculous but challenging. There are some lovely holes. The course is mature and the greens (sanded today so not great) would normally be good I reckon. Note - you should take an extra club for those elevated greens.

Ray (in the office) was very friendly and accommodating. And the fee including buggy represented excellent value.

Iif you would like a different experience and particularly for a golf society this course is worth a visit. Although I'd suggest playing off the forward tees (for the society).

Visited September 2013
4 Thank M-moate

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great golf and a home from home”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We have a regular four ball that travels to different courses around Ireland four or five times a year. In August we travelled to esker hills. I made the booking weeks in advance. The person taking it was courteous and helpful. When we arrived on the day we were greeted with a pot of tea and snacks. We set off with score cards and pencils supplied on the house. We indicated that we would like to eat after the round. We had an excellent round of golf, thank god for the buggies. We lost sense of time and arrived back in the late afternoon. The kitchen had remained open and served up some really good food. A local customer engaged us in conversation. We left with a feeling of having been out at our home club even though we weren't. We would all recommend this club and course to anyone who wants a great day out coupled with challenging golf. If you decide to play this course I know you will enjoy your day.

3 Thank Colm F
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Round of golf”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great day of golf. Extremely pleasant and helpful staff. Superb price for an excellent facility. Club house is functional and spotlessly clean. Changing rooms very well maintained. The staff have a genuine interest in the facility and intent on making it a great day out. The course is varied and no crossing of holes occurs. Greens are superbly maintained and the rough is kept to a reasonable level. It is a long course and would advise a buggy for first timers to allow one enjoy the course. I must say that I would put it on my favourite list alongside Killeen Castle.Looking forward to my return

1 Thank Ted M
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Absolute Gem”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I played Esker Hills today. It was my first time there, but thankfully my playing partner had played there many times, so he was able to show me the best lines. The first was a gentle start, but it just grew from there on, with some stern challenges along the way which finally peaked at the 17th, a monster par 4.
There were some magnificent holes, and I can honestly say not one poor hole along the way, with some needing a lot of plotting. But alI told, it was very fair.
The course was in excellent condition, and the greens were very true.
I'd also like to mention the great hospitality from Ray and the value we received. I'll definately return, hopefully with a society, and the sooner the better.
It was definately a test of golf, and one of the best compliments you could pay the course was that I used every club in my bag. Thankfully it didn't take every ball with it :-)

1 Thank Olliefla
Listowel, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“special place!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

anyone who plays golf and is in the vicimity of Esker Hills , should most definately pay it a visit. It is an experience not to be missed. The course is both scenic and challenging and very well maintained. The welcome in the clubhouse is second to none. Thanks Ray, Caroline et al. We look forward to seeing you again.
Four from Ballybunion,