“Xmas Party”

Porky's Restaurant at The Squealing Pig
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Monaghan
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Monaghan, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Xmas Party”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We held our Xmas party here with finger food. It was beautiful. The food was served on a wooden platter with a lovely selection of fish and chicken and lovely potatoe skins with dips etc. we were all stuffed and plenty left over and not a sandwich in sight. I hope to be asked to another Xmas party soon. I would recommend here to anyone on a small budget but want lovely food. well done Raymond, Mark and Shane. another leader.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank MmcK16

monaghan
“the best from porkys”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

looked the place both down stairs in bar and up stairs for restaurant. food lovely. sauces for steaks not enough. the plates or slates didnt feel good putting mash on them but thats just me. apart from that all in good in raymonds bar and restaurant. will be back

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank siobhanmonaghan
Monaghan, Ireland
“best restaurant in town”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

myself and my wife heard this restaurant was open again through the taste of monaghan, we did know know it had reopened but we where so happy that it did.
from we arrived on Friday night we where met by a very pleasant young waitress who was very polite and talked to us about the new restaurant and menu, we had a drink and ordered, 1st we had starters I had the garlic mushrooms and my wife had the hot wings that where beautiful, we then had 2 sirloin steaks that where cooked to absolute perfection med/rare!! great value for money as the steaks come on a board with all the trimmings something you would see in a upmarket bistro in Dublin or Belfast, we then shared a caramel and toffee eton mess this was a surprise after surprise chocolate, nuts, toffee, caramel, ice cream it was top class!!
we got the best surprise when we got the bill, great prices great food and can not wait to return a definite must for any food lover.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 205michael
Bundoran
“One menu entry - three different steaks”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Five of us ate in the Squealin’ Pig in early October. We ordered three fillet steaks – two rare and one medium – one plain chicken breast and their “single” burger (they also offer a duo of burgers, one of which is a very tasty-sounding “pulled pork” burger), alongside a variety of side dishes.
The three steaks were all different. My daughter’s fillet was thick, succulent, very tasty and perfectly rare. My son’s was about 60% as thick and closer to medium but still very good. My wife didn’t get fillet steak at all bit rather three thin steaks (like minute steaks) stacked on top of each other but served in exactly the same style as my children’s fillets. On complaining she was told they had made a mistake and served her medallions?? One was good but the other two were very grisly and she left them behind. My burger bun was much too crisp but the burger itself and the accompaniments were excellent. It was also very filling and I would need some appetite to avail of the duo of burgers!! Sides of chips and champ were both good. Caribbean fries were recommended by the waitress and she was right –they were exceptionally tasty – while roasted carrot and parsnips were also very good. The sauces with the steaks and the chicken were all a little thin but were flavoursome and complemented the meats very well.

There was quite a long wait from ordering to getting the food but the service was friendly and attentive. The waiting staff were, however, quite young and inexperienced, and they did fall down regarding the steak/medallions. There was no recognition that a serious error was made except an offer to exchange for a proper fillet but this made little sense given that all dishes had been served and the delay in service (about 35 minutes to get the food to the table) meant my wife would probably still be waiting when we were finished. Expecting to see medallions on the bill at a much reduced price to the fillet, I was surprised to see it still had three fillet steaks and on inquiry was told that medallions were not on the menu and hence we were being charged for the fillet. Given that the fillet was the most expensive dish there was I said this was a little surprising, especially as they had made the error. As a consequence, I was charged for a sirloin instead and €3 was knocked off the bill.

Despite these negatives, in general I would recommend this restaurant and I can see why previous Tripadvisor reviews veer from the very positive to the very negative. Apart from the inconsistencies about our steak order, everything else was good and looking at the food going out to other tables – we done a lot of that while waiting for our order – everything was very appetizing and all of the other diners looked well pleased with their food. I am in Monaghan fairly regularly and will give it a second chance next time I am up.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank JMMcE
Clones, Ireland
“Good good good service”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Nothing to complain about, servers were polite and helpful and the food was fast and tasty, enjoyed our evening emmensley

Visited July 2013