“Ok for a budget break but with very nice leisure facilities”

Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Having stayed in the sister hotel in Carlingford I kind of knew what to expect of the hotel. The common areas such as the lobby are quite plush but the rooms are quite plain and I was quite disappointed with them. We had booked a suite so we thought suite would mean it would be a bit more luxurious. Sorely wrong. It just meant it had another separate living room/sleeping area which was very sparsely furnished with furniture that just looked so cheap. Not what you want on a romanic trip away. The bedroom part was ok - very plain nothing special - and that's why I would only class this hotel as ok for a budget break. The service is the hotel however was very good for our stay in every department. The breakfast was good enough also considering it is a buffet which I usualy do not like but the food was hot and fresh, and I enjoyed it. The leisure facilities were excellent but I thought it funny to have to go outside the hotel door and into another door to get to them. We enjoyed them a lot as they had pool, sauna, steam, jacuzzi and outside hot tub and the two times we visited the place was quiet enough. We ate in the Avenue and the set menu was good value, but quite plain food for starter and main course and I would do 100 times better myself. We were seated beside the kitchen and had the staff whooshing close by to us all night so again not good for a romantic meal for 2. Was not also helped by the kids screaming and running around who were obviously there as part of some family birthday celebration. This was after 9pm at night on a saturday and at that time of night, I expect to be able to dine in peace. Not the hotels fault but they do encourage family celebrations there and someone could have told the adults to stop letting the kids run around and so loudly. The decor also in avenue is quite plain and casual. It could be a nice place with the lights etc but the furniture looks cheap. We tried to go for a few drinks in the bar. However, it was taken over by a GAA supporters club for the night who were staying there, who also then took over the music that was being played, and took it in turns to "sing" and ssssshhhh anyone else in the bar from talking. so we had to leave after one drink as we couldnt talk and the singing was not pleasant to listen to. I sound like a terribly picky traveler here which I'm not. I do backpacking and 5 + star when it suits me. I aim my reviews and expectations at the standard expected for the price paid or what is promised in the hotel information. My experience was just that this hotel while good in some aspects didnt live up to expectations overall and my room, dinner, drinks experience were very disappointing. Or maybe I'm not the clientele they are aiming at.

Room Tip: don't go for a
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeniMu

Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband, 10mth old and myself just spent St Patrick weekend in the Seasons, and we could not fault it. We arrived on Friday afternoon and had a lovely large family suite which was large, clean, warm and ideal for a creeping baby. The bar food was excellent, as was the Avenue resturant and the staff where more than helpful and friendly with any request that we had. The pool was great, and changing rooms where clean and had baby changing facilities which was great. I really would recommend a stay in Four Seasons for couples, families or groups. We really enjoyed it and will be returning soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank katiemcl
4seasonshotel, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

Thank you very much for your comments, I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Four Seasons Hotel in Monaghan. I look forward to welcoming you and your family in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2011

We have previously stayed at this hotel for family weddings and found it to excellent on those occasions( which were a number of years ago)! As we were passing the area last week we decided to pop in for lunch. It was stortly after 12 o clock. We went in went to the bathroom which wasnt very clean and the soap was a dirty bottle of handwash soap.. !!Went into the bar for the carvery lunch wasnt really impressed with the selection or look of the food, but said we would give it a chance. Now dont get me wrong I dont expect a la carte for a weekday lunch but something that I can eat would be nice. We decided on the roast beef (other options being cottage pie,fish, chicken dish with chilli I think that just looked dryed out and burnt). The roast was so not cooked the veg was horrible tasted a bit like dirty dish water!!! When I did complain she gave me my money back and said sorry ,as the only thing we had were the few chips!! As we both travel alot with work we eat out alot and I have never been handed anything like this even in small country pub.!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hugie186605
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Stayed for the week-end with friends in the Four Seasons,we really enjoyed our stay, from our arrival to departure the staff were very friendly,the food very good and the Hotel very clean,if I was to give a negative it would be the lack of bar entertainment (music) overall a great Hotel and would love to call back again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2010

After staying in this hotel recently, I must say that staff were very friendly on arrival, the rooms were perfectly acceptable - clean and comfortable (room 302). After a pleasant nights sleep (following a boozy wedding in a hotel nearby) we headed downstairs for breakfast.

I can honestly say that this is the worst breakfast I have ever payed for.

Firstly, the breakfast room was quite dingy compared to the rest of the hotel-the lighting was very aggressive and there were no windows, but hey-you can get over this easily enough. A very cross lady directed us to a table close to the buffet. we ordered tea and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. What was served up to us was just wrong in every possible way... It was cold. It consisted of a slice of bread with a perfectly spherical dome of hard bland scrambled egg. This sorry lot had then obviously been shoved under the grill as the exposed bread was burnt and the bread under the scramble was soggy. To top it all off, this was accompanied by a scraggy piece of smoked salmon which someone thought appropriate to grill along with the scrambled egg! Sorry for the graphic description but i honestly couldn't believe they were serious.

Such a shame because the rest of our stay was really up to standard...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank holoria
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We really liked the Four Seasons. We were attending a wedding reception there and it worked very well. The hotel is comfortable and has a nice atmosphere. The meal provided at the reception was good and the breakfast the next morning was excellent. The bedroom was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine (although the one we had could do with having a more up-to-date shower). The thing that really impressed us was the positive attitude and competence of the staff we encountered. Without any exceptions that I can recall, from the receptionist on the desk on check-in to the waitress serving breakfast, the quality of the service was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We spent a one night break at the Four Seasons over Easter. I was really pleasantly surprised. Whilst waiting on our rooms to become available we grabbed a bite of lunch in the bar/restaurant. Whilst there was carvery lunch being served which offered great value and selection we opted for wraps from the bar menu - they were excellent and well priced. We had dinner later in the evening which again didn't disappoint. Good quality and quantity of food. The only criticism made was by the vegetarians in my company who were disappointed at the lack of selection and imagination on the dinner menu.
Service was very good - attentive, helpful staff.
The leisure facilities were excellent - great gym with plenty of equipment, fab 18 metre pool, stream room, sauna, and indoor and outdoor jacuzzi. We spent a huge amount of time relaxing.
We also walked into Monaghan town for some shopping - nice town, easy walking distance, with a good selection of shops.
Overall this hotel break provided a great overnight stay/getaway, value for money, great facilities and services. I would certainly go back for another break, hopefully a bit longer the next time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney
Armagh City Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 2 in Armagh

Been to Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club? Share your experiences!