“Good hotel good value”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Reviewed March 19, 2010

My wife and I spent a three day midweek break at the Hillgrove. We enjoyed it immensely. The room was good, the facilities were good, the food was good, but what impressed us most was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 19, 2010

We traveled to the Hillgrove for Valentines weekend.
On arrival we were shown to our room and got settled in. A trip to the bar was definately called for as was the excellent lunch.
On return to our room we found that the heating was not working(faulty thermostat) and we contacted reception. A very nice man tried his best to sort the problem but without sucess. We were automatically moved to another room. No if's or but's.
The rooms are fresh and well equiped. Very clean and tidy as is the whole hotel. The staff are like relations that you have not seen in a while. So friendly and courtious. Nothing is too much trouble. The spa area is excellent although my wife was advised not to use the sauna as she had a heart attack in December and the staff said that sometimes the warm temperatures of a sauna can cause problems. This was confirmed later by our doctor but well done the Hillgrove Spa staff for their thoughtfullness.
I would have no problems in recommending this Hotel to anyone. In fact we hope to return for another weekend of pure relaxation and great food. Suppose i better mention the food. First class service ,food and choices from a great menu. Brilliant surroundings and a really great time that sadly went so fast.
Returning very soon. 5 star all the way.
Hector & Pearl Wishart.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2010

recently visited hillgrove hotel with my fiance was looking for good value for money and found it the hotel was gorgeous very up to date room was very compfortable with great views minutes from town centre food was gorgeous in bar and restraunt very fresh great vareity,leisure facilitys were excellent and spa facility was amazing great value.
Would definatly recomend hotel and will definatly return.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2010

We had a spacious room overlooking the back of the hotel over the leisure centre.
On arrival, although there was a huge Irish dancing competition just finishing, the lady in reception offered us complimentary tea/coffee and scones at our convenience. They arrived and were welcome!
Dinner in the bar that night was good. The barman was very friendly.
Next morning, while my husband went to a meeting I spent time in the pool, the outdoor hot tub, the sauna etc. The boy and young lady in charge were very courteous and inobtrusively helpful.
The lady in reception gave me a map of Monaghan and suggested where I might get coffee during the afternoon. Similarly, the following day we got great help on where to go in Armagh.
The only down was that there were very few people staying in the hotel the three nights we were there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2010

This was a perfect retreat, so pampered and hotel staff were some of the nice people I came across. I've stayed in many hotels across the world and this is in my top 10. The food was beautiful and the beds comfortable. I have O.C.D. when it comes to clean bathrooms, the Hillgrove bathroom.......Spotless!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2009

From the moment I made my initial enquiry for booking a group of 30 ladies for a girlie weekend, the service was fantastic. The food was excellent & the spa facilities & staff were so helpful & friendly. We loved our chocolates & bubbly in the rooms which were great treats for a girlie weekend. The spa staff especially Louise & Diane were so helpful. I would recommend to any individuals or groups looking for a weekend / night away with good facilities & not too far away from the town for partying.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I stayed in August & if I'm being honest I wasn't that impressed. The staff were outstanding and very friendly but for €135/ €180 a night it was disappointing. The reception looks extremely stylish but once you walked past to the bedrooms they are real let down. They were decorated cheaply and the bathroom fittings were falling off the wall. The food wasn't great either. The hotel overall was average and does not warrant the price of €180 or the special rate of €135. €100 would be more than enough considering that they had a spa & leisure centre.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CorkSudee
LexieTravels, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2010

Dear Reviewer

I was disappointed to read your review of our Hotel. And I am sorry that you found it to be bad value. However, your comment with regard to our rooms being decorated cheaply and the bathroom fittings, I feel is unfair. The Hillgrove Hotel is a four star establishment and is regularly inspected by TAMS / Failte Ireland. Our decor and the quality of all of our furniture and fittings have been inspected by them and stamped with their approval and 4 star status. We have 3 full time maintenance people employed in the Hotel and I would be shocked if there were broken fittings in a bedroom. If that was the case, then I sincerely apologise and assure you, that as soon as any of our team discovered this, it would have been fixed immediately. As for value for money, we are offering some fantastic specials at the moment and I would be delighted if you would visit us again to allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves with you. Thank you for the kind comments you also made about our hotel.
Warm Regards

Audri Herron
Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!