“beautiful food, friendly staff”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Reviewed March 26, 2014

myself, my husband and 12 year old son had a meal in the knuttel bistro bar on Saturday evening march 22nd at around 5.30, the place was very bust with 2 sets of hen parties, plus the regualar customers. the staff were really friendly and helpful, I mentioned that I thought some of the prices were quite high, i.e. chicken gougons and chips 14.50, I was informed tjhat from mon-thurs there were great deals for 2 and 3 course meals for 22 euro adults and 11 for kids, which I will definitely avail of in the near future. The food we had was really delicious, chicken fillet, gougons and steak for the 3 of us, although I do think charging 1.50 for the sauce for steak was a little OTT. the bill for the 3 of us was 73.85 which included I pint of guiness, 1 vodka and 2 7ups, a little high, but the food and the staff and ambience was worth. my son went for a game of pool, and thought the games room waqs great, but the pool cues need new tips, apart from that we really enjoyed our time there. well done by the way for the excellent programme, the takeover, we thoroughly enjoyed it. looking forward to dining there again soon.best wishes, Fiona.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear RoloFiona
Thank you for taking the time to review our Knuttel Bistro. We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal so much. Your lovely comments about the staff have been passed on and I am glad that they informed you of our 3 course special for €22.95 on Mon-Thurs. Thank you also for your comment about “The takeover”, the feedback has been so complimentary from our local Monaghan customers that we feel humbled. Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I usually spend my time there when I'm travelling for business.
More than 10 times and the service is unchanged.
Everything perfect, clean and familiar! Good food in the restaurant. Next time I will try the spa and the swimmingpool I never had the chance to try for lack of time.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed at the hillgrove hotel on a couple of occasions with my partner and my two children. The hotel has a warm vibrant atmosphere. the reception staff are very helpful and friendly. Would highly recommend

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephreilly98
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Stephen
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoy our family friendly hotel so much that you have been back on several occasions. We do hope that it isn’t long before your family are back with us again.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

tayed weekend 21st March. Randomly picked hotel had never heard any reviews or had never visited.

Arrived friday evening to a warm welcome from both receptionists. After a long journey, headed for the bar and ordered from the bar menu. Food was delicious. After a short walk around monaghan town, lots of lovely boutiques and gift shops, we hit the pool. (Hats & slippers must be worn u can buy these for a small price) jacuzzi was lovely and warm and outdoor outtub was beautiful. Changing rooms have lovely products, swimwear dryer, hairdryer, straightners and a t.v. its all the little things. Constant attention and cleansing off the pool/changing areas were obvious. Friday night was cocktails at the bar...big selection on the menu. No entertainment on Friday but the atmosphere was good and Liam the barman was great craic and made us very welcome. He is made for his job. Waitresses and other bar staff also very friendly and chatted away.

Both mornings breakfast was delicious and a lot to choose from. I had a spa treatment in the Lir spa which was lovely! Seperate relaxation areas sauna pool etc for those using the spa for a small fee.

Saturday nights dinner and entertainment in the bar was first class. Quite a few hen parties going on and did get slightly busy for an hour or so..but we never felt pushed out and the barmen were all very capable of dealing calmly with thr crowds!

Our first visit and definately not our last!
Service 5star quality. Keep up the good work.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Anon90210
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Delighted that you enjoyed the food in both the bar and restaurant so much, I will certainly pass you lovely comments onto our chefs, Liam and receptionists. We do hope that you choose to come back to us again in the very near future when you will see loads of new features around the hotel including our glass lobby and “orangery”.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stayed in hillgrove for first time on the 16th march it was a wonderful experience and brilliant for the kids. One thing I really noticed was the friendleness of all the staff towards us and especially the children they are a credit to the the owners.The food in the bar was very good and breakfast was great.The swimming pool and games room was great for the kids to.We will definetly be back again.

Room Tip: 4th floor great family rooms