Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ashleigh House(Monaghan)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
1,557 results
All reviewskids clubgames roomflip flopsfamily hotelthermal suitehen partyswimming poolfantastic hotelrelaxation roommurder mysterybar foodoutdoor hot tubfirst classfrom start to finishsecond to nonefamily breakwould highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have just returned from a nights stay in the Hillgrove hotel on Saturday night and am completely dissatisfied with my stay. While I love children, I was overwhelmed with the amount of children running around reception at all times of our stay (on our arrival, dinner time at 8.30 on sat night and again leaving the restaurant at 10pm, and on Sunday morning for dinner).

We also went to use the pool at 6pm on Saturday to be told it was closing - this is very early for a hotel pool to be closing, and also we werent informed of this on arrival. We were told to return on Sunday, when we did the pool & jacuzzi were over-run with very noisy children, with at least 6 children running around unattended in the leisure centre waiting area. Far from the relaxing dip we had envisaged!

Breakfast was tasty, however again there were children running around the self service area, amid teas and coffes being poured - very dangerous!

This weekend was a christmas present, and intended to be a relaxing weekend away after a hectic christmas period. While the hotel itself is beautiful, and our room was very comfortable, I did not enjoy my stay. I emailed the hotel manager once I got back, and was told that because I got a good rate for the room, they would not provide any partial refund for the weekend.
I would never return to this hotel, and hope you will think again about coming here, unless you are a family of 3 or 4 and enjoy being surrounded by children on a weekend break!! I have stayed in numerous hotels, and usually write reviews praising where I have been, however on this occasion I was sorely disappointed and feel ripped off!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Europeangirl

Firstly I want to thank you for choosing the 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel leisure & Spa. I have read through your comments and would just like to acknowledge that we take on board all customer feedback as without this we cannot strive to improve.

As you aware the 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel Leisure & Spa prides itself on being a family friendly hotel. We do advise families to eat early in the evening, however, we cannot enforce this. Our lobby & reception is a public area and a lot of families choose to sit and relax in this area rather than sit in the Knuttel bar. We welcome couples, families and groups to the 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel and if you take the time to read the reviews, while we are a lovely family friendly hotel we also pride ourselves on offering something for all including outdoor hot tub, spa and wellness centre, leisure facilities.

You made your booking through a third party website who charged you €11.51 with €66.49 being paid to the hotel for a Double room Bed & Breakfast .

I have also spoken to the leisure centre and I am sorry that you were informed the pool was closed. The last swim on a Saturday is at 6.15pm and you should have been told this. You also mentioned that the pool and jacuzzi were overrun with children. Again I do apologise if there were too many children, however, we do not supervise the children. Also the children would not have been allowed in either the sauna, jacuzzi or outdoor hot tub area due to health & safety.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel again. As I said in my email to you if you do please contact me directly so that I can arrange a complimentary room upgrade (subject to availability)

Sharon McMahon

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Just home and couldn't wait to praise this fantastic hotel. We have stayed in many spa hotels and have never enjoyed such fantastic service. Mike on the front desk is a natural host, he is friendly and cheerful. Mike even went to his car to get me a charger for my phone, I had forgotten mine. This was above and beyond his responsibilities and to me this was just his desire to make my stay perfect.
The room was so unique, a roll top bath in the bedroom... With different mood lighting. Then there was the 4 poster bed! The room was also spotless, sometimes things like 4 posters get dusty but the cleaning staff must be meticulous. If you don't enjoy watching tv while bathing the shower was the size of some hotel bathrooms. It had body jets and was easy to work.
Swimming pool was a great size, yes it's a little noisy but it is a family hotel so do expect children. We spent a lot of time in the outdoor hot tub for some peace and quiet. We didn't try the spa as we were only there for one night and found the steam room, sauna, hot tub, pool and jacuzzi enough!
Dinner was very tasty. Service so friendly and quick. Slight issue with my steak, I ordered very rare and got a well done one, but the staff immediately took it away with no question and a perfectly cooked rare steak was with me in minutes.
Overall we had the best stay, better than we had in a 5 star establishment which cost considerably more. We are looking forward to returning. Thanks to all the staff for making us so very welcome.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tessac23
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear TessaC23
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and also for your fabulous comments. The staff here at the 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel are certainly the difference between us and other 4 Star establishments. I will certainly pass on your lovely comments to Mike our Reception Manager, however, at this stage his head is so big from all the fantastic reviews. You stayed in one of our bridal suites which contains a beautiful 4 poster bed, bath with mood lighting and a fabulous bathroom so I am so glad you enjoyed our funky decor. I am also delighted that our restaurant staff dealt so efficiently with your food. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.
Sharon McMahon

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed in this hotel last night. It was our first visit to the hotel. The best things about the hotel are the staff. Our receptionist Mike is a very curteous efficient member of staff. He answered all our queries very well. The swimming pool is a lovely bonus and both the jacuzzi and hot tub great extras. Only one fault I could find was I had assumed the pool would have loads of extras as it was meant to be a hydrotherapy one but I did speak to a gym member who told me he thought some of the things were not working. When I stayec in another hotel that had a hydrotherspy pool there wad loads of farioys jets in various parts of pool so thats what I was expecting in the pool here. Found both the bar and restaurant staff to all be very friendly. Had a 4 course meal last night in the restaurant and the meal was gorgeous. Overall an excellent stay many thanks to the staff I hope the hotel owners appreciate all your hard work.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here with our 4 year old and one year old between Christmas and New Year. It is a nice looking hotel with an older front part and a newer rear part. Our family room was easily big enough for the four of us to sleep in comfort. We were high up in the new wing which is further from reception, but therefore quieter and has a great view of the cathedral. The food was great and we enjoyed the use of the swimming pool on a few occasions. The staff that I met all seemed very friendly and helpful. There was a great atmosphere in the central part of the hotel with lots of things going on including a concert one day and a wedding the next.

We weren't that impressed with the kids club activities that seemed to either not happen at times or lacked atmosphere because so few kids attended. The kids club staff did not seem that bothered about livening it up. The other thing that we did not like was that the whole hotel was over heated. I was unable to turn off the radiator in the bedroom myself (no cap) but when I phoned reception they sent someone from housekeeping to do it for me. However the default seemed to be that the radiator was always switched on full in the morning so each day I had to remember to ask housekeeping to turn it off. In spite of turning off the radiator we still had the bedroom windows open all night to let the heat out (in Monaghan in December!).

This hotel is probably a good option for young families for most of the year because not many other reviewers have complained about the kids club - I suspect we were a little unlucky. If they could sort out the heating then it could be an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: High up in the new section of the hotel the rooms are quieter and have a great view of the cathedral. You do have a longer walk from reception however.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrianOSuilleabhain
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Brian
Many thanks for your review and your lovely comments about the bedroom size and the food. I was disappointed to read your comment about our kids club as our kids club manager and her staff receive excellent comments from the many families that they entertain weekly. The kids club runs complimentary supervised playtime on Saturdays and Sundays from 1pm-6pm. I will certainly mention your feedback to the staff as we want to make sure all our residents enjoy the whole experience. With regards to the heating in your bedroom I have spoken to our maintenance team regarding this. We do hope that you will return to the hotel.
Sharon Mcmahon

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Nice hotel very busy whilst we stayed, stayed for one night whilst attending a concert at the hotel. Dinner was nice but service a little casual. Leisure centre is excellent. Overall great stay and good value for money

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends