“First Impressions not good”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Moira, United Kingdom
“First Impressions not good”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I recently visited Hillgrove Hotel to view as a possibility for my Wedding Venue. I had read all packages available and was very keen on this being the perfect place for my wedding reception as it tailored my every need and pictures online looked fantastic. However upon arriving at hotel I was disappointed I felt the exterior of hotel could do with a lick of paint 9minor detail I know). On entering the lobby I was impressed with the large chandeliers however again felt all the doors in hotel need varnished or even replaced. My fiance and I ate in the main bar staff were really friendly and the food was great. Again when looking round the bar area it again just needs a tidy up as felt carpet and furniture were worn looking.
It is a lovely hotel with so much potential and I am soo disappointed as my first impressions were not great.

2 Thank Carol P
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Carol P
I was disappointed to read your comments but realise that in order for us to excel we must learn from feedback.
Firstly thank you for deciding to visit the hotel as a possible venue for your wedding. Thank you also for your lovely comments about our bar food. I have checked through the Managers diary and could not find an appointment for you in August.
The proprietors of the hotel are continually investing in upgrading the facilities of the 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel and this year alone have spend in excess of €250,000. We have had a very busy summer and our maintenance team are as we speak hard at work getting the hotel back into ship shape condition.
I am so sorry that you now feel that we are not a potential venue for your wedding. Had you spoken any of the 100 brides we have dealt with this year I believe you may have a different opinion. Our staff and especially our banqueting manager receive thank you letters from very satisfied brides so I am sorry that you have come to this conclusion. I would be delighted if you could consider giving us another chance and if you do please contact me directly.
Kind regards
Sharon McMahon
Sales & Marketin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Perfect for a getaway with the kids. A fantastic, family friendly hotel. Pool, games room, kids club, outdoor playground. And only a short stroll to the centre of town. If you're looking for a tranquil couples retreat however, then this is not the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank neddy71
NORTHERN IRELAND
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have just returned form a three night break in the Hillgrove Hotel in Monaghan. All of to include the little people and the large thoroughly enjoyed the trip from the friendly and efficient reception staff most notable Mike and Tania to the ladies in the Bar and the staff in the restaurant. I have been in the tourist industry for ten years and without a doubt this is the best family hotel in Ireland. The patience of the staff with children is exceptional and the facilities provided from the play area to the kids club the pool could not be faulted even down to little details such as the colouring pack to keep them entertained while food was being made, to letting parents have a break by providing a kids club from 5-9pm to allow for adults to dine alone if so wished while kids are happily entertained while parents can watch on from the bar area through CCTV of the kids club.

Food in the restaurant and bar both excellent and generally seems to be a well managed hotel that knows exactly its niche market and strives to achieve the highest possible standards in this area. We will be returning in October hopefully for another lovely stay.

Newry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

friendly staff, from reception to bar staff, kids club and restaurant. Had requested room in the new wing and also to be close to friends, both requests met. Great leisure facilities. Kids had a great time in kids club and parents equally good time having a meal both nights in the bar. bar food fantastic.

Room Tip: rooms in the new wing are nicer
Crossgar
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just spent a couple of nights here and was thoroughly impressed by everything. Was my first visit and will definitely go back again, food, service, decor, facilities all were brilliant. Loved the little quirky touches that made it something to remember. Only fault was poor wi-fi, but not enough to put me off, thanks for making our stay so special, especially Pauline who looked after us so well.

County Down
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay in the Hillgrove with my partner from 29/8/13 to 31/8/13 Our room was very spacious, and the bathroom had both a bath and separate shower. The room was very clean and the decor was understated, and nice. We made use of the pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room throughout our stay, all of which remain open until 9pm in the evenings and are of a good standard, again with friendly and helpful staff. We ate in the Knuttel bar both evenings. (The restaurant menu was also lovely, but did not appeal to us). The food was gorgeous, time from order to plate was minimal and the service was second to none. A particular mention for Pauline who served us. Pauline was polite, helpful and nothing was too much trouble for her. Pauline took the time to explain the menu to us and was knowledgeable about the food served and helpful with questions about the Hotel and Monaghan itself. Even when the EUFA draw was completed and my partner was aghast with his teams group (group F, oh the horror)! Pauline was empathetic to his plight! All the staff of the hotel were helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Also for Paula, who took an hour of her time to show us their events rooms and answer our endless questions with professionalism and humour! My only "nitpicks" being the poor wifi (best reception is in the lobby or the bar) and the television in the room (it's on a fixed bracket that doesn't move, and the volume is preset to 18, a little to low) again minor details as we used these rarely. All in all a fantastic break, with helpful and friendly staff who can't do enough for guests and are thoroughly a credit to this hotel and the owners. We especially loved the quirky touches in the hotel decor, which have to be seen to be believed! Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, and I cannot emphasise how much the staff are proud of their hotel and their work. We will definitely be returning. SOON!

Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Spent a long weekend here with my pregnant wife and 5yr old and found something for everyone.
Firstly, the hotel's greatest asset is by far their staff. Very welcoming and accommodating.
We stayed in a family room which was basic enough for a 4 star hotel. The TV was a dated CRT and the remote control wasn't working but the beds were comfortable and the room was spacious.
There is an excellent kids club which has a plethora of activities from bouncy castle and play park to Wii dance and movie nights. There is even a small pool table and gaming/arcade room.
While the kids are being supervised you can relax in the pool, hot tub, sauna, jacuzzi or superb spa. The spa has treatments for everyone, my wife took advantage of the "soon to be yummy mummy" package.
The hotel in general has a very laid back feel which makes it so family friendly. There is a bistro style bar with a good atmosphere and a more traditional restaurant where breakfast is served as well as evening meals. Meals were of a good if not brilliant standard, but again there was a great childrens menu.
We found everything under one roof but if you wanted to go exploring then Monaghan Town is only a short ten minute walk away and there are nearby golf courses. The hotel even offers golfing packages amongst its many staying options.
Overall I would class the Hillgrove as a family oriented hotel with perks for the adults too.

Room Tip: For only €20 extra per night you can be upgraded to a suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!