“Great few days”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
London, United Kingdom
“Great few days”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We arrived at the hotel for a 3night stay as part of a wedding party. The hotel is situated 10 minute walk from the town centre and 3 minute walk from the Cathedral which is beautiful. We were given interconnecting rooms which were well laid out and surprisingly big. Bathrooms had both a walk in shower and bath, but the water pressure is not great. The bar was a great place for a snack and the guys who work there are just lovely. Our kids loved the hotel games room and pool, although it was strange having to wear a swim cap! The staff are really accommodating towards kids which means so much! The breakfast was good, but no soda or potato bread. The Wedding we attended went off seamlessly from the room set up, food, staff, well everything really. We had car trouble when there and the hotel handyman came out to give us a hand, it was 29 degrees, unusual in Ireland but he stayed out there for ages trying to help. All in all a great fun time was had by all and I would recommend the hotel, especially if you take the kids.

Room Tip: The rooms are very warm, also the cathedral bells chime on the hour ask for room on other side of ho...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a standard hotel. Pool and hot tub were very nice. Staff was efficient and friendly. No negatives. Just know that all pools in Ireland require you to wear a swim cap. We never got in the pools for this reason.

Cranford, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just home from the Hillgrove. Had a lovely time even though my husband wasn't very well! Kids constantly wanted to go to the playground or the pool. Oh and the bouncy castle! Staff were really friendly, from Mike who dealt with all my emails and who we met when we arrived to Kiely in the restaurant at breakfast. My eldest had great fun with her seeing as Donegal are playing Monaghan in gaa semi final!!! He had his Donegal jersey on one day.
Would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Fiona
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and we appreciate your excellent comments. Delighted that there was plenty to do for the kids including our complimentary kids club. We have just been voted Families First No.1 Family Hotel in Ireland and we have many great offers during the summer so hopefully it won’t be long before we welcome you back again. Good luck in the football! I will pass on your lovely comments to Mike & Kiely.
Sharon Mcmahon
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 4, 2013

From the time we stepped foot into the Hillgrove Hotel we were greeted with warmth and courtesy.We were booked in straight away and given details of the food,bar and services available in the hotel.The bedroom was spacious,clean and very comfortable.We had dinner booked on the 1st nite and when it was time to go into the restaurant we noticed we were the only ones eating at that time,so we said the bar would be fine,but the lovely staff,especailly the friendly Kimberely insisted that we eat in the restaurant and enjoy the peace and quiet as we had told them we had left the kids at home.The Leisure Area was very clean and well looked after.I wouldn't hesistate for one moment to book into this hotel again.Im looking forward to going back after the summer holidays,as Im sure I will need a break fron the kids by then....Well done Hillgrove Staff on excellent service..........

Room Tip: We found the Hotel very quiet at night,but we did stay midweek!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline205
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have taken a bit of time to think about how I will review this hotel. It is a lovely hotel with friendly pleasant staff. However, I felt totally frustrated for the most part of my stay. Having arrived to experience a spa/pamper package as part of a hen party group, I was disappointed to see that we were allocated a room with an en suite for the disabled, i.e. no bath and awkward toilet and sink facilities. When my mother-in-law enquired she was told 'well, someone had to have it'. The manager did offer to move us but it would have separated us from the group. I would have preferred to have been notified on arrival, as I was so disappointed not to be able to have a relaxing bath!

I find it extremely expensive that a triple room with dinner, bed & breakfast with a 30 minute treatment would cost €450 (bubbly & chocolates were in the room on arrival but I'm afraid the word bubbly would be a very loose term for what it was. €5 or less in our local supermarket - it was neither champagne nor prosecco).

As previous reviews have stated, the menu in the restaurant was certainly not up to scratch. Being a lover of most foods, I found the starter options very unusual and not really to my taste!

On check out, I raised these issues with Reception staff. I felt ignored and that the hotel didn't really care, it was as though we should have been grateful to get what we got! At no point did anyone say 'I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your pamper/spa package experience'. I notice from previous reviews, the response is defensive defensive to any kind of negative review.

I would like to reiterate that it is a lovely hotel with very friendly staff in general. The facilities were great and it looks like a very family friendly hotel also, going by the playground and kids club itinerary. I just don't think we got value for money for a spa/pamper package.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank AndiamoBaby
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear AndiamoBaby
I want to thank you for your excellent comments about our hotel facilities and am sorry that you did not enjoy your spa pamper break. As I have previously replied to other members of your hen group we take all customer feedback very seriously.
As was explained to you when you spoke to both the head of reception and the hotel manager the organiser of the hen party had asked for interconnecting rooms altogether. As you can appreciate we have to try and accommodate all requests and as you rightly said we did offer an alternative room to you. I do apologise that this was not explained to you on arrival. We did offer the 3 guests of your room complimentary use of the thermal suite to apologise for this issue and as a good will gesture.
The rate for your package is based on a per person charge and as I have said we feel our prices are favourable compared to other 4 star venues. I am sorry that the house bubbly was not to your liking. We could have offered you champagne or prosecco as an extra should you have wanted this.
Our restaurant menu was changed over the weekend and includes warm duck leg, smoked trout salad, half baby pineapple with summer fruits and soup of the day. The main courses are 8oz sirloin steak, honey glazed half duckling, supreme of chicken, grilled salmon or stuffed aubergine filled with cous cous. I take on board your comments and have passed them onto our chef. Having read other guest comment cards from the weekend we received very positive feedback about the restaurant food.
I am sorry that you did not feel your issues were addressed as I have spoken to reception and they recall dealing with you and offering you the complimentary thermal suite. I want to assure you that the hotel proprietors and management of the hotel take customer feedback very seriously. Our hotel has been lucky to receive 3 awards this year, Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence Award, only the top-performing 10% of businesses listed on TripAdvisor receive this prestigious award. This year we also won a Top Score Award by third party booking site Booking.com. Out of a possible score of 10, the Hillgrove Hotel continuously achieved an average of 8.7 throughout 2012, ranking them amongst Booking.com highest achievers. Last weekend we also received Best Family Hotel in Ireland Families First Award.
I want to thank you for your custom and respect your point of view. I am sorry that you see our comments as defensive. We deal with many hen parties on a weekly basis and we work very hard to offer fun and value for money packages as we appreciate there is a lot of choice out there. A lot of our hen parties come to us due to recommendation so I assure you we don’t adopt a “you should be grateful for what you got” attitude.
We hope you will decide to return to the Hillgrove Hotel again in the future .
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for a weekend spa package/Hen party. I could write a book about what happened but at the end of the day the book stops with the management. The staff were not briefed on what was included or excluded. The residence bar will only accept cash which is opposite to the policy in most hotels. When the management was approached about the chaos in the spa, they responded that it was run by a separate management which was not our problem!! To be fair the staff in the restaurant where courteous and avoided asking "was everything ok", probably because of the full plates of uneaten food that they were taking back into the kitchen. On the other hand the Hotel was clean, rooms were nice & comfortable beds.
This Hotel has poor management. The attitude of 'its only a hen party' will be their demise. In short they need to up their game!!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank JenRoo
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear JenRoo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel as without knowing our faults it would be impossible for us to improve. Having looked into your issues regarding the spa our spa manager has informed me that 5 of your group arrived 1 hour late for your treatments. As you can appreciate we had other clients who arrived on time. The normal policy would be that if you arrive late this time would be deducted from your treatment, however our spa manager and her staff bent over backwards to accommodate your late arriving party and you all received your treatments.
You are correct that our residence bar only accepts cash and this is due to management’s years of experience. We are sorry that this caused you a problem.
Our staff are fully briefed on what is included in various packages and thankfully our hen party bookings are successful due to word of mouth reputation. We do not assume this and it is due to the hard work of all members of our staff and management team who have just been awarded Number One Family Hotel in Ireland at the Families First Awards in Dublin's prestigious Mansion House. On top of this we have been awarded a Certificate of Excellence by Tripadvisor, only the top-performing 10% of businesses listed on TripAdvisor receive this prestigious award. We have also won a Top Score Award by third party booking site Booking.com. Out of a possible score of 10, the Hillgrove Hotel continuously achieved an average of 8.7 throughout 2012.
Again I have spoken to our Restaurant manager who states that every table is checked and while we do not ask every single person in a large party separately several members of the table are asked. Had there been a problem with the food we would have immediately offered an alternative as customer satisfaction is our upmost concern.
Once again thank you for your kind comments about the bedrooms, we hope that you enjoyed the complimentary hot tub, leisure centre and swimming pool. I assure you that all feedback is taken very seriously. I would be delighted if you would consider returning to our hotel and if you do please contact me directly and I will ensure that you get a little something extra in your room.
Sales & Marketing Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I paid €150 for a one night b&b, dinner & spa treatment package for a hen party. Arrived at hotel & was impressed with the decor in the reception & our room was lovely and clean & spacious. I thought the package was pricey but as it was a hen party I went with it. I had read the menu on the webpage & was looking forward to what sounded like a delicious meal. The menu we were given was not at all similar to the one on the web page. Very few choices and I picked soup & steak as there absolutely nothing else that appealed to me & I'm not a fussy eater. Soup was fine, steak was just ok. As I was suffering from tonsillitis I didn't eat much of my meal and had I been asked I would have explained that. But my almost full plate was taken away without any question as to if everything was ok. Dessert was served with what looked like tinned strawberries, an offensive squigdy thing, in the middle of summer- surely a fresh strawberry isn't hard to come by??We went into the bar where there was karaoke -depressing could describe the songs that were sung between guests getting up.however the most disappointing part of the stay was definitely the spa experience. There were 19 of us on a package that included a spa treatment each- yet the hotel struggled to accommodate everyone with a treatment. The hen herself having to arrive at the hotel at 9:30 in the morning and everyone else having treatments throughout the day & into the next day. There was a thermal suite that some of our party were allowed to use & others weren't. Some were brought into a relaxation room and forgotten about and not called for there treatments. And others, including myself weren't even allowed into the relaxation room. My mini facial was a lovely treatment and the girl was great. But when I went out and asked to use the relaxation room, I was told I would have to pay for it as my treatment had been " complimentary " with my package - the package which I had paid €150 for. I have never been to a spa where I was not allowed to use the relaxation room and to imply there would be a charge to sit in a room was a joke. On checking out, by the person I believe was the manager, my key was taken, a wrongful charge on my room corrected & " we'll that's it so" . I was expecting " how as your stay" but it wasn't asked. I offered my experience of the spa and was told that the spa is a separate run business & she would pass my comments onto the manager. Others in the group had other complaints but this is my own experience. I felt I paid far too much money for below average food & a rushed, not at all relaxed spa experience. We really felt our complaints were not taken seriously and that the hotel had a " yeh whatever " attitude. I feel this hotel is happy to accept large hen parties, charge them a lot of money & expect the hen party to just put up with below average everything & not care. Not a great experience, I felt it was a huge waste of money & left not only disappointed but annoyed at being made to feel that I should have been happy with what I got. Would never go back to this hotel or recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mary G
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Mary G
First of all I want to thank you and your group for choosing the Hillgrove Hotel Leisure & Spa. I can assure you that we don’t adopt a ‘yeh whatever ‘attitude and we take all customer feedback very seriously. I have spoken to both the Spa Manager and the Restaurant manager about your comments and can only apologise for the below standard service you received. This is certainly not the normal level of service that we expect our guests to receive and I can only apologise for this.

To go through your points, we are delighted that you liked the decor and bedrooms. You mentioned that the package was pricey, having checked your package it included bubbly & chocolates and bathrobes & slippers in your room on arrival, a 4 course evening meal, overnight accommodation based on bed & breakfast, a spa treatment and complimentary use of the hotels leisure facilities. Having compared other 4 star hen venues our prices compare favourably.

Our restaurant menu has just changed over the weekend so unfortunately the menu you viewed online was the old menu and is merely a sample as the menu changes. We offer a selection of 4 starters including confit of duck leg, smoked trout salad, chilled half baby pineapple with summer fruits and soup, 4 mains including steak, duck, supreme of chicken & stuffed aubergine and 4 desserts and hope that this offers ample choice and value for money. I am sorry that our waiting staff did not ask was your meal okay. I have spoken to the restaurant manager and she says that she personally checks all the tables to ensure everything is ok but may not have spoken to each person individually.

Regarding your dessert, our pastry chef prepares everything fresh and the strawberry that you mentioned was a roasted strawberry that had been cooled and used as a garnish on your plate and was definitely not a tinned strawberry! Fresh strawberries are always used and are drizzled in chocolate and used as garnish.
You also mentioned our karaoke entertainment, again I am sorry that this was not to your liking as our hen parties love this and we get constant good feedback.
As a party of 19 you can appreciate that no spa would be able to accommodate your group altogether. The spa manager has said that she went to great lengths to accommodate your groups booking and apologises if this did not meet your expectations. I am delighted that you enjoyed your mini facial so much and can only apologise for you not being able to use the relaxation room. The relaxation room is available to all our spa guests, the thermal suite is an additional charge. We have recently employed a new spa manager and it has taken time for her to become familiar will the expected standard of customer excellence.
I am sorry that our check out staff did not ask if you enjoyed your stay as they normally do and if you look through past reviews on tripadvisor comments you will see this again and again.
I want to assure you that your constructive comments have been taken on board and this has made us aware of some issues we need to address with staff in the spa. We do hope that you will consider returning to us again sometime in the future as we do not like to have dissatisfied guests. If you decide to give us another chance please contact me directly and I will arrange a complimentary upgrade .
Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!