“hillgrove has it all”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Kilkeel, United Kingdom
“hillgrove has it all”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed as a family of 10 6 adults and 4 children aged from 2 to6. At the entrance is the famous pink chair and the bird table. Plenty of parking and entering the hotel is funky and buzzing. Check-in was easy for three families all given the same floor for our birthday celebrations.child friendly is an understatement they had a ball. Children given goody bags at dinner kept them amused. Food was delicious in the bar and in the dining room on the second night. Pool was a success with the rest I didn't go got hair done. All staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were big clean and bathrooms had separate shower and bath.free Wi-Fi worked throughout hotel. Would we go back you bet suits all ages well done all staff.

Room Tip: We had a four poster with a huge window think they are all similar size
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Wow, what can I say.... Just back from a one night stay here with a friend. From the minute we drove in the driveway to when we left, everything was no problem to any member of staff. From booking with Mick a few weeks back to check out I was just delighted to see a hotel so brilliantly ran! Any member of staff we met, greeted us and had time to talk instead of running past! I will very happily return and will be telling my family and friends about this little gem! Keep up the great work!! Thanks!

• Stayed May 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed for three nights on B&B and one dinner basis. Very pleased, room was clean and quite large. Breakfast could be as big or as small as you liked it, great choice. Dinner is now served in the bar area for some reason, but was not a problem. Friendly knowledgable staff and a good atmosphere. Will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bernieapp
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stated in the Hillgrove on a last minute decision. The reception staff were more than friendly and helpful. Happy bubbly girl who oozed quality customer service. Room as comfortable and clean, the bathroom was spotless and well lit up. We ate in the bar and it was very enjoyable. The breakfast in the morning was excellent and the restaurant staff were helpful professional and very friendly. This is not the first time I stated in the hillgrove and it won't be the last. Very good!

• Stayed May 2013
County Tyrone
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I ate here with our young son on May Day Bank Holiday Monday. We live quite close by but have never been here before. We ate in the bar, it was fairly busy but not overwhelmingly so. The menus are actually huge (physically so!) but also had a wide choice of food too. We ordered a bottle of house red which at 23 euros was certainly not cheap but very drinkable. Our son's choice of menu included a meal deal of a free drink and dessert all for 7.95 which was good value. As it was a bank hol, all other special offers weren't applicable on the adult menu. Having ordered,our food arrived very quickly - sometimes this isn't a good thing. My chicken salad was pleasant and but nothing special. I could've sworn it said the chicken came in strips, but mine was presented as a solid lump of a chicken breast which did look a bit unappetising. It tasted fine though. My husband had steak, which was good - the accompanying Dauphinois potatoes thought weren't really what they should be - no cream or garlic as described, rather just slices of potato baked with cheese over them. My son ordered pasta with bolognese sauce off the kids menu - I thought bolognese sauce contained mince so this must've been the vegetarian option as it was just plain tomato with some cheese melted over it.
We ordered desserts - again these were fine, but nothing to write home about.
We did enjoy our meal, but for the total price of our bill and the fact that we were in a 4* star hotel, I would've expected a higher standard. It was all grand, but there are nicer places to eat and I wouldn't feel I had to rush back anytime soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank thornbanks
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Thornbanks
I just wanted to reply to you recent comments on tripadvisor. Firstly I want to thank you for visiting our 4 Star Hotel and we are delighted that you found the choice of menu so good. I am glad that you enjoyed the quality bottle of wine you ordered, which is chosen specifically because we do want to offer quality. You also mentioned the great value meal deal for your child which as you say is excellent value for money. I would just like to point out that it was just a Bolognese sauce, exactly what it stated on the menu and does not contain meat.
Having spoken to the chef the menu does not state strips of chicken but fillet of chicken. I also want to assure you that the dauphinois potatoes are cooked in wine and garlic and then topped with cheese. I am glad that your husband enjoyed his steak. Our menu has been priced very competitively. You said that you did enjoy your meal but I am disappointed that you only gave us a 3.
Kind regards
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

having recently had an overnight stay at the hillgrove i would recommend it to any one to treat themselves the staff where very friendly on welcoming us giving us full details of facilities at the hotel we hope to return sometime soon

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Dodd66
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel so welcome. Looking forward to weloming you back very soon.
Belfast
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and myself stayed at Hillgrove Hotel, midweek for 3 nights, it was our wedding anniversary. We were checked in quite quickly but not given any info on the hotel. Our package contained coffee and scones and fresh fruit in our room. Unfortunately we had to ask about the coffee and no fresh fruit appeared. We found the beds not particularly comfortable and spoke to the lady on reception who said she would change the mattress. Whether this was done or not it didnt really make any difference as the mattress appeared to be of poor quality. The bathroom was excellent and had a proper shower cubicle. On the plus side the staff in the bar/restaurant had great customer service skills and the food was good although there was only a choice of two potatoes and we didnt see any vegtables but nonetheless we enjoyed our meals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 2066Belfast
Thank you for your review and your comments . I recognise that without realising our downfalls it would be impossible for us to improve. I have taken your comments on board about no fresh fruit in the room and have spoken to housekeeping about this matter. I am sorry that you did not receive any information on the hotel, this is highly unusual and certainly completely the opposite to what the next reviewer has said. I will speak to reception about this. I am delighted that you enjoyed the bathrooms and found our bar/restaurant staff so helpful. We pride ourselves on our customer care and standards of service and facilities. I apologise that you did not receive our normal standards and hope this does not deter you from returning to the hotel again.
Kind regards
Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!