“Unforgettable service! A very special weekend”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Dublin
“Unforgettable service! A very special weekend”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I booked the Hillgrove for my sister's hen party and from the get-go the staff were unbelievable in helping me organise the activities. They (particularly Gail and Mike) went above and beyond to help make things very special. They gave us a great welcome and everytime we had a query they were more than happy to help.
The bar staff were fantastic - Chris our waitress made us feel really at home. The food in the bar was fantastic and the murder mystery activity was the BEST CRAIC!!

Thank you Hillgrove Hotel! All 26 hens had a wonderful time. We would not hesitate to go back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Lynchp
Thank you for your review and kind comments on our staff and overall experience. I have passed yuor excellent comments onto the members of staff you have mentioned. We are also delighted that your party enjoyed the Murder Mystery experience as this is one of most popular packages. We hope to welcome you back to the 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel Leisure Centre & Sap soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2013 NEW

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We started by booking a one night stay for €120 B&B including evening meal and two treatments in the spa at €40 each.
We left the hotel and upon our return the fire alarm went off as we were in a lift. The lift then free wheeled down to the ground floor without warning. Understandably some sort of safety feature but some warning would have been good.
We went to our room in the early evening and discovered there was no hot water. I reported same to reception.
We went for our evening meal and were seated in what was a very cold part of the restaurant. The draught from the outside door I was seated at caused my feet to become numb. The menu had a very limited selection but i settled for the vegatable soup & steak to be cooked medium rare. The soup was very salty and tastless. When the steak arrived it was drowning in the sauce that came with it. I was asked was it cooked ok but I couldn't tell with the sauce. The steak in fact was very rare and the combination of the blood from the steak and the sauce made the thing unedible. At this stage we were an hour and 5 minutes having the two courses and we couldn't stick the cold any longer so we left before we received dessert. I made a complaint to a staff member in the restaurant as we left.
We returned to our room to find the water issue had finally been resolved. That night and despite my having turned off the radiators the room was so warm it was hard to sleep. Even the windows which were restricted to be opened were of little use.
The next morning the breakfast was perfect.
We checked out at reception where I informed the receptionist of our complaints. Having already gone through numerous ordeals we decided to cancel our spa treatments. We went to the leisure centre reception and the staff member was unable to take out cancelation. He went and got another colleague who also couldn't take our cancellation. My fiancé finally met the spa manager and was informed we'd have to pay for the cancelation. She refused, highlighted our problems with the hotel and the manager waived the charges. My fiancé was not impressed with the attitude of the manager, nor the sheer number of people she had to talk to in order to cancel the appointments. Upon our checking out it would have been helpful if we were refered to a manager to discuss our complaints but this was not offered.

I could accept anyone of these problems on their own but the whole stay was a disaster.
We are recently engaged and in the market for the a wedding venue, and I can guarantee you we won't be returning to the Hilgrove.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Enday2k
Hi Enday2k

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments as without them we can not improve our customer experience. I am trying to look into the issues you have raised regarding the draft in the restaurant and the temperature in the room so if you could let me know the date you arrived we can investigate this matter fully. I want you to know that we treat all comments very seriously.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast and that we resolved the hot water issue so promptly.

I hope that we can get another chance to welcome you back to the Hillgrove Hotel so I would appreciate the information requested so that I can look into this matter.

Thanks
Belfast
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I normally try to find the positive in every review I do, so ill start with one; the wine I ordered with my meal was lovely.

We visited Hillgrove for something to eat this evening (20/3/13). When we walked in the hotel seemed quiet. We approached the receptionist who told us to go into the bar for food.

We seated ourselves and it wasn't long until we were approached by a very enthusiastic male (we assumed he was the supervisor or duty manager). He told us about the current 3 courses for 19.95E option so we decided on that.

We were very suprised about how quick our starters arrived; a mere 3-5 minutes after ordering. My fiancé enjoyed a smoked chicken Caesar salad while I had asked for soup of the day which I was told was cream of veg (they seemed to be worried that I was Celiac but I just don't like veg broth).
On tucking into my soup I was suprised to find strands of chicken and I asked my fiancé to taste my soup in case I had gone crazy (horse meat may have affected my brain) but he agreed. Not wanting to create a fuss (I assumed because it was country style this may have included chicken) I decided not to comment.

The next course however proved to be the proverbial nail in the coffin. We had remarked that when we had ordered from "the grill" that we had to prompt the waitress for how we would like our steak cooked.
I ordered the "Philly Steak" which was advertised as "Savoury Strips of Sirloin". When it arrived it was presented well and was piping hot and I was looking forward to tucking into it; however to my surprise the "strips" were very crumbly, very sweet and tasted like stewing steak. When the waitress came over and asked was everything ok I explained this to her. She offered me a replacement; but by this stage my fiancé has nearly finished his and I didn't want to eat on my own. The duty manager approached us about 5 minutes later and assured me that it was definitely sirloin, but mine had just been "stewed a lot more than my fiances". He again offered me a replacement but I declined. There was no apology offered from either the waitress or the DM. The Philly steak remained untouched.

When my fiancé went to pay I was extremely suprised to find that we were not comped even a drink in spite of not enjoying the meal or offered an apology. We were also disappointed at how quick the turn around was between starters and our dessert; 3 courses within around 30 minutes.

Overall I was very disappointed by this when I had high expectations. I wouldn't recommend the bar for something to eat but perhaps my mind may change in the future.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank bubblyangel
Dear bubblyangel

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal in our bar as we generally get very good comments on both the quality and quantity of our menu. I am also sorry that our staff did not apologise for your experience.

I am, however, delighted that you found the service in the restaurant so prompt. Our staff on 2 occasions did offer you a replacement main meal which you declined. I hope that you decide to come back to the Hillgrove as we appreciate your comments and custom.

Thanks

N.Ireland
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked a girly pamper package for myself, mother and sister for mothers day. The room was very basic and noisey as it was on the ground floor and close to the bar. The spa was very basic and there was an extra €10 charge per person to use the thermal suite even though we had already paid for treatments in the spa. The treatments were very quick and very poor, it was also noisey, not the best setting for relaxation. The best part of our stay was the dinner which was first class and the service was great, we would come back just for the dinner. Breakfast was not as good, it was buffet style so plenty of queuing, not what i would expect from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pinkfrizz
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Pinkfrizz

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments on our food and service. I am sorry to read that you feel we are overpriced. We have reduced our rates considerably over the past few years to survive these difficult times. I can assure you that you are getting excellent value for money for the facilities and services we provide. You state that the rooms are basic, yet they are all newly decorated and have all the facilities of 4 star rooms. I do appreciate that there may have been noise from the bar over a busy weekend, but this would not have went on too late, as our resident's bar is away from any bedrooms. I apologise if your stay was disturbed by noise. As for the noise in our spa, our spa is a quiet area and our staff ensure peace and quiet prevails there. It is situated at the very back of the building, is sound proofed and away from the rest of the Hotel and leads out onto fields. As in every Hotel, breakfast is busy at certain times, usually around 10am. Thank you again for your review.

Audri Herron
Proprietor
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We are just back from staying a night in the hillgrove hotel and it was a lovely break away.
The strongest thought I left with was how helpful and genuinely nice every single member of staff was, they couldn't of got nicer staff!
We booked a package which was excellent value for money which included a set four course meal and breakfast in the morning, being vegetarian there was only one option on the menu for me which included goats cheese which I can't take and the staff were more than helpful and happy to change the dish to suit my requirements.
The leisure facilities were absoloutley brilliant with everything you would need, we were welcome to use these facilities even after we had checked out of the hotel which was good as the night before the leisure centre closed early due to a bank holiday
I would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and family and think the staff should get great praise for the standard of service they have achieved!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linzi W
Dear Linzi W

Thank you for your review and excellent comments. We are very pleased that our packages are seen as excellent value for money as this is what we are striving to acheive without affecting the quality of the product. I am also delighted that our staff made you feel so welcome and that you enjoyed our 4 star leisure facilites so much.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards
Belfast, Co Antrim
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay here with my husband. Staff very friendly at checkin and we were allocated a lovely spacious room overlooking the cathedral on the top floor. Spent the afternoon in the pool area, which included a jacuzzi, steam room and outdoor hot tub. All areas were very clean and well maintained, as were the changing rooms. We had lunch at the hotel on arrival and breakfast the following day -food was great on both occasions! The hotel is within easy walking distance of the town. Would definitely stay again and considering what we paid, it was great value for money.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LJ76
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear LJ76

Thank you for your review and kind comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at he Hillgrove Hotel. We are also delighted that you found our leisure centre excellent as this is what we strive to achieve.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed both your room and also food. You are correct , our aim is to provide value for money to our clients without affecting the quality of what we offer.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel and hope to see you soon.

Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed in the Hillgrove Hotel and found all facilities and the food excellent. Unfortunately I was feeling unwell at one stage of my visit and required a doctor. I can't thank the staff enough for ringing the out of office doctor and for being so helpful. The same day in the afternoon after leaving the hotel I received a phone call from a staff member of the reception enquiring about my well being. I found the entire stay at the Hillgrove Hotel exceptional and think many other staff members of other hotels should take this honest caring about customers as 'the' sample for real customer care.Again Thank You!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ulrich S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!