I normally try to find the positive in every review I do, so ill start with one; the wine I ordered with my meal was lovely.
We visited Hillgrove for something to eat this evening (20/3/13). When we walked in the hotel seemed quiet. We approached the receptionist who told us to go into the bar for food.
We seated ourselves and it wasn't long until we were approached by a very enthusiastic male (we assumed he was the supervisor or duty manager). He told us about the current 3 courses for 19.95E option so we decided on that.
We were very suprised about how quick our starters arrived; a mere 3-5 minutes after ordering. My fiancé enjoyed a smoked chicken Caesar salad while I had asked for soup of the day which I was told was cream of veg (they seemed to be worried that I was Celiac but I just don't like veg broth).
On tucking into my soup I was suprised to find strands of chicken and I asked my fiancé to taste my soup in case I had gone crazy (horse meat may have affected my brain) but he agreed. Not wanting to create a fuss (I assumed because it was country style this may have included chicken) I decided not to comment.
The next course however proved to be the proverbial nail in the coffin. We had remarked that when we had ordered from "the grill" that we had to prompt the waitress for how we would like our steak cooked.
I ordered the "Philly Steak" which was advertised as "Savoury Strips of Sirloin". When it arrived it was presented well and was piping hot and I was looking forward to tucking into it; however to my surprise the "strips" were very crumbly, very sweet and tasted like stewing steak. When the waitress came over and asked was everything ok I explained this to her. She offered me a replacement; but by this stage my fiancé has nearly finished his and I didn't want to eat on my own. The duty manager approached us about 5 minutes later and assured me that it was definitely sirloin, but mine had just been "stewed a lot more than my fiances". He again offered me a replacement but I declined. There was no apology offered from either the waitress or the DM. The Philly steak remained untouched.
When my fiancé went to pay I was extremely suprised to find that we were not comped even a drink in spite of not enjoying the meal or offered an apology. We were also disappointed at how quick the turn around was between starters and our dessert; 3 courses within around 30 minutes.
Overall I was very disappointed by this when I had high expectations. I wouldn't recommend the bar for something to eat but perhaps my mind may change in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 'Majestically Magical' 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa is the ideal location for fabulous break away. Less than an hour's drive from Belfast and Dublin the Hotel boasts 87 beautifully decorated bedrooms, including Suites with Jacuzzis. Enjoy their fabulous Leisure Club with Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Steam Room, Sauna, Gym & Outdoor Hot Tub. You will love their luxurious Lir Spa & Wellness Centre and Hair at Hillgrove Hair Salon. The Hotel also has a superb Restaurant, Bistro, Bars, Banqueting Suites & Conference Centre. Specialising in Girlie Breaks, Murder Mysteries, Spa Packages and Family Breaks. 7 hours Free Kids Club every weekend and daily during school holidays. Bouncy Castle, Games Room, Play Areas & Outdoor Playground. Walking distance from Monaghan Town. The Hillgrove Hotel has been Awarded as the Number One Family Hotel in Ireland, Ulster's Best Wedding Venue, is Tripadvisor's Number 1 Hotel in Monaghan and in Top 25 Hotels in Ireland. Indulge and Enjoy! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure And Spa
- Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure Hotel Monaghan
- Hillgrove Hotel Monaghan