“Knuttel Bar Food; Very disappointed.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Belfast
“Knuttel Bar Food; Very disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I normally try to find the positive in every review I do, so ill start with one; the wine I ordered with my meal was lovely.

We visited Hillgrove for something to eat this evening (20/3/13). When we walked in the hotel seemed quiet. We approached the receptionist who told us to go into the bar for food.

We seated ourselves and it wasn't long until we were approached by a very enthusiastic male (we assumed he was the supervisor or duty manager). He told us about the current 3 courses for 19.95E option so we decided on that.

We were very suprised about how quick our starters arrived; a mere 3-5 minutes after ordering. My fiancé enjoyed a smoked chicken Caesar salad while I had asked for soup of the day which I was told was cream of veg (they seemed to be worried that I was Celiac but I just don't like veg broth).
On tucking into my soup I was suprised to find strands of chicken and I asked my fiancé to taste my soup in case I had gone crazy (horse meat may have affected my brain) but he agreed. Not wanting to create a fuss (I assumed because it was country style this may have included chicken) I decided not to comment.

The next course however proved to be the proverbial nail in the coffin. We had remarked that when we had ordered from "the grill" that we had to prompt the waitress for how we would like our steak cooked.
I ordered the "Philly Steak" which was advertised as "Savoury Strips of Sirloin". When it arrived it was presented well and was piping hot and I was looking forward to tucking into it; however to my surprise the "strips" were very crumbly, very sweet and tasted like stewing steak. When the waitress came over and asked was everything ok I explained this to her. She offered me a replacement; but by this stage my fiancé has nearly finished his and I didn't want to eat on my own. The duty manager approached us about 5 minutes later and assured me that it was definitely sirloin, but mine had just been "stewed a lot more than my fiances". He again offered me a replacement but I declined. There was no apology offered from either the waitress or the DM. The Philly steak remained untouched.

When my fiancé went to pay I was extremely suprised to find that we were not comped even a drink in spite of not enjoying the meal or offered an apology. We were also disappointed at how quick the turn around was between starters and our dessert; 3 courses within around 30 minutes.

Overall I was very disappointed by this when I had high expectations. I wouldn't recommend the bar for something to eat but perhaps my mind may change in the future.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank bubblyangel
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear bubblyangel

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal in our bar as we generally get very good comments on both the quality and quantity of our menu. I am also sorry that our staff did not apologise for your experience.

I am, however, delighted that you found the service in the restaurant so prompt. Our staff on 2 occasions did offer you a replacement main meal which you declined. I hope that you decide to come back to the Hillgrove as we appreciate your comments and custom.

Thanks

Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
N.Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked a girly pamper package for myself, mother and sister for mothers day. The room was very basic and noisey as it was on the ground floor and close to the bar. The spa was very basic and there was an extra €10 charge per person to use the thermal suite even though we had already paid for treatments in the spa. The treatments were very quick and very poor, it was also noisey, not the best setting for relaxation. The best part of our stay was the dinner which was first class and the service was great, we would come back just for the dinner. Breakfast was not as good, it was buffet style so plenty of queuing, not what i would expect from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pinkfrizz
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Pinkfrizz

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments on our food and service. I am sorry to read that you feel we are overpriced. We have reduced our rates considerably over the past few years to survive these difficult times. I can assure you that you are getting excellent value for money for the facilities and services we provide. You state that the rooms are basic, yet they are all newly decorated and have all the facilities of 4 star rooms. I do appreciate that there may have been noise from the bar over a busy weekend, but this would not have went on too late, as our resident's bar is away from any bedrooms. I apologise if your stay was disturbed by noise. As for the noise in our spa, our spa is a quiet area and our staff ensure peace and quiet prevails there. It is situated at the very back of the building, is sound proofed and away from the rest of the Hotel and leads out onto fields. As in every Hotel, breakfast is busy at certain times, usually around 10am. Thank you again for your review.

Audri Herron
Proprietor
Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We are just back from staying a night in the hillgrove hotel and it was a lovely break away.
The strongest thought I left with was how helpful and genuinely nice every single member of staff was, they couldn't of got nicer staff!
We booked a package which was excellent value for money which included a set four course meal and breakfast in the morning, being vegetarian there was only one option on the menu for me which included goats cheese which I can't take and the staff were more than helpful and happy to change the dish to suit my requirements.
The leisure facilities were absoloutley brilliant with everything you would need, we were welcome to use these facilities even after we had checked out of the hotel which was good as the night before the leisure centre closed early due to a bank holiday
I would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and family and think the staff should get great praise for the standard of service they have achieved!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linzi W
Dear Linzi W

Thank you for your review and excellent comments. We are very pleased that our packages are seen as excellent value for money as this is what we are striving to acheive without affecting the quality of the product. I am also delighted that our staff made you feel so welcome and that you enjoyed our 4 star leisure facilites so much.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards
Belfast, Co Antrim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay here with my husband. Staff very friendly at checkin and we were allocated a lovely spacious room overlooking the cathedral on the top floor. Spent the afternoon in the pool area, which included a jacuzzi, steam room and outdoor hot tub. All areas were very clean and well maintained, as were the changing rooms. We had lunch at the hotel on arrival and breakfast the following day -food was great on both occasions! The hotel is within easy walking distance of the town. Would definitely stay again and considering what we paid, it was great value for money.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LJ76
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Director of Sales at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear LJ76

Thank you for your review and kind comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at he Hillgrove Hotel. We are also delighted that you found our leisure centre excellent as this is what we strive to achieve.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed both your room and also food. You are correct , our aim is to provide value for money to our clients without affecting the quality of what we offer.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel and hope to see you soon.

Killarney, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed in the Hillgrove Hotel and found all facilities and the food excellent. Unfortunately I was feeling unwell at one stage of my visit and required a doctor. I can't thank the staff enough for ringing the out of office doctor and for being so helpful. The same day in the afternoon after leaving the hotel I received a phone call from a staff member of the reception enquiring about my well being. I found the entire stay at the Hillgrove Hotel exceptional and think many other staff members of other hotels should take this honest caring about customers as 'the' sample for real customer care.Again Thank You!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ulrich S
Lisburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here on at Saturday night at the start of March. We cheekily arrived well before the advertised checkin time of 4pm on the off chance our room would be ready. luckily it was which was a nice start to the break. The receptionist was lovely and very welcoming. I was with my husband and 3 year old son so we had a family room. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was huge too. The beds were very comfortable.
The pool area was great and we made use of it twice during the stay. I was a little annoyed that guests were not able to use the hydrotherapy aspects of the spa without paying a considerable extra sum. Any spa hotel I have stayed at before has included this in the room rate. Unfortunately i couldn't justify the extra cost so I can't comment on the hydrotherapy facilities.
We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate and were not at all impressed with the food. However, the restaurant was well decorated and the staff were very friendly. We had felt a little nervous about arriving for dinner with a three year old but he was welcomed to the restaurant and given a colouring pack to keep him occupied.
The quality of the food just didn't live up to the surroundings. I had a goats cheese tart for a starter. There was very little goats cheese and it was overwhelmed with an overly sweet jam. The rest of the dinner was better but nothing wowed me. Breakfast was very average with no great selection beyond your usual cereals and fry. There didn't appear to be any fresh fruit available, nor were there any cheeses or pastries.
The great disappointment of the trip for us was the children's play room. This was the attraction which had persuaded us to book the Hillgrove. Unfortunately what we had thought was the play room from pictures on the website was in fact the creche which is only open for two hours on a friday. The actually play room was a room with a pay pool table and lots of those grab a toy/ ride on pay machines that you find in supermarkets. It also had a pile of broken plastic toys in the corner. The room appeared to be a revenue generating thing for the hotel rather than a friendly service provided to maximise the enjoyment of families staying in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bronagh80
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Bronagh80

Thank you for your recent review. I would firstly like to thank you for your compliments on our staff, bedrooms, pool, restaurant and how your son was so well looked after and welcomed.

Regarding use of the spa, Hotel guests, have full use of our leisure club, which has a swimming pool, feature pool, children's pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, gym and outdoor hot tub. Our spa is a more exclusive area, for which we charge accordingly. This is stated on all our literature etc. I am sorry that you did not find our food to your taste and that it did not "wow" you. With regard to the Games Room, we have found that a lot of families love our games room. However, we agree that it could certainly to with an upgrade. We are in the process of renovating two new Games rooms and we are also building a children's playground outside, which with all be open very soon. I hope you decide to come back to the Hillgrove and experience our new facilities. Thank you for your feedback.

Audri Herron
Proprietor
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here recently for one night.

The hotel itself is well located being about a ten minute walk from the town centre.

The rooms were quite spacious with a very nice, new modern bathroom.

We used the Leisure Centre, unfortunately the steam room was not quite functioning properly, however, we were informed of this before we went in. The pool was nice and refreshing and the outdoor hot tub was lovely and warm.

Great Hotel all round

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cobtageorge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
Armagh City Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 1 in Armagh

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!