“Lovely Homely Hotel”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
“Lovely Homely Hotel”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had a lovely weekend break at this hotel which was recommended by a friend.

The Hillgrove is an older hotel which has been renovated and modernly decorated.

The staff at this hotel are so lovely, every one of them, nothing is a problem and they are so friendly, I do not think I have ever come across nicer staff.

We we given lovely rooms with four poster beds as a request for my brother's birthday which I had advised them off at the time of booking, it was nice that the hotel acted on my request and provided the rooms. The rooms are lovely, modern, clean, spacious, lovely bathroom and we felt very comfy and at home. The hotel was also very quiet at night.

The food is really good both in the bar and the restaurant. We received a four course evening meal as part of our break which was excellent value for what we got with plenty of food and it was not a problem if we wanted more sides etc. I thought the cooked breakfast was just okay but there was a good selection of food available.

The Spa is quite small and is nice enough but I have seen a lot nicer. The treatments however were excellent and so were the staff and the treatments were not the most expensive. The pool was a nice temperature.

Very close to town of Monaghan which is good.

Overall we had a lovely weekend and would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: There seems to be a new wing in this hotel and we were given rooms with four poster beds - 804 and 8...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My boyfriend and i stayed at the hillgrove last week or two nights. We got a brilliant deal online. Worth every penny, plus more! Staff really nice at reception and our room was really big an spacious, really nice! And the bathroom was lovely. Breakfast was absolutely amazing and waitresses were great. The pool was fab and that outdoor jacuzzi was UNBELIVABLE!! Especially as it was lashing down. The bar was nice and again, staff were brill. They make a really tasty cosmopolitan. We had dinner both nights in the bar. OMG is all i can say! :) food was gorgeousss!!! I would 100% recommend this hotel. Really modern and relaxing in every way. Not a bad thing about it. Lookin forward to returning

• Stayed January 2013
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed one night on business and managed to have an hour in the pool / hot tub / sauna etc and had a very relaxing opportunity. Spa treatments were fully booked so I will remember to pre book next time. The large room and bathroom with separate shower and bath was great and the bar food (3 course special for €20) was superb! A nice range of wines available. After a good nights sleep breakfast was just the thing to prepare me for the snow.

Room Tip: As high as is available improves the view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2013

myself and my boyfriend were at a wedding there in december.. we travelled up from galway. after check in we decided we would go down to the restaurant for some lunch.. there is absolutely nothing to fault the staff,food,atmosphere,quality of anything in the restaurant! the two ladies that served me a baileys hot choc inparticularly friendly,very chatty and cheerful!! there is any facility you would need here - ie hairdressers came in handy!!
the room we had was massive,very comfy!the shower was top class.
the staff on at the function were so quick and on the ball with anything we requested at the table! will definately be back,great value for money and extremely relaxing experience!

• Stayed December 2012
Dublin
Reviewed January 22, 2013

A group of us went last weekend to a Murder Mystery Weekend and had a really good time. The rooms are nice, clean and the bed is really good. The food was ok, the Murder Mystery Dinner was good fun, 27 people and every one joined in which made the evening enjoyable and we got to meet lots of people.The Chief was quite happy to cook eggs the way you wanted them which is most unusual.

The Hotels best asset are the staff!! They were so friendly. Mike on Reception was super and found a jacket for me as part of my costume when I forgot mine. Several staff stopped us on Sunday to see how we had enjoyed the Murder, and were delighted to hear we enjoyed it.

This hotel was great value and worth another visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Offaly
Reviewed January 21, 2013

stayed 18 to 20 jan very disappointed, our room looked onto building work and was not very nice. I complained and was moved to 3rd floor. The room was a little better but there was a really bad smell out on the hall, we could hear a humming noise all night like a generator. I had looked forward to the weekend for ages and it fell very short of my expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pallyan
HotelOwnerMonaghan, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Pallyan

Thanks for your review, which I was disappointed to read. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your experience at the Hillgrove. Yes, we are putting in an abstract garden with fountains at the front of the Hotel. As you could hopefully see from our premises, we renovate and improve constantly, to keep the hotel fresh and modern and well maintained. I am so sorry about the smell, which was caused by the digging work when putting in the fountains. I would love if you would return to us and give us another chance. I would be more than happy to upgrade your room on your next stay with my compliments, so you can experience our normal levels of fabulousness and four star standards. Please contact me directly, if you decide to give us another chance. Thank you

Audri Herron
Proprietor
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Aisling Milliken - Crumlin (07/01/13)

I have stayed in the hotel a few times and always enjoy a great stay. The hotel is ideal for a relaxing family break and the Kids club is excellent. Staff are extremely helpful and we will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!