Myself and my friend took my 3 year old daughter to the Hillgrove for the May bank holiday. Initially, we had booked for 2 nights. We arrived Sunday afternoon, had a very boring lunch in the bar which has an extremely restricted menu and no offer or sign of a kids menu at all. Service was quite slow and the food was completely dull when it arrived.
We got checked into our room which was nice and clean, large with a double and 2 single beds, good family sized room with nice bathroom and great shower. Only gripe about the room was that the hairdryer in the bathroom was completely useless, we read that hairdryers were supplied in rooms so we didnt bother bringing our own,big mistake!! secondly, TV channels are basic which is no good for kids in a supposedly child-friendly hotel. I know that noone goes to a hotel to watch TV but anyone with children will agree that even a DVD player would come in handy for the times when adults are getting ready and children are needing amused in the room.
The biggest disappointment was the 'playroom'. i had seen the photo online of what the kids room looked like....i would like to know where this colourful room is and where the ball pit is!!! the real room is pitiful. there was nothing of interest for a 3 year old. not even books or colouring in. there was a pool table, ancient Foosball table and an array of disfunctional plastic pieces which were obviously toys at one stage. we literally walked in and walked out again.
Only option was the pool. facilities are lovely and clean and staff are helpful and friendly but despite this, we cancelled our second night and headed home after one night.
i have family members who have stayed here a few times and enjoyed it, but for young children I found it to be disappointing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 'Majestically Magical' 4 Star Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa is the ideal location for fabulous break away. Less than an hour's drive from Belfast and Dublin the Hotel boasts 87 beautifully decorated bedrooms, including Suites with Jacuzzis. Enjoy their fabulous Leisure Club with Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Steam Room, Sauna, Gym & Outdoor Hot Tub. You will love their luxurious Lir Spa & Wellness Centre and Hair at Hillgrove Hair Salon. The Hotel also has a superb Restaurant, Bistro, Bars, Banqueting Suites & Conference Centre. Specialising in Girlie Breaks, Murder Mysteries, Spa Packages and Family Breaks. 7 hours Free Kids Club every weekend and daily during school holidays. Bouncy Castle, Games Room, Play Areas & Outdoor Playground. Walking distance from Monaghan Town. The Hillgrove Hotel has been Awarded as the Number One Family Hotel in Ireland, Ulster's Best Wedding Venue, is Tripadvisor's Number 1 Hotel in Monaghan and in Top 25 Hotels in Ireland. Indulge and Enjoy! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure And Spa
- Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure Hotel Monaghan
- Hillgrove Hotel Monaghan