“disappointing for children!”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Myself and my friend took my 3 year old daughter to the Hillgrove for the May bank holiday. Initially, we had booked for 2 nights. We arrived Sunday afternoon, had a very boring lunch in the bar which has an extremely restricted menu and no offer or sign of a kids menu at all. Service was quite slow and the food was completely dull when it arrived.
We got checked into our room which was nice and clean, large with a double and 2 single beds, good family sized room with nice bathroom and great shower. Only gripe about the room was that the hairdryer in the bathroom was completely useless, we read that hairdryers were supplied in rooms so we didnt bother bringing our own,big mistake!! secondly, TV channels are basic which is no good for kids in a supposedly child-friendly hotel. I know that noone goes to a hotel to watch TV but anyone with children will agree that even a DVD player would come in handy for the times when adults are getting ready and children are needing amused in the room.
The biggest disappointment was the 'playroom'. i had seen the photo online of what the kids room looked like....i would like to know where this colourful room is and where the ball pit is!!! the real room is pitiful. there was nothing of interest for a 3 year old. not even books or colouring in. there was a pool table, ancient Foosball table and an array of disfunctional plastic pieces which were obviously toys at one stage. we literally walked in and walked out again.
Only option was the pool. facilities are lovely and clean and staff are helpful and friendly but despite this, we cancelled our second night and headed home after one night.
i have family members who have stayed here a few times and enjoyed it, but for young children I found it to be disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dubchic
LexieTravels, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear 'dubchic'

Thank you for your review, which obviously I was disappointed to read. I would like to point out a few things regarding your review. I accept that service may have been slow, It seems that you were with us at a very busy time, when you talk about the food being slow, your room not being ready for you and the table you sat at being dirty. Here at the Hillgrove Hotel cleanliness and hygiene are paramount to us. I apologise that your table was dirty, and I believe it would have been left spotless when staff had a chance to get to it. I also apologise for the fact, your food was slow, as staff were obviously very busy and under pressure. Regarding the 'boring' bistro bar menu and lack of a Children's menu, I was a bit miffed to read that to be honest, considering that menu includes 8 starters, 17 main courses and 5 deserts to choose from. And the Children's Menu includes 8 main courses and 5 desserts. All encompassed in a 12 page menu. Regarding our Games Room, the photo you saw on-line with the ball pit, is in our Leisure Wing. You are describing our Games Room which is on the same level as the lobby. We have kids club on twice daily, a Magic show every week in School holidays, a bouncy castle and face painting on a Sunday, and lots more. We do pride ourselves in being very family friendly and I am sorry that you did not consider us so. Again, I apologise for the slow service and dirty table you encountered and I do hope you will return to the Hillgrove Hotel again in the future and give us another chance. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments on our hotel regarding your room, shower, our leisure club, staff etc.

Yours sincerely

Proprietor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed here last weekend with 13 other hot ladies (our mothers & daughters yearly spa weekend) and I must say it has been my most favourite spa hotel I've stayed in so far!!
On arrival all rooms were ready so we were checked in immediately, ALL staff were thoroughly happy, made us feel very welcome and could not do enough for us. From past experience having attentive & pleasant staff makes your stay in a hotel SO much more enjoyable!!
The food was gorgeous, great choice for all (drinks choice wasn't bad either).

We booked the girlie pamper package and everyone LOVED the champagne, chocs, bathrobes & slippers in our rooms! The spa was so relaxing, loved both my treatments aswel as the relaxation room & the outdoor hot tub was AMAZING!! Again the staff were all very pleasant and I didn't feel rushed at all.

I also noticed that this hotel seemed to cater for everyone with little things like ramps & lifts for buggies / wheelchairs, brail on the door signs etc & for us ladies the bedrooms had upside down sockets for our ghd's and the likes - Very important!! :-)

Needless to say I will definitely be back (before the year is out if i can help it!!!)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank gilldon08

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Hillgrove Hotel. We really appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hillgrove in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 4, 2012

We visited the hotel having stayed many times before hoping for the usual high standard we had previously experienced..but only to be a little disappointed to be honest. On check in we were given a room in the old part of the hotel, which looks ancient and totally dated now-especially compared with the new areas!when went to the room it was still dirty and unserviced from previous guests. we went back to reception-the girl on check in appologised and asked us to wait. We sat at the only free table in the lounge which was also FILTHY! a childs sucked lollipop, crisps, half full glasses and under the couches were like a rubbish tip. In the 20 mins we waited no--one approached us to clean it/offer us a drink/tea/coffee etc. We were given a different room-again, very dated!awful orange decor and a bathroom straight from the 80s.also we could clearly hear the family next door chatting and children crying etc.the porter service must have been done away with as we weren't offered help either time with our many bags which would never have been the case here in our previous experiences.we went to the bar for lunch and while the staff were helpful and friendly the food was painfully slow to arrive. We didnt mind too much as we were there to relax but a wait of 50-mins for bar food lunch is pushing it a bit, I think! We dined in the restaurant that night. nice food and lovely staff and the same the next morning for breakfast all in all we enjoyed it but not as much as other times and the little touches of a good four star seem to be lacking!

Room Tip: ask for a new room...the old ones are nothing short of awful!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank marvillyroo
LexieTravels, Owner at Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Thank you for your review, which obviously I was disappointed to read. We do indeed have an older wing in the Hotel, but this wing has been decorated in the last couple of years and all of the furniture and furnishings are only 2 years old. The newer part of the hotel is more funky and modern in decor. I apologise you felt disappointed with the room you were allocated. Also, I apologise that you were not offered porter service, we would certainly have organised this for you on request. When you mention the delay on your food, and your room not being ready for you and the table you sat at being dirty, I assume you must have been with us at a very busy time. Here at the Hillgrove Hotel cleanliness and hygiene are paramount to us. I apologise that your table was dirty, and I believe it would have been left spotless when staff had a chance to get to it. Again, please accept my apologies for this. As we all know, we are in the middle of a recession and we do try to save money where possible, but I assure you that we are still investing heavily in our Hotel and it's services and are constantly renovating and improving. I would like to thank you for your kind comments on our Bar staff being helpful and friendly and also on our restaurant staff and our food. I hope you will return to the Hillgrove Hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Excellent location to town centre and close to the Cathedral. Good welcome at reception. Very happy with spacious room. TV could be upgraded. Great service in the diningroom. Topclass food. Cleaning personnel could attempt to greet. Excellent weekend experience. Will return.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph G

Dear Joseph G
Thank you for your review and for your kind comments regarding our location, welcome, rooms, service, food and your entire weekend. We are delighted that you will return to the Hillgrove Hotel again. We certainly take your comments on board about the TV's. Over half our tv's have been upgraded and we plan to have them all done before the Saorview network comes in. We have also spoken to our Housekeeping staff and encouraged them to greet our Guests. Thanks a million again. Kind regards, Audri Herron, Proprietor

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We booked and were promised a large family room, but ended up with a much inferior room in a dingy area of the hotel. We complained and were promised an upgrade of room but this never happened. Hotel reception staff misled us and tried to pull the wool over our eyes with excuses.We tried to get one matter re a tv sorted out on night one and reported it to Reception staff. A member of staff subsequently called to our room said he would be back but never came back. When we reported this to the receptionist next morning, it was just laughed off and there was no apology forthcoming. That said the food was lovely and the dining room staff were very helpful and kind.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Helen F

Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to read your review and I assure you I will be investigating this fully. These are not the normal standards of service we offer our customers. You should certainly have been allocated the Family room you had booked and also you should have been moved when you were not happy. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the poor service you received. Kind regards, Audri Herron, Proprietor

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights over the Easter Break. We were looking for a family and purse friendly hotel and we found it!! This hotel is really orientated towards families...had it been me and my husband without the kids, I wouldn't go near the place!! But that depends on what you want. When we get away by ourselves we would rather pick adult friendly hotels.! The staff were all very good with children and made a special effort with them. There was a 'kids club', bouncy castle, movies in the evening, swimming pool, magican and face painting. There is a games room but stay clear..will cost you a fortune. My 5 year old and 2 year old had a great time..

The food was okay to good.. Breakfast was good but the resturant had the same set menu the 3 nights we were there and the bar only did 1 special in addition to the set menu so was a bit limited. The usual for kids..chicken nuggets, chips, sausages. Irish hotels in general need to cop on to the fact that some kids like real food ..stir frys...pasta etc..The rooms were very clean and adequate..decor a bit tired and dated, but for what we paid I didn't expect it to be top class. I had plenty of time to relax while the kids were bouncing on the castle and overall it was a really great break away. There is not much to do in Monaghan on rainy days but our two were happy in the hotel so that didn't bother us. Armagh town is very near and seems to have lots of attractions.

Would I go back? For what we wanted and for the price we paid..I will go back!! Suggestions for improvement. They need to revamp their food menus and re vamp the bedrooms eventually. Get rid of the games or most of them that you have to pour money into and get in some toys, books, jigsaws, kids tv etc..

If you are going make sure to bring pool shoes for everyone and hats. They are totally strict on this and we ended up having to buy slippers and a hats.

Room Tip: We were in the old part of the hotel..I think the rooms in the new part of the hotel were probably a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LizM75_11
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was the third time I have stayed at the Hillgrove and it continues to be excellent value for a short break. The rooms are spacious, the food is delicious and the leisure centre is excellent - the outdoor hot-tub on a fresh, clear, spring morning is just glorious. The staff are delighful - efficient, friendly and funny. All the ingredients one could wish for in a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank frequentflyer97
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
Cavan Crystal Hotel
Cavan Crystal Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cavan
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!