“Fab hotel”

Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monaghan
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed for a weekend on great internet deal. Rooms modern and spacious. No need to leave the hotel, we took full advantage of all the facilities. Spa and hairdressers both gave first class service. Food in the hotel was good value and very tasty. Bar had fantasic atmosphere. we encountered several weddings and lots of high spirited people and had no problems with excessive noise during our stay. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Our stay at The Hillgrove Hotel was wonderful. Every member of staff we encountered was very pleasant and helpful; nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The décor throughout is vibrant and welcoming. Our family room was very clean, spacious and well furnished, the en-suite bathroom having a shower and separate bath. The beds were very comfortable also. After our long drive my 13 year old was thrilled to find a decent size pool available, I was delighted with the sauna and indoor hot tub but was not brave enough to try the outdoor one. We stayed only one night and after generously portioned and varied breakfast we returned to the pool! The Hillgrove Hotel is well situated for shopping in both Enniskillen and Newry I would highly and confidently recommend it to all.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Went to monaghan to a wedding which was in the four seasons hotel but alas fully booked. Rang for a booking here and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Room to front of hotel close to road but no road noise but church bells in morning from the early hours .
Room excellent and so were staff and facilities.Definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: all rooms seem to be ok.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed at the Hillgrove this weekend over the New Year, so sad to go home! I don't know where to begin; the staff and I mean all staff (bar men/women, receptionists, leisure centre workers, chefs, waiters and cleaners) are so pleasant, every single one of them. Some hotels I go to the staff are crabby but not at The Hillgrove, the staff chat and have a laugh with you: This is what you want.

The food at the Hillgrove is fabulous, the breakfast, lunch and the dinner. They are all beautiful!

The pool and leisure at the Hillgrove is brilliant, outdoor hubtubs, jacuzzis, saunas and steam rooms. They are all so clean and modern!

The rooms at the Hillgrove are very clean and tidy! When we arrived there was chocolates on the bed! The rooms can be heated very quickly with the turn of a knob!!

I would strongly reccoment the Hillgrove to families and also people who can have a bit of crack!

Thank you The Hillgrove - I had a brilliant time!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I recently spent one night in the Hillgrove Hotel, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Rooms: Spotless and fresh, new furnishings, adjustable rads (exactly what you want to see on a cold and rainy December night), huge bed (three pillows wide), and a gorgeous bathroom with both a walk-in shower and a lovely bathtub. Total comfort.

Hotel: Obviously a popular place for the locals to eat and socialize, with young couples and families with young children around the restaurant and bar areas. However, it was not rowdy or noisy, just relaxed and pleasant.

Leisure club: This was the icing on the cake. Guests have full access to the pool and fitness studio, and I enjoyed both. The gym is small but it has everything you could need, from free weights to cardio equipment, and the pool area has a sauna, steam room, and an outdoor jacuzzi. There was a brief break in the rain and the sun came out, so the outdoor jacuzzi had to be tested - and it was lovely.

Staff: Without exception - very welcoming and helpful. Service was much better than the standard of service in Dublin.

As I checked in, I noticed a big group coming in for an event, and I wondered if I had chosen a noisy time and place for a quiet night's rest. I needn't have worried. While in some hotels you hear constant banging of doors and noise from people moving along the corridor, there was no noise at all through the night, even though the hotel was busy. I think that's a sign of a well-built hotel.

The Hillgrove Hotel sets the bar high for service, and I look forward to staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2011

my boyfriend and myself decided to stay at the hillgrove for two nights witht he eveneing meal check in was great, beautiful reception area, we were informed that unfortunatly the restaruarnt was closed, however we were more than welcome to dine either in the bar or in the reception area, to be honest the hotel was so nice that i wasnt going to let it ruin the very rare occassion that we get away, so i wasnt going to complain, it wasnt really a big problem at the time. arriving in our room we found the champange, chocolates and bathrobes that my boyfriend ordered to surprise me, was a great touch. decided to explore the spa that we had access to for free, however on arrival we were told that we needed slipper and a cap, was a little dissappointed that we had to pay for the slippers as they were the exact same ones that we had in our room, however no big deal we paid and the spa was great, in fact we spent most of our time in it, only thing thatw as annoying was the outside hottube has no switch to turn it on, so you have to wait for around 1o minutes before it starts. on are first night we decided to have a wlak around the town, as we were staying during the week it was pretty quiet, so we headed back tot eh hotel and opted for an early night. getting into bed i realsied that we wernt int he double bed as requested but in two single beds pushed together, working as a receptionist myself i am aware that hotels can do this when no doubles are available, however the guest should eb informed when booking that this is the case. one of the twins was higher than the other, which ment that every time i moved i kept hitting my leg, didnt sleep that well, so didnt waken to alte the next day, didnt want to make a fuss, after they obviously didnt have a double available, however it wasnt until i was int he spa spekaing with another guest that i found out he was staying in a double room for single occupancy, this got me very annoyed. that eveing we went to have are romantic dinner in the front bar, was awful, children running about and no seats available, we ended up having to go back to are room, because to be honest i wasnt for eating my dinner in the reception area. so after an hour we went back down and just decided that we would have to eat at the bar, i was starving. the waitress was great, she seemed genuinely mortified that we were having are four course meal at the bar, she quickly found a table and got it cleaned for us, and gave us great service, the hillgrove are very lucky to have such great staff with impeccable customer service. had breakfast the next morning, was nothing special, in fact i felt like i was back at the school canteen, although the decore is very nice. emailed the general manager of the hotel, however was off on holidays so another lady dealt with my complaint who i asume was the acting manager, was very proffesional in delaing with me, and very quick to responde, even when she didnt get hold of me the first time she tried numerous times until she did, once again showing the great customer service that they have she apologised about the twin beds and explained this was an error on their behalf, these things happen as for the dinner she did offer us an evening meal for two on the hotel on a friday night for the inconvience, however i was not looking anything for free by complaining, so will not be taking them up on the offer as all i wanted was an apology and i got it, great hotel will stay again if i am every back down that way again and will definitley be recommending it to friends, however would just say that if you have a problem it is best to say something while there as i would be very confiedent in saying that they will do there best to help resolve the situation, something i sould have done because i didnt want to cause a fuss, but knowing what i do now i know that they would have been more than happy to help.

Room Tip: make sure and request a double bed, and ensure and ask if it will be two twins pushed together
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mckinley_a
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Excellent staff-- at desk, roomkeepers, barmen and waiters. Breakfast is full Irish-included with rate-- service is outstanding there as well, much better than a nearby hotel we stayed at in the past.
Look for discounts not shown online- a phone call is worth it. If a senior, ask for special rate. Sunday dinner specials fantastic!
My wife and I loved it there!

Room Tip: Call the hotel for specials then compare online.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monaghan
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
The Glencarn Hotel
The Glencarn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney

Been to Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa? Share your experiences!