“Boyne Valley Private Tour”
Review of Boyne Valley Tours

Boyne Valley Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$58.59*
and up
Boyne Valley, Celtic Ireland & Trim Castle...
Ranked #2 of 10 Tours in County Meath
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Day Tours of the Boyne Valley, County Meath, rich in heritage and history. Visit the heritage capital of Ireland as your personal driver brings you from one location to the other to stroll around at your ease. Take a suggested tour or design your own. Since your tour is personalised, you will be picked up from your accommodation in the Meath / Dublin area.
Reviewed October 31, 2016

My husband and I were travelling Ireland for our honeymoon in October 2016. After over a week of driving in the west, when we got to Dublin we decided to ditch the rental car and relax. The historic sites in the Boyne Valley region were really important for us not to miss, so I spent a ton of time researching the best private guide for the area. We didn't want to see the region on a large tour bus and be at the mercy of their schedule (along with the fact that it takes so long to herd 20+ people to each site!), and was so fortunate to come across Michael Fox and his private tours. He was so easy to communicate with for the weeks leading up to our trip. We were even able to pay in full prior to traveling via Pay Pal - SO convenient! Michael reached out to me a couple days prior to our tour to confirm he would be picking us up at our hotel and the time. He was early and his car was very comfortable!

Michael was so easy to converse with the entire day and truly created an itinerary that was special to us, including a surprise stop at a new brewery/distillery that wasn't even opened yet! My husband is a Brewmaster from the States, so that was a really special addition to our day. We didn't miss one site that we hoped to visit, and even got to see a couple other bonus locations. We got to Newgrange for the first tour of the day, and nearly had the place to ourselves! Michael was very knowledgeable about the sites and shared his passion for history with us throughout the day.

We are sincerely grateful for our day of tour and it will be a memory of a lifetime thanks to Michael's experience, insight and patience - it made for an exceptional day, highly recommended!

All reviews
"dublin airport"
in 4 reviews
"highlight of our trip"

Reviewed October 22, 2016

Michael put together a day tour of the Boyne Valley for me. I especially wanted to see Newgrange. He made sure that we got there early enough for me to tour the site ahead of the crowd. Over the course of the day we saw, prehistoric sites, religious sites and historical sights. Michael is well informed and pleasant. He had a plan for the day, but was very flexible and suggested other possibilities. He made sure I had the tour I wanted.

1  Thank dgoodwin49
Reviewed October 17, 2016

I had long wanted to see Neolithic sites in the UK and EU, and I got my opportunity when I had a couple of extra days in Dublin. I found the Boyne Valley Tours website while searching sites to visit, and I sent an inquiry to Michael Fox. The tour was easily arranged. A friend and I were guided and driven by Michael to four sites, Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth and Loughcrew. We also had lunch in a hotel in Slane and visited the Hill of Tara before returning to Dublin. Michael is very friendly, considerate and knowledgeable, and it was an exceptional, action-packed day. The car he drove is very comfortable, and he organized things so that we never felt rushed. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to see sights near Dublin.

1  Thank Stuart L
Reviewed October 11, 2016

I wanted to avoid the large bus tours when exploring the Boyne Valley, and rather than rent a car and try to navigate all of the locations myself, I opted for a day trip with Michael Fox from Boyne Valley Tours. He was very responsive to all e-mails that I sent, and when he picked me up from the hotel in the morning, he was extremely punctual. The car was extremely clean and comfortable, and it made travel times between sites go by quickly and smoothly.

Michael was extremely accommodating, and he worked with my itinerary in order to see all of the sites on my list in the most appropriate order based upon location and opening times. Newgrange and Knowth were the first stop of the day, and he arrived to the site in time for the first tour of the day to avoid the crowds and ensure a ticket. If you plan on seeing a lot of sites throughout Ireland during your visit, I highly recommend purchasing a Heritage Card for 25 euros that allows you entry into many state-managed sites, including many places within the Boyne Valley.

While Michael is not a trained historian, he does have a passion for his local history that is quite evident. He is moderately knowledgeable about all of the sites within the Boyne Valley, and he knows many of the people at these sites, so you may get an impromptu tour/access by an employee if you are lucky (e.g. at Old Mellifont Abbey I was granted access to a locked chapter house and heard a very interesting story about the property by a guide).

Michael spent the entire day showing me around the area, and I was able to see every location on my desired itinerary, as well as a few added bonuses. This was an excellent way to tour the region and have full control over the sites you visited, without the busloads of crowds that you would expect on a large bus tour. While the tour is a tad expensive for a solo traveler, it is well worth it if you have a real interest in exploring the Boyne Valley and hearing about the history of the region. I highly recommend Michael Fox's day trip!

1  Thank JMC80
See more reviews
Reviewed October 3, 2016 via mobile

Michael was a fantastic private tour guide who truly made our time in Ireland memorable. We hired Michael to take us from Dublin to Newgrange and the Boyne Valley. We were a group of three - my wife and I both in our early thirties and her mother in her mid-70s. It was our first time in Ireland and after spending a day taking in the sites of Dublin we wanted to explore the area.

First off, his car was immaculate and the smooth ride made the day feel luxurious. Michael took us to the famous Newgrange passage tombs, Hill of Tara, Trim Castle, and a number of historical sites and ruins. He shared his deep knowledge of the area so that the history came to life at each stop. He also made sure that we saw some of the incredible views and landscape of the Boyne Valley.

Many of the people working in the area - from the restaurants to the historical sites - knew Michael and he easily navigated his way around some of the larger tour groups so that we could quickly get seated for lunch and gain quick entry through some of the lines. He went above and beyond while getting tickets for our first stop, running ahead to make sure we had tickets for the first shuttle up to Newgrange while my mother-in-law, who recently had knee replacement surgery and wasn't able to move as quickly, was able to get to the Visitor's Center at her own pace.

As a guide, Michael was friendly, prompt, and made sure we saw as much as possible without making us feel rushed or exhausted by the end of the day.

Highly recommend.