“Not knowledgable of tour area”
Review of Boyne Valley Tours

Boyne Valley Tours
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in County Meath
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Day Tours of the Boyne Valley, County Meath, rich in heritage and history. Visit the heritage capital of Ireland as your personal driver brings you from one location to the other to stroll around at your ease. Take a suggested tour or design your own. Since your tour is personalised, you will be picked up from your accommodation in the Meath / Dublin area.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We travelled with Michael Fox to the National Stud and Japanese Garden in Co. Kildare, a tour that is advertised on the website. Trouble was, he had no knowledge of the area and openly admitted that after we were already in the car and headed in that direction. We had allocated that day to visit that location and made a booking with him in advance. He had every chance to say that he knew nothing about the area at that time. Nice enough fellow, but before travelling with him, make sure he knows something about where you are going.

1  Thank Susana H
Fourknocks, Owner at Boyne Valley Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

The Boyne Valley is the area I know best however I have done private tours to Kildare and Wicklow, while my knowledge is not as comprehensive as the Boyne Valley, I do know the area. It was my first time to take guests to the National Stud and Japanese Garden which are a joint attraction. I had researched the attraction in advance and got my guests to the Japanese Garden before it got busy, there were only a few other people in the Garden and my guests got great opportunities for photos. My guests then went on a tour of the National Stud conducted by a very knowledgably and entertaining member of Staff. I then brought them to St. Brigid's Well a place I have visited many times. We then visited St. Brigid's cathedral and round tour in Kildare town. My guests asked for a lunch recommendation, so I took them to Silken Thomas Pub where they serve good food. We had travelled down the motorway to Kildare and when my guests asked to return on country roads, I took them on one of the most scenic drives in Ireland, up through the Wicklow Gap to Glendalough. I directed my guest to a good spot for a photo of the round tour from the bridge over the nearby river. We then headed off on another scenic drive over the Sally Gap, stopping for photos at the Glenmacnass Waterfall. We arrived back in Dublin at the end of a nine hour day. My guests mentioned they may have left an item at a restaurant the night before, so I offered to take them to the restaurant to check it out. It was only a few minutes drive from their accommodation so I gladly took them there and then brought them to their accommodation. The fact remains that my guests were not satisfied with their tour, so I will contact them directly to see what I can do for them.
Michael Fox

in 3 reviews
"own pace"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Michael Fox made our trip to Ireland an experience that exceeded our expectations. He is full of information and unexpected insights into his county. His knowladge was boundless.
We enjoyed his humor and the taste of life in Ireland.
Michael was with us for a week. Never a difficult moment. Just lots of fun. His timing for meals and breaks we perfect. When the weather made outside unplesant, Michael had a perfect indoor plan. Not a moment was wasted.
His knowledge of the Boyne Valley made our vist there even more special. He knows where the best examples of High Crosses and Celtic religion are located.
If you are able to book Michael for a tour of all of Ireland or a day in the Boyne Valley, you are in for a treat. You will get more that you pay for and a new friend.
We cannot recommend Michael highly enough. Harold and Jill

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had very specific reasons for visiting the Boyne Valley and limited time to see some of the more remote sites in a single day visit. Michael was superb in exceeding our aspirations, our detailed questions and great company to spend the day with. We spent a fascinating 11 hours with him, and even tasted the delicious cakes of his charming daughter. I work in heritage management and have trained professional tour guides and archaeologists and was delighted with the high quality of Michael's tour, with real attention to detail, and a personal service delivered with genuine insight and humour. First class. Given that we travelled in biting cold weather our day was a huge success, with just the right place for a delicious lunch. We covered so much, it felt like we had spent a week in Michael's good company. Far better than a cheap coach trip, you will gain so much more and travel in a very comfortable car. I would say there is huge added value in spending a day with Michael, not matter what your needs. Marion and Mike

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I travel the world for business and get to spend a few extra days touring the local sites. I must admit, the tour with Michael is at the top of the list for favorite tours. My wife went with me on this trip to Ireland and surprised me with this tour she arranged. We had the best day!! We went all over Boyne valley and visited three times more sites than if we went on a tour bus. This alone made it worth while! We also made an extra stop by the beach when we found out we were five minutes from it. (We collect sand from around the world) We were in winter clothes but collected our sand and Michael was there to take a picture of us frozen on the beach. LOL!! When I say this is the best tour i've been on... I mean it. and I've been on safaris, Harley excursions, and been on trips around the world. If you go to Ireland you have to try and get Michael to show you around if he is available! You will definately have the best tourist guide in Ireland! ~Tom

See more reviews
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Michael Fox made our day in the Boyne Valley extra special. He picked us up at our hotel in a gleaming black Audi and spent the next 10.5 hours focused solely on the desires of my wife and me. He asked us what kinds of things we were interested in and what we wanted to see. He knew the ins and outs of all the places we visited - what time would be best to be at each site, what order to see them in, when to get in line, what line to get in, what to see when we were in the site. It was just like if you knew someone personally who was knowledgeable and lived in the area and they offered to spend the day showing you the sights. Michael was easy to talk to and there were never any awkward silences. I felt like we knew Michael as an old friend. This kind of tour is pricey compared to other "economy" tours, and I know not everyone will be able to afford it. We know we were fortunate to be able to enjoy this kind of personalized experience. For those who are able to make the choice to take advantage of this kind of personalized tour what you really want to know is do you get you money's worth? I can unequivocally say yes from my perspective and experience.

1  Thank MJM0327